PDA

View Full Version : Rolling the dice?

carbinero
03-23-08, 17:09
Is this still how the majority here feel about CMMG?

I am considering getting an ADS, once their middy gets to Grant and meets approval, but there's that pull of CMMG's various profiles, and Sabre still costs over a $100 more.

Thanks.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-23-08, 18:43
I don't see them as a gamble. I've only heard satisfied firsthand reports. The only negatives are hearsay.

I don't think they are worth it for your average, vanilla 16" M4 Profile A2 FH 6920 clone, but if you want any kind of freefloat rail out of the box on a 14.5 + Perm FH setup, I can't imagine buying from anyone else.

Still, some here are skeptical of their unnamed manufacturing source and continue to shout like Charlton Heston, "CMMG... is.... DPMS!!!!"

Remember911
03-23-08, 19:35
Rolling the dices is what it sounds like what you are willing to do. And that said go with CMMG :confused: ,and yes I have first hand experience I say go with any comp. that you feel you can trust there are alot out there. Don't be so narrow minded look around, and find one that first has them in stock. check out Grant, Armalite,YHM, OLY, and ADS never but a price on quality.

carbinero
03-23-08, 19:50
Well, I did shop around quite a bit, and I did roll the dice, but after repeated responses from CMMG that the uppers will be just a few more weeks (3+ months later), my vendor is pulling his order. I'm thinking if I should deal directly with CMMG and wait "just a little longer," or move on with ADS or Sabre. I was looking forward to the LW barrel, but in retrospect perhaps it shouldn't have been such a priority.

Remember911
03-24-08, 06:57
Ya I would do some looking around it is going to be hard to find a barrel like that one, but there are alot of other ops. out there.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-24-08, 07:50
I'd go with CMMG, especially if you are looking for a lightweight barrel. Is there really any other option?

markm
03-24-08, 08:29
Sabre still costs over a $100 more.

How long do you plan to keep this weapon?

Amortize the extra $100 over that time period, and factor in the peace of mind you'll have by not buying something that you aren't sure will go the distance.

C4IGrant
03-24-08, 08:41
My personal choice for middy barrels goes like this:

Noveske N4 (due out in April)
BCM (due out this Summer)
Sabre Defense
Daniel Defense (Due out soon)
ADS (due out in 1-2 weeks we hope)
CMMG

C4

carbinero
03-24-08, 09:43
Thanks all. I have no problem spending an extra $100.

It's just that this CMMG C.S.-supply glich has given me time to re-evaluate (AKA buyer's remorse).

I can't justify Noveske or DD $$, and I'd need to have more assurance about BCM's availability. Grant, will you carry them?

C4IGrant
03-24-08, 10:14
Thanks all. I have no problem spending an extra $100.

It's just that this CMMG C.S.-supply glich has given me time to re-evaluate (AKA buyer's remorse).

I can't justify Noveske or DD $$, and I'd need to have more assurance about BCM's availability. Grant, will you carry them?

I think you would be surprised to find that you can build a Noveske and most certainly a DD for around the same money as a CMMG.

We are a BCM distr., but there is no firm ETA on them. My best guess is Summer.

C4

carbinero
03-24-08, 10:30
My quoted price on the complete barrelled upper CMMG is $469 (MSRP $525).

I'm looking at a SDI for $600.

If I can get a Noveske close to that, please let me know how!

C4IGrant
03-24-08, 10:36
My quoted price on the complete barrelled upper CMMG is $469 (MSRP $525).

I'm looking at a SDI for $600.

If I can get a Noveske close to that, please let me know how!

Does the CMMG come with BCG, HG's and charging handle?

You should be able to get into a Noveske for around $600 range.

C4

carbinero
03-24-08, 11:03
Yes, the CMMG is complete. If my vendor bales, I thought about going directly to CMMG to honor that price.

On the other hand, this would be a rare opportunity to use what I've learned over the last 3 months to make a more informed purchase.

I assume that for $600, the Noveske will not have BCG, CH, or HGs...at which point I have to think about applying the difference (from SDI) toward an Aimpoint.

More info welcome!

C4IGrant
03-24-08, 11:07
Yes, the CMMG is complete. If my vendor bales, I thought about going directly to CMMG to honor that price.

On the other hand, this would be a rare opportunity to use what I've learned over the last 3 months to make a more informed purchase.

I assume that for $600, the Noveske will not have BCG, CH, or HGs...at which point I have to think about applying the difference (from SDI) toward an Aimpoint.

More info welcome!

The reason I asked about the CMMG as that is a pretty low price.

The Noveske would come with everything needed.

C4

carbinero
03-24-08, 11:27
That is interesting news indeed, and it seems a Noveske for $600 is also a pretty low price :p

email sent.

Shihan
03-24-08, 11:46
How long do you plan to keep this weapon?

Amortize the extra $100 over that time period, and factor in the peace of mind you'll have by not buying something that you aren't sure will go the distance.

Well said advice!

Remember911
03-24-08, 17:44
I have been looking around and you might ask CMMG about time it takes to get their barrels. Some are not saying anything good about them,and the time it takes. LOOOOK around.

variablebinary
03-24-08, 17:54
The only real downer to CMMG is their stock on barrels, which is usually low sadly...

They do good volume though

skyugo
03-24-08, 22:40
i have a CMMG lightweight middy upper. I'm completely satisfied with it. fair price, great quality, delivered in a timely fashion. