PDA

View Full Version : help with first build

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 10:17
So I'm interested in putting together a 556 system for my girl to shoot. She is all of 5 foot tall and 100lbs so she wants something lightweight. All of my guns are combat ready and will eat any ammo (cheap steel and whatever else I can feed them) and I want this to be that way as well. Budget is 1k-1.5k. Help me piece things together with some suggestions, I have a shop locally that does transfers up to 5 at a time for 20$ so that will help with getting the parts in. I've never built an AR from the ground up (owned a wilson tactical super sniper before the AWB was over back in 2003). No SBR's as I want to avoid the tax stamp and put that to use elsewhere.

In short, I want it to be reliable and lightweight. I've thought about buying a Daniel Defense lightweight but if I can build something better cheaper then so be it. I'm in no rush to get this done either, I have patience to wait for the right price/parts.

Zane1844
04-09-13, 10:37
My suggestion:

Piece together a lower, anyone you want with a good parts.

Get on the notify list on the BCM site for their LW uppers. Then I would put a Noveske NSR 9" rail on it, I did not realize till after that it is a few ounces lighter than my DD Omega X rail.

Research the Vltor A5 system for I have heard it will lead to better reliability and softer shooting,I cannot speak for it, though. Then throw a BCM comp, BattleComp, etc. on it for more recoil control.

If she wants a RDS, a R1 might do if you do not mind the color or will paint it. Or you can go for a H1 or T1- though will this be her "battle ready" carbine? If so, I'd go for the H1 over R1.

BTW, the only thing that your shop will have to transfer is the lower, or complete carbine you choose to buy, the rest can be shipped to your door.

BCM LW BFH upper in stock now!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

crusader377
04-09-13, 10:38
I did a similar light weight build about 2 years ago using a Daniel Defense Upper. I now have several thousand rounds through the rifle with zero problems and it will eat every type of round that I have shot through it. Here is the thread that details the rifle.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73857

The only downside is parts availability and pricing is higher than when I built my carbine.

Another option is buy a factory carbine and I would shortlist the following:

Colt 6720
BCM LW carbine or middy
Custom built Daniel Defense
or the S&W Midlength MOE.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=311054

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 10:55
My suggestion:

Piece together a lower, anyone you want with a good parts.

Get on the notify list on the BCM site for their LW uppers. Then I would put a Noveske NSR 9" rail on it, I did not realize till after that it is a few ounces lighter than my DD Omega X rail.

Research the Vltor A5 system for I have heard it will lead to better reliability and softer shooting,I cannot speak for it, though. Then throw a BCM comp, BattleComp, etc. on it for more recoil control.

If she wants a RDS, a R1 might do if you do not mind the color or will paint it. Or you can go for a H1 or T1- though will this be her "battle ready" carbine? If so, I'd go for the H1 over R1.

BTW, the only thing that your shop will have to transfer is the lower, or complete carbine you choose to buy, the rest can be shipped to your door.

BCM LW BFH upper in stock now!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

I bought the BCM upper with the BCM boltcarrier and BCM charging handle. Nice. Anymore suggestions to go along with this stuff?

Zane1844
04-09-13, 10:59
I bought the BCM upper with the BCM boltcarrier and BCM charging handle. Nice. Anymore suggestions to go along with this stuff?

Great, remember to get a rear sight since it does not come with one.

Also, you will need tools if you are going to replace the barrel nut yourself, and install the new one. Though, I am sure you are prepared for this since you are looking to build.

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 11:29
What lower kit should I be looking for? I saw PSA has a complete kit for 129.99. Should I hold off for a better deal (saw they did 79.99 at one point but who knows). I'm sure she would love a nice clean trigger break with a short reset with her small hands. Not sure about the style of grip either. Decisions decisions.

crusader377
04-09-13, 11:38
What lower kit should I be looking for? I saw PSA has a complete kit for 129.99. Should I hold off for a better deal (saw they did 79.99 at one point but who knows). I'm sure she would love a nice clean trigger break with a short reset with her small hands. Not sure about the style of grip either. Decisions decisions.

The PSA kit should work fine. I personally like the magpul MOE grip but the standard A2 also works. I never had a problem with the USGI style trigger and I would use the base trigger as a starting point and upgrade later if needed. It only takes 5-10 minutes to swap out triggers.

The BCM upper is a great choice BTW.

