PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Question - D&H Finish differences?

M_Rapp
04-10-13, 11:00
Two different Magazine Packs...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/magazines/rifle-magazines/ar-15/psa-d-h-5-56mm-30rd-aluminum-magazine-black-teflon-foliage-green-follower-10-pack.html

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazine-dh-gp30mp-10pack.htm

The only real difference I note is the "battleship grey 2 part catalyzed painted finish" vs. the "black teflon finish".

The PSA D&H Mag pack was an Easter special $119, the BCM D&H Mags are $169.

Is the grey painted finish worth the extra $5 a mag? Not bashing by any means, just trying to understand the difference. Or is there another key difference I am missing.

Thanks.

markm
04-10-13, 11:15
Definitley nogo to pay for some over-bred finish. If it comes on the mag, no biggie... But don't pay a premium for it.

Gun
04-10-13, 13:22
BCMs other D&H mags, with the enhanced followe,r are the same price (though not available). Ten bucks cheaper for the regular follower, which is the same as the PSA offering @ 119.00, when available.

ReaperAZ
04-10-13, 13:36
$5 a mag to me is well worth getting a BCM order within a weeks time when my PSA order took over a month. As for function. They both work perfectly in my rifles.

mikejg
04-10-13, 18:13
FWIW my last 2 PSA magazine orders have been shipped the next day or so and received a few days after that.

M_Rapp
04-10-13, 18:18
Enhanced follower vs. regular follower. (I missed that in my comparison). Maybe the paint, enhanced follower, and BCM's rep are worth the $5... Maybe.... ;)

My bias is toward vendors like G&R and BCM, but if a place like PSA or Botach has an item I want (and don't necessarily need) I'm willing to gamble for a good price. Scored a few deals that way and the ones that have not worked out were simply a cancellation of order with no cost to me other than my time.

My mag pack from PSA arrived within 5 days of ordering. Not bad considering the Alaska factor...

RazorBurn
04-10-13, 20:57
FWIW my last 2 PSA magazine orders have been shipped the next day or so and received a few days after that.

Mine too. With the exception of uppers, everything I've ordered from PSA has shipped within two business days of being ordered. My uppers have shipped within two weeks of being ordered.

I ordered some of the BCM gray painted D&H magazines in late February. I didn't care for the finish at all, and ended up picking up some Palmetto D&H black teflon coated magazines during the Easter sale a couple of weeks ago. I like that finish much better.

Retiredbroke
04-10-13, 22:20
The black teflon coated D&H mags from either PSA or Bravo with magpul followers are great, looks to me like they just put the appropriate base plate on them for the company. The PSA deal for $119 is hard to beat for sure. I have more on the brown truck now.

bossman3
04-10-13, 23:29
Mine too. With the exception of uppers, everything I've ordered from PSA has shipped within two business days of being ordered. My uppers have shipped within two weeks of being ordered.

I ordered some of the BCM gray painted D&H magazines in late February. I didn't care for the finish at all, and ended up picking up some Palmetto D&H black teflon coated magazines during the Easter sale a couple of weeks ago. I like that finish much better.

I ordered about a dozen from PSA back in february and they were shipped two days later and in my hands within the week. PSA gtg

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-11-13, 09:39
I've purchased mags from both vendors with the enhanced follower. Price was the same. The BCM seems more of the color of the traditional mags. You know back in the day when it Colt or Bushmaster and if you bought new they came in black only.

The shipping time on the PSA and BCM products were great. Anything from PSA I order UPS ground usually gets to me in two days. I'm in Northeast Alabama so it's not that far.

samuse
04-11-13, 10:02
I don't like D&H mags in general, they're just not on the same quality level as Okay.

I tried the BCM Battleship gray mags but I didn't like the color at all.

Too shiny for me.

RogerinTPA
04-11-13, 11:56
I have quite a few of the older teflon coated ones with the magpul followers, painted them, and have had no issues with them. They have turned out to be as reliable as my Pmags or NHMTGs. In the past week, there has been 10 pack black teflon D&H mags on sale at a few online vendors. I'd stick with those if you can find them for a good price, then paint them whatever color you want.