PDA

View Full Version : Shooting disturb/scare off wildlife?

rushca01
04-10-13, 12:28
I just purchased 80 acres of land and plan to use it for recreation and hunting. I plan to put in a shooting range but I was curious as to how much shooting you could do without scaring of wildlife etc..One of the reasons for the purchase was to hunt whitetail in the winter..

Is it as simple as taming it down in the months leading up to hunting season? Will it have a major effect on the hunt ability of the land?

jmnielsen
04-10-13, 13:10
If you shoot a lot out there I think it could hurt the hunting. Even in the offseason. I always felt that having a prime place for deer to go unmolested during the offseason helps increase the odds of them being there during hunting season. Obviously they will move around so even if you did shoot a bunch I am sure you would come across a few while hunting, but I don't think you would see as many as you would if you were not shoot too much.

steyrman13
04-10-13, 13:40
At our shooting range which people shoot about 1 time a week all day we will have deer walk out on the range during and after firing sessions and continually see many deer. One of the most productive stands is on the actual range. I know many military ranges have deer walk out during full auto fire. However as stated above the less pressure and interaction the better. Depends on if your wanting trophies or meat though.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-10-13, 15:29
Not at all!

dash1
04-10-13, 17:49
Military range impact areas have some of the best hunting. I've seen deer, turkey, coyote, and other animals just hang out during gunnery. Last year I watched a Tom strut back and forth about 100 meters in front of some targets that were being shot at with machine guns. He never got hit and didn't give up trying to impress the hens, he was there for at least an hour. So I think you'll be good to go.

MJLman
04-10-13, 17:58
One of our local state owned ranges in on a wildlife management area and stays consistently busy (rifle/pistol/skeet) and is particularly busy prior to the start of season with folks sighting in their deer rifles and people kill out there A LOT.

A buddy has appx. 65 acres in rural LA with his own range (basically a berm) and shuts down activity the month prior to the season and he takes several deer every year including the two I have personally taken the past two seasons on his property.

As previously stated, I don't think it matters.
Have good food plots with clean shooting lanes and you aught to be ok.

u_not_i
04-10-13, 19:16
I bowhunted for years and my most productive area was about a quarter mile from a very active shooting club with outdoor ranges. Half the time the deer didn't even look up. Whitetail are much more alarmed by the unusual. Like your scent where it usually isn't, as in the occasional human stroll through a bedding area. That will sometimes make them move. They hate dog smell. Keep your pup out of there. If you must cut a shooting lane, do it well in advance of the season. I tried to avoid cutting anything. They notice any change. Wouldn't you notice if someone took a picture off the wall in your living room? Same way with stands..... weeks before the opening day is best. Hanging them just before a rain helps wash away your scent. Try to approach your stands concealed, if possible. Always, always play the wind. Have fun out there.

FlyingHunter
04-10-13, 20:17
I've been living on a farm for many years and I don't think it bothers them too much. My method with no science behind it, but alot of big bucks on the wall...

Shoot on only one section of the land - not all over - give them a sanctuary.

I slow way down on shooting by late July and August. During deer season, I usually will shoot midday only.

I've had deer walk out into the field I'm shooting in more than I can count. It's just not that big of a deal.

Food plots help. Suppressors help.

Owning land will bring great joy- except during tax assessment time...

IRONFINS
04-10-13, 20:44
No it does not affect the wildlife. I have a buddy who has 55 acres and we shoot often. All the neighbors and friends will shoot there. Most of the time I go and there are at least 3 other people there shooting. A couple of years ago I am zeroing an M1A .308 and after about 20 rounds a doe walks out while I am reloading a mag and stands in my lane 30 yards out and stares at me. I was like WTF? My buddy with me was like "Shoot It". It was NOT deer season so I passed....If you shoot often they get use to it and while they hear it, most of the time they become more tolerant and do not run off.

Heavy Metal
04-10-13, 21:09
Actually, it has the opposite effect.

It immunizes them to the gunfire to the point they ignore it.

By increasing the ratio of loud noises to dead deer from something approaching 3 to 1 to 10,000 to 1, they eventually disassociate it with a threat.

VooDoo6Actual
04-11-13, 09:49
Not at all!

This.

gitsome
04-11-13, 10:25
I treat my property as a deer sanctuary. When the neighbors are shooting, the deer stay on my grounds. We took a 14 pt and a 10 pt on consecutive Thanksgiving mornings.

T2C
04-11-13, 12:33
I believe that would depend on how close you are located to a town and how use to people the game has become. I target shoot on my property weekly and I see deer, squirrels and birds every day.

The deer on my property are brazen. For example, I fired 80 rounds out of my M1 Garand and before I was finished cleaning up my brass the deer were already walking out of the woods by my target stand.

rushca01
04-11-13, 13:24
Thanks for the replies, lot's of good information!

NWPilgrim
04-11-13, 13:28
I was at the rifle range last week and there were several of us on the 100 yd line firing away. Suddenly a cease fire was called as there were three deer sauntering across the field of fire.

Yet, on opening day the deer in wild areas are GONE. I don't think it is the noise that bothers them, but being pursued.

Spiffums
04-12-13, 07:14
Deer know where Man should and should not be. When Man is where he shouldn't be they are harder to find.

SteveS
04-12-13, 16:41
Animals can get used to the noise if they are subject to it enough.

underwoodbitsandspurs
04-12-13, 17:23
Here we have to chase the deer off the range because they stand right in front of the targets. They will walk right in front of you while you're shooting too.

longball
04-15-13, 15:46
Your best bet is to set up your range on one side of the property and let them establish their "sanctuary" (which needs cover, water, and food) on the opposite side of the property. Give them that area and do not enter it other than to plant food sources. Don't even go there to hunt them. We have used this method (which is promoted by the QDMA and Whitetail Properties) on the area where I hunt and have been successful. 80 acres is more than enough for them to disregard your active range when in their "sanctuary".

Scoby
04-21-13, 08:05
It has never bothered our wildlife. We normally shoot alot too.

Campbell
04-21-13, 16:07
We have deer, turkey, rabbits, and squirrels on the range at anytime...