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 11:40
The PSA kit should work fine. I personally like the magpul MOE grip but the standard A2 also works. I never had a problem with the USGI style trigger and I would use the base trigger as a starting point and upgrade later if needed. It only takes 5-10 minutes to swap out triggers.

The BCM upper is a great choice BTW.

I've heard nothing but great things about DD and BCM but since they had a combo deal it was hard not to pick it up. Hell, I didn't even think I would start ordering parts yet but why not since they happened to be in stock.

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 12:38
Great, remember to get a rear sight since it does not come with one.

Gonna pick up a Troy for the rear.

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 16:24
So I bought a stripped PSA lower and their parts kit, I already have PRI barrel nut wrench laying around in the tool box somewhere.

Do you guys really think I need a free float setup for her? I have a FN scar 17 on order and the only time she will use this is at a 100 yard range max. If she needs more she would pick up my Scar (though she probably couldn't shoot much). I don't even know that she wants a red dot (she hates my kids marlin that has a scope, preferred it when it was iron sights). Couldn't I just go with a magpul mid length guard and vertical grip (she prefers the feel of vertical grips). I guess I can always upgrade later and the guard and grip are like 50$ shipped and returnable.

Zane1844
04-09-13, 16:31
So I bought a stripped PSA lower and their parts kit, I already have PRI barrel nut wrench laying around in the tool box somewhere.

Do you guys really think I need a free float setup for her? I have a FN scar 17 on order and the only time she will use this is at a 100 yard range max. If she needs more she would pick up my Scar (though she probably couldn't shoot much). I don't even know that she wants a red dot (she hates my kids marlin that has a scope, preferred it when it was iron sights). Couldn't I just go with a magpul mid length guard and vertical grip (she prefers the feel of vertical grips). I guess I can always upgrade later and the guard and grip are like 50$ shipped and returnable.

Go with what she wants, it sounds cheaper too :D

AKDoug
04-09-13, 16:41
My 13 y.o. daughter shoots with me all the time. She far prefers my iron sight BCM upper with a magpul moe handguard. It's simple and it's light. She shoots just fine with it. She was shooting a 4" steel gong on Sunday from 50 yards standing and she went 20 for 20 at one stretch. Even though it only weighs a pound more, my Aimpoint Pro equipped rifle will drag her down in short order.

jaybarbour
04-09-13, 16:54
My 13 y.o. daughter shoots with me all the time. She far prefers my iron sight BCM upper with a magpul moe handguard. It's simple and it's light. She shoots just fine with it. She was shooting a 4" steel gong on Sunday from 50 yards standing and she went 20 for 20 at one stretch. Even though it only weighs a pound more, my Aimpoint Pro equipped rifle will drag her down in short order.

Awesome, that's what I was thinking. Ordered everything today to put it together. Good timing i guess. Now all i need to do is fine some pmags at a good price and maybe a surefire for me to have fun with. ROFL.

MistWolf
04-09-13, 21:24
Just go with a basic carbine configuration and make changes as her shooting experience dictates. You'll be fine starting off with MOE furniture

TheyCallMeGmoney
04-09-13, 22:00
If she likes the magpul hand guards go with that but I just put this MI freeloat on my new middy build and love it the 12" is only 9oz, its also form fitting to the barrel so very minimal no bulk to it and it looks pretty sweet, comes with itsown barrel nut and wrench for install, then you can throw a magpul RVG on it. Just food for thought.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/forends-handguards/ar-15-m16-gen-ii-ss-series-handguard-prod53954.aspx

byrddawg
04-09-13, 22:14
I am probably the least experienced to reply so... grain of salt.

After building my first rifle recently, I found, and wish I had gone with, a billet lower just for the upper tension screw. I believe some forged lowers have implemented this, but am not sure. I am OCD and for a build that is meant to be reliable and sturdy it irritates - even if it does not hurt anything to have a wobble within the receivers. There are the accuwedges and o-ring fixes, but that made me feel I was jerry rigging my rifle. Next time I am going to make sure I rather buy the receivers as a set, or get one with a tension screw.

Iraqgunz
04-10-13, 00:44
Yet, it's nonsense for the reasons you pointed out. I would rather have a functional and reliable carbine now, than spend money on some gimmicky billet lower in the future.

I am probably the least experienced to reply so... grain of salt.

