PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus (ringing ears) treatment options

Serial_killer
04-09-13, 14:57
Hello fellow m4c'ers, I'm sure some of you are in the same situation as me and suffer constant ear ringing from unprotected ears during deployment or any other situation where the bad guy wouldn't wait for you to dawn your ear-pro before shooting (or an other loud situation you might find yourself in for extended periods)

I have just became aware there is a medicne for this, like my father did his entire life I just accepted this as how it is and never brought it up to the dr (I actually just learned it had a name other than "crickets constantly chirping" that I deceibe it as)

Does anyone here have an stories, good or bad, for the medicne and/or want to share their personal story?

I've got a dr appt. set up but since this is a new (to the dr, I've lived with it 3+ years now) condition I couldnt get in for 6 weeks so I want to learn all I can and be a well-informed patient when I finally get there.

montanadave
04-09-13, 15:23
I'm unaware of any effective treatments. But if you find something that provides some relief I'd love to know about it.

The only relief I have ever found is very brief moments of cessation during meditation. I've never been able to "induce" the silence and the instant I become aware of the silence, the normal ringing resumes. Tinnitus is a bitch.

rli7275
04-09-13, 18:39
Yeah I'd love to find some information also. For me it's always there. All Dr.'s ever told me was just protect what's left.

09fatbob
04-11-13, 11:33
Same for me protect what's left 15 years jet engines

Pork Chop
04-11-13, 12:06
Anybody else heard that ad on Sirius/XM radio for the tinnitus supplement? Quietus or something like that?

My ears ring so f-ing bad I've considered trying almost anything, even if its snake oil pills. Anybody ever try this stuff?

T2C
04-11-13, 12:27
Let me know what you find out; I would like to hear about anything that works. My ears have been ringing since 1981.

tuck
04-11-13, 12:29
I tried that Lipoflavanoid stuff that was advertised on TV awhile back. It didn't do much of anything for me. The way I understand it is that if your tinnitus is caused by exposure to excessive noise (like mine), you're pretty much stuck with it.

Spurholder
04-11-13, 15:02
OP, what's the name of the product you're referring to?

As a guy that sleeps with a box fan running to help mitigate the tone, any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

skydivr
04-11-13, 15:12
When the ringing stops - you're deaf....

rli7275
04-11-13, 17:02

As a guy that sleeps with a box fan running to help mitigate the tone, any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
+1 on the box fan. There is about six going in the bedroom at night. Seems all firemen have bad tinnitus. Sounds like a wind tunnel.

Serial_killer
04-11-13, 17:43

I tried that Lipoflavanoid stuff that was advertised on TV awhile back. It didn't do much of anything for me. The way I understand it is that if your tinnitus is caused by exposure to excessive noise (like mine), you're pretty much stuck with it.

That's what I had heard about I'm going to ask my dr specifically about, of course ill take whatever advice she gives me.

I don't go there often, I'm young and feel uncomfortable going to the VA plus I have my family dr I've gone to forever but last time I was there I noticed several adds and info pamphlets for Lipoflavanoid. They seem to be pushing it, atleast locally.
I've never attempted to do anything about it or even mentioned it to any of my dr's before so I figure its worth a try. I have a lot of med allergies so for all I know I can't even take it.

dmaxfireman
04-11-13, 18:54
I adapted my eating habits and it has helped more than I could have imagined!!!

First off let me say that I have white noise in my right ear and whistling in my left. I find that I still have flare ups when i get very stressed (blood pressure goes up) But my symptoms have gone down significantly.

My 'secret'; I gave up processed foods almost entirely, and decreased my sodium intake and drink lots of decaf tea with anti-oxidants. Cut down my red meat intake and increased my fish and chicken. And a huge sacrifice for me (fireman) no more coffee (caffeine) hence the decaf tea. I still slip a cup here and there but no more 2-3 cups a day.

Also whenever I go to the range now I am the guy with the HUGE ear muffs on packed full of extra foam and foamies in my ears as well.

I have no proof that the diet works except my own experiences and lots of research from different websites. Results were not overnight, I gradually improved over about 4-6 months before I was going to sleep one night and thought "Hey it's quiet!" Hopefully it can help some of your guys out.

PA PATRIOT
04-12-13, 10:03
There is also a few studies that suggest elevated blood sugar can aggravate ringing of the ears, I can't point to the study as I only heard a few details on the local news channel. Now from what I remember they are not taking about diabetes just a normal elevation of blood sugar after eating different foods.

.46caliber
04-12-13, 10:12
Good thread. I've been suffering for a number of years. I forgot to out plugs back in for 1 mag of .45. My ears started ringing and never stopped.

I hope we hear some success stories

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Hmac
04-12-13, 10:59
The only effective treatment for tinnitus is to remove the underlying cause, if possible. If it's caused by ear wax, respiratory infection, or some medication that you're taking, addressing those issues may help. If it's caused, as it usually is, by damage to the inner ear from age and/or noise exposure, you're pretty much hosed. Like a lot of medical issues that are common and don't have any good treatment, the field is ripe for all kinds of bullshit "treatments", mostly advertised on satellite radio or late-night infomercials. I'm sure drug companies will continue to look for some sort of medical treatment, but there's really nothing that's even on the horizon.

.46caliber
04-12-13, 12:37
The only effective treatment for tinnitus is to remove the underlying cause, if possible. If it's caused by ear wax, respiratory infection, or some medication that you're taking, addressing those issues may help. If it's caused, as it usually is, by damage to the inner ear from age and/or noise exposure, you're pretty much hosed. Like a lot of medical issues that are common and don't have any good treatment, the field is ripe for all kinds of bullshit "treatments", mostly advertised on satellite radio or late-night infomercials. I'm sure drug companies will continue to look for some sort of medical treatment, but there's really nothing that's even on the horizon.

Hope officially dashed. :(

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

montanadave
04-13-13, 23:01

Ditto.

hatidua
04-15-13, 17:24
I never recall hearing protection being worn, by anyone, when I was a child - guns were loud, that's the way it was. After I was about 22, I discovered that shooting was a whole lot more fun with ear plugs. When I was about 42 I learned that plugs + muffs was even better!

Suffice it to say, I have ringing in the ears from damage done decades ago. I wish it weren't the case but I've accepted that I did damage I can't erase :(

Artos
04-15-13, 18:20
Had it for over 20yrs and just gets worse...I killed thousands of doves before I ever wore ear plugs & my own fault.

Wear the solid form molds for clays and the amplified for hunting these days...lost a good dog any almost myself to a rattler a couple years ago with full plugs in. Important to hear down this way and never knew if he rattled or not but was a monster.

09fatbob
05-05-13, 08:46
http://beforeitsnews.com/self-sufficiency/2013/05/tinnitus-remedies-2456786.html