PDA

View Full Version : Is this a normal FSP taper pin drill depth?

1GIG
04-09-13, 21:11
I purchased this BCM BFH upper with a KAC URX III rail and low profile gas block on it from another member here.

I recently had the URX changed to a different BCM upper with a lightweight profile barrel. When I received the upper receiver groups back I was surprised to see how the barrel that had the URX removed from it looked. I have worked on a half dozen or so(hardly an expert) other uppers and have never seen the "dimples" for the FSP taper pins drilled so deep into the barrel. Is this normal? I have not fired the upper since I have received it. I was actually going to post it up for sale but wanted to learn and hear some thoughts on this first.

Eric D.
04-10-13, 00:06
That's normal from what I've seen of other BCM uppers and other brand uppers as well. Its been said that the gov't specification is that the pins aren't to pass into the barrel more than half of their diameter. However, it is my opinion that pins located like the ones in your pictures are not of major concern.

mdain
04-10-13, 00:51
I recently pulled apart an M&P 15 ORC that looked similar. But, my Colt sporter and another unknown rifle were about half pin depth.

AKDoug
04-10-13, 01:12
Here is an excellent thread on the subject https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122925

1GIG
04-10-13, 07:07
Thanks for the info guys. The ones I have worked on before have all been about half pin depth. Thanks again.

markm
04-10-13, 11:17
Half pin is optimal. Those pics above aren't enough to make me ditch the barrel though... assuming it's otherwise functioning well.