After building my first rifle recently, I found, and wish I had gone with, a billet lower just for the upper tension screw. I believe some forged lowers have implemented this, but am not sure. I am OCD and for a build that is meant to be reliable and sturdy it irritates - even if it does not hurt anything to have a wobble within the receivers. There are the accuwedges and o-ring fixes, but that made me feel I was jerry rigging my rifle. Next time I am going to make sure I rather buy the receivers as a set, or get one with a tension screw.

byrddawg
04-10-13, 01:36
Yet, it's nonsense for the reasons you pointed out. I would rather have a functional and reliable carbine now, than spend money on some gimmicky billet lower in the future.

I did not say put the majority of the money in a lower. For a rifle that will last as long as one would expect from a solid build, an extra $100 or so is not that big a deal to me personally. Plus a lot of them have more benefits than just that. So no, I do not think it is nonsense. Also, as I mentioned, I do believe there are forged lowers with it as well, example (http://megaarms.com/ar-15/lower-receivers/forged-lower/). It is an option to look into if you have a little bigger budget, and would like to make sure you have a nice snug fit. It is not a must that doubles the rifle cost. Thats all I was saying.

byrddawg
04-10-13, 02:08
Something else I just came across.

MG-G4 Ultralight AR Lower (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/mg-g4ultralightarlower.aspx#.UWUPOsqReAc)

polymorpheous
04-10-13, 03:16
Just go with a basic carbine configuration and make changes as her shooting experience dictates. You'll be fine starting off with MOE furniture

I agree with this.

AKDoug
04-10-13, 10:43
Byrddawg- Skip the gimmicks. There is NO need for an upper tension screw. No need for an unproven magnesium lower. There is no need for a billet lower vs. a forged. In fact, forged is often stronger. The coolest thing you can do is save your money, buy ammo, and learn to really shoot.

jaybarbour
04-10-13, 10:55
Something else I just came across.

MG-G4 Ultralight AR Lower (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/mg-g4ultralightarlower.aspx#.UWUPOsqReAc)

Cool to see them using magnesium and I looked at a Sun Devil billet that a friend of mine has. I just don't see the point for my girl. I don't think going with a forged lower is going to cost her life or durability. From all the research it was just that it was prettier and more aesthetically pleasing. I can always buy another lower later and another upper for our kid and switch things around.

Everything is ordered. Total cost just as an FYI for anyone who is building in the current market. I might have saved a few bucks if I waited but it was still within budget so I just went for it.

BCM LW 16" uppper with BCM BCG (auto) and BCM Gunfighter CH
818.95 shipped.
PSA forged lower 119.99
Troy Rear BUIS w/tritrium (fixed) 111
PSA classic LPK 129.99
shipping on those was 14$ plus 20$ for my FFL transfer of the lower
MOE Mid-Length Handguard, Black 29 shipped
Magpul MOE MVG Grip, Black 17.90 shipped

1261.82 total shipped.

Still need some mags but I'm not going to overpay on Magpul's when they have been popping up for normal prices lately. Found surefire's for myself for 111 shipped but since it would only be for me I'm in no rush there (saw them for 90ish before).

I have 1k rounds on it's way, plus some that I've hung onto so she will be fine for a whlie. She is already an excellent shot with my kids Marlin 60 with an ati stock and a cheap barska scope. I imagine she will be much better with a rifle that isn't so front heavy.

byrddawg
04-11-13, 03:41
Byrddawg- Skip the gimmicks. There is NO need for an upper tension screw. No need for an unproven magnesium lower. There is no need for a billet lower vs. a forged. In fact, forged is often stronger. The coolest thing you can do is save your money, buy ammo, and learn to really shoot.
Damn, I can't win for losing. My second post trying to help someone who was merely asking for suggestions and I went from full of nonsense to gimmicky. I thought the OP’s original post had three requirements: (1) 1-1.5k, (2) Lightweight, and (3) Reliable.
Well, reliability is always on mind, and 1-1.5k sounds like he wants to splurge a little somewhere to get the weight down or he probably would have just got a standard carbine like this S&W (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Smith-Wesson-MP15-Sport-Centerfire-Rifle&i=GM443424&aID=510E3C&merchID=4006) or this DPMS (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=DPMS-Panther-Arms-Oracle-Centerfire-Rifle&i=721060&aID=510E3C&merchID=4006), or this Bushmaster (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Bushmaster-M4A3-Patrolman-s-Carbine-Centerfire-Rifle&i=GM442165&aID=510E3C&merchID=4006) for $100 - $400 dollars cheaper.
I thought I was given SUGGESTIONS that fit the game plan - lightweight. Skeleton stock, that MG-G4 or a carbon lower, and a 14.5” pinned pencil barrel are the only ways I am aware of to cut down weight. Something has to give; you can’t wish a standard milspec rifle lighter.

