PDA

View Full Version : Man who spent 27 years alone in the Maine woods

Maineshooter
04-10-13, 08:20
Interesting story. According to the "hermit," who was arrested for multiple counts of burglary, he hasn't spoken to another human since the mid 1990s. I don't know that I believe his entire story and I certainly don't condone stealing from others, but if this was true he accomplished quite a feat (if he actually stayed hidden that long from other people).

http://www.kjonline.com/news/North-Pond-Hermit-suspect-in-more-than-1000-burglaries-captured.html?pagenum=1

PA PATRIOT
04-10-13, 11:27
Would have loved to have seen his camp site and how he lived day to day. I was surprised that he didn't hunt or fish just stealing everything food wise he needed.

dash1
04-10-13, 17:39
I've come across a camp site where an individual had stayed for months on end. It wasn't pretty, more like a dump than anything, there were empty cans and trash spread out over a 50 X 50 meter area. I spoke to a game warden that told me that guy was a thief too, he got caught because he left a diary that detailed his plans.

TMS951
04-12-13, 09:53
Would have loved to have seen his camp site and how he lived day to day. I was surprised that he didn't hunt or fish just stealing everything food wise he needed.

There are decent pictures in the link

jmoore
04-12-13, 10:33
Wonder if he wore the same pair of glasses for all that time????

john

NeoNeanderthal
04-12-13, 11:04
As a survival instructor who works predominantly in Maine, I find it very hard to believe that this guy lived in that tarptent all winter. The winters up there are brutal and all it takes it to get sick or injured and you wont be able to heat your "shelter" for a few days. There is a reason natives lived in communities.

Maineshooter
04-12-13, 22:21
As a survival instructor who works predominantly in Maine, I find it very hard to believe that this guy lived in that tarptent all winter. The winters up there are brutal and all it takes it to get sick or injured and you wont be able to heat your "shelter" for a few days. There is a reason natives lived in communities.

A regular tent was contained inside a larger tarp tent. A local retired warden was quoted as saying the guy pretty much used propane for some heat and had piles of sleeping bags. Then he became acclimated to the environment. Apparently he barely left his tent in the winter and gained weight in the fall so he wouldn't have to eat so much when the weather really got cold. He claims he has never been sick in 27 years, the reason being that he had no contact with humans, hence no one to catch a disease from.

MrCleanOK
04-13-13, 03:25
Wonder if he wore the same pair of glasses for all that time????

john

Yup, that's in the article. His glasses are the only thing left from when he went into the woods. Also said his vision is pretty poor now, so I would imagine he needs a new prescription.

T2C
04-13-13, 14:18
27 years alone in the woods? Hide all of the liquor and your women!

NeoNeanderthal
04-13-13, 19:00
A regular tent was contained inside a larger tarp tent. A local retired warden was quoted as saying the guy pretty much used propane for some heat and had piles of sleeping bags. Then he became acclimated to the environment. Apparently he barely left his tent in the winter and gained weight in the fall so he wouldn't have to eat so much when the weather really got cold. He claims he has never been sick in 27 years, the reason being that he had no contact with humans, hence no one to catch a disease from.

That would have to be a shitload of propane. And you still can get sick being away from from humans (though he still went into town near humans to steal obviously.) All it takes is a slip, trip, fall or undercooked food and you're shit out of luck. I'm sure he's got quite the story to tell, I'd love to talk to the guy.