Nor is the tension screw gimmicky. It serves a purpose when mismatched manufacturer receivers do not fit together like one would expect for a set. $130 forged milspec lower that has an added threaded hole for a tension screw (http://megaarms.com/ar-15/lower-receivers/forged-lower/), (which only cost $10 dollars more than what was spent) I doubt is going to break anyone’s bank or make his daughter’s rifle fall apart.

OP I am glad you got everything lined up and ready. I am sure she is going to be stoked.

polymorpheous
04-11-13, 05:12
Damn, I can't win for losing. My second post trying to help someone who was merely asking for suggestions and I went from full of nonsense to gimmicky. I thought the OP’s original post had three requirements: (1) 1-1.5k, (2) Lightweight, and (3) Reliable.
Well, reliability is always on mind, and 1-1.5k sounds like he wants to splurge a little somewhere to get the weight down or he probably would have just got a standard carbine like this S&W (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Smith-Wesson-MP15-Sport-Centerfire-Rifle&i=GM443424&aID=510E3C&merchID=4006) or this DPMS (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=DPMS-Panther-Arms-Oracle-Centerfire-Rifle&i=721060&aID=510E3C&merchID=4006), or this Bushmaster (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Bushmaster-M4A3-Patrolman-s-Carbine-Centerfire-Rifle&i=GM442165&aID=510E3C&merchID=4006) for $100 - $400 dollars cheaper.
I thought I was given SUGGESTIONS that fit the game plan - lightweight. Skeleton stock, that MG-G4 or a carbon lower, and a 14.5” pinned pencil barrel are the only ways I am aware of to cut down weight. Something has to give; you can’t wish a standard milspec rifle lighter.

Nor is the tension screw gimmicky. It serves a purpose when mismatched manufacturer receivers do not fit together like one would expect for a set. $130 forged milspec lower that has an added threaded hole for a tension screw (http://megaarms.com/ar-15/lower-receivers/forged-lower/), (which only cost $10 dollars more than what was spent) I doubt is going to break anyone’s bank or make his daughter’s rifle fall apart.

OP I am glad you got everything lined up and ready. I am sure she is going to be stoked.

This poster is a great example of "read more, post less".
In his previous post he admits to being the least experienced, but still feels the need to post.

One of our beloved mods would say, "You didn't have anything to say, but you just had to say something."

Sir, I humbly suggest that you read the sticky thread at the top of the technical subforums.
The rifles you linked to are garbage, (mostly), and it reflects your lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

Read for a while, and get the feel for this community.
You'll find that this is a far different place than AR15.com and thehighroad.

This is not a fit and finish crowd.
Receiver wobble is not an issue.
This has been discussed to death.
Utilize the orange search feature.

uffdaphil
04-11-13, 09:02
I'm looking for virtually the same end build as the OP. The BCM middie 14.5 LW upper ordered Tue @ 11pm arrives today. And they warned about probable delays! I too went all Magpul for weight. Only thing I changed, besides Battle Comp, was using an smooth ALG QMS trigger. My last two PSA triggers were one good and one grinder. Went with a Gator lower.

IG turned me on to Springco buffer springs. Not sure if blue for these lengths. Did not see if OP got mid or carbine.

Jay, please post a pic here when you are done. So many threads end without ever putting up the money shot.

bruin
04-11-13, 10:59
Make sure the receiver extension tube (buffer tube) you got from PSA is 7075. They still list 6061 tubes with some of their LPK build kits.

I would also wait on the vertical grip; it's best to shoot for awhile without one before evaluating whether it will enhance your performance. Also, tritium on the rear sight is pretty much useless. Return it and get one without (or save some decent cash with a Magpul MBUS and start saving for a quality RDS).

Kyohte
04-11-13, 11:41
I recently helped my wife put together a rifle. One thing I would advise is to not push things for the rifle that she doesn't want unless it's a matter of quality. The more she feels the rifle is "hers" she'll be more likely to use it. So when picking out things like rail systems, grips, etc, let her pick out what she wants within a spectrum of quality gear. I took my wife to every gun store in the area and let her try it all to get a feel for what she wanted. It is key to explain to your wife that the gun store employees are mostly talking out their ass and to discuss anything about the rifles AFTER leaving to avoid those awkward gun store moments. If she liked something of crap quality, find out what she likes about it and find a similar item that is better built.

Anyway, we ended up with a BCM recce upper with Magpul MOE furniture and a BCM pistol-grip. I gave her an old lower of mine and let her assemble it. Oh, it helps to have her read the first couple chapters of "Green Eyes, Black Rifles" by Kyle Lamb to help her understand what she is looking for when she is buying something.

jaybarbour
04-11-13, 15:04
Make sure the receiver extension tube (buffer tube) you got from PSA is 7075. They still list 6061 tubes with some of their LPK build kits.

I would also wait on the vertical grip; it's best to shoot for awhile without one before evaluating whether it will enhance your performance. Also, tritium on the rear sight is pretty much useless. Return it and get one without (or save some decent cash with a Magpul MBUS and start saving for a quality RDS).

I'll check the tube when it comes in, the kit doesn't say what it is. All the reviews were good from what I read and I figured I could always up grade it later as I'm well within budget.

She has shot a few AR's before and always likes the vertical grip. Her vision isn't that great and for the few bucks extra if the tritium helps her then it's worth it. She doesn't like optics so I'm not wasting the cash on it for now. If she changes her mind I'll switch it to a flip up BUIS and then add something later.

Pics will be posted when it's all put together, PSA hasn't shipped their lower but the upper will be here tomorrow. I leave for an 8 days out of the country on Saturday so hopefully it's all waiting for me when i get back. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, hopefully this thread will help out others as well.

Beachboy
04-11-13, 23:02
Just go buy a Colt 6920. They are available in the big box stores from $1097.00 and up. M4 profile, with 16" barrel, all mil spec. Done.

darr3239
04-11-13, 23:31
I understand the reasoning behind building a "custom" gun, but the 6920 ain't heavy, and it's ready to go. Especially considering the current un-availability of parts.

Yeah, I know, where do I get a Colt 6920? Walmart is still getting them in at regular intervals.

jaybarbour
04-11-13, 23:58
I understand the reasoning behind building a "custom" gun, but the 6920 ain't heavy, and it's ready to go. Especially considering the current un-availability of parts.

Yeah, I know, where do I get a Colt 6920? Walmart is still getting them in at regular intervals.

Where I am they get them and they are sold the second they hit the floor. I already purchased everything I need so telling me to buy a factory colt for lack of parts availability isn't a good reason. The LGS that have them still want 1500 or more for them.

darr3239
04-12-13, 14:34
Gotcha. It's definitely hit and miss with anything at Wally World. When they have them the price seems to be sticking at $1097.

Beachboy
04-12-13, 14:46
Yes, $1097.00 standard and $1147.00 Magpul. Saw 2 standards in last 30 hours. 1 yesterday and 1 this morning in a different Wally World 1 county over.

jaybarbour
04-12-13, 17:45
Yes, $1097.00 standard and $1147.00 Magpul. Saw 2 standards in last 30 hours. 1 yesterday and 1 this morning in a different Wally World 1 county over.

We have one and only one in the area that carries them. They won't tell you when they are there and they wont tell you when they are coming in if they are on the list. It wasn't worth my time, the rifle I am putting together is a better rifle and not much more than the magpul colt.

The upper showed up today along with the charging handle and BCG. They also threw in a hat, a gigantic poster and some other stuff.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/jaybarbour/DSCN0025.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jaybarbour/media/DSCN0025.jpg.html)

jaybarbour
04-26-13, 14:53
all done, just waiting on my 3rd gen window pmags to show up next week.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/jaybarbour/20130426_1524561.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jaybarbour/media/20130426_1524561.jpg.html)

also picked up the kid a new toy

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/jaybarbour/20130426_1524141.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jaybarbour/media/20130426_1524141.jpg.html)

Zane1844
04-26-13, 14:58
Nice man!

markm
04-26-13, 15:10
Pics of the Chick please. :p

jaybarbour
04-26-13, 16:01
Pics of the Chick please. :p

Us in Grand Cayman

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/jaybarbour/grandcayman.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jaybarbour/media/grandcayman.jpg.html)

Hopefully some of you see why I wanted it light weight and with a foregrip. Being 4'11" on a good day is tough for her sometimes, splitting skirts getting into my Jeep is a common occurance.

darr3239
04-26-13, 16:35
Excellent build Jay.

For the first time I handled a Magpul 6920, a couple of weeks ago, after my son talked his brother in law into one for his first rifle. I never thought much of the handguards visually, but now I really like them. They really feel right for my hands and I don't know if you can find lighter, while still allowing add-ons if you think you really need them. I'm one of those who, after trying this and that, like the lightest ARs the best.

That beach photo is spectacular in more ways than one, but that guy in the background looks like me, and what the heck is he doing with a cell phone at a place like that?

jaybarbour
04-26-13, 16:38
Excellent build Jay.

For the first time I handled a Magpul 6920, a couple of weeks ago, after my son talked his brother in law into one for his first rifle. I never thought much of the handguards visually, but now I really like them. They really feel right for my hands and I don't know if you can find lighter, while still allowing add-ons if you think you really need them. I'm one of those who, after trying this and that, like the lightest ARs the best.

That beach photo is spectacular in more ways than one, but that guy in the background looks like me, and what the heck is he doing with a cell phone at a place like that?

ROFL, every time I go out of the country I turn my phone off the entire time. I'm on vacation, there is no one I want to talk to besides the people I'm with.

The gun is pretty light, can't wait for the mags to show up. Took me long enough to find some at a reasonable price.

Beachboy
04-26-13, 17:35
Glad to see that it has all turned out well for you. It is a nice build.

One of my AR's is set up with Magpul furniture and one of those I mentioned at a local Walmart was purchased by the lady I'm dating. Sometimes the Magpul is a nice change from by "Hi-Jack" copy of the Jack Carbine I'm putting together using my Colt 6940.

Congrats all the way around!

AKDoug
04-26-13, 17:51
I have two rifles virtually identical to yours. They are the ones my girls (daughters and wife) go for every time. I'm even beginning to like them more than my Daniel Defense V7. The MOE handguard is simple, cheap and just plain works.

jaybarbour
05-02-13, 20:05
So over the weekend I took it with me and the kid to the range (my girl had to work). I put 100 rounds through it and it really is a nice setup. Today she was off work so we headed to the range and did another 200 rounds, I want her to be able to do quicker follow up shots. What compensator should I get and is it something I can easily do? Thinking BCM again since I already have all the rest of the upper BCM.

Also is it worth it to upgrade to the A5 buffer/stock setup. What buffer should I look for? Suggestions?

Zane1844
05-02-13, 20:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=toDOSYGDMtY
So over the weekend I took it with me and the kid to the range (my girl had to work). I put 100 rounds through it and it really is a nice setup. Today she was off work so we headed to the range and did another 200 rounds, I want her to be able to do quicker follow up shots. What compensator should I get and is it something I can easily do? Thinking BCM again since I already have all the rest of the upper BCM.

Also is it worth it to upgrade to the A5 buffer/stock setup. What buffer should I look for? Suggestions?

The BCM comp is great and is very easy to put on.

Just YouTube the installation of comps or ask or search here.

You pretty much just use quarter turns, tighten and loosen the tighten further, until it's timed correctly.

jaybarbour
05-22-13, 15:17
So i added the BCM comp, switched out the PSA buffer setup for a spikes tactical and switch over to a CTR with extended butt pad.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/jaybarbour/DSCN0321.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jaybarbour/media/DSCN0321.jpg.html)

I think she is really really happy with it now. I can't get her to stop shooting it.

Zane1844
05-22-13, 15:46
So i added the BCM comp, switched out the PSA buffer setup for a spikes tactical and switch over to a CTR with extended butt pad.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/jaybarbour/DSCN0321.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/jaybarbour/media/DSCN0321.jpg.html)

I think she is really really happy with it now. I can't get her to stop shooting it.

Looks like it all turned out great.

jaybarbour
05-22-13, 15:50
Yeah now I can buy that Vepr from atlantic arms I've been eyeing. It was a good anniversary present for her.

BGREID
05-23-13, 09:59
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/13390/s/psa-16-mid-ctr-rifle-kit/?utm_source=Daily+Deal%3A+Mid-length+AR-15+Carbine+Kit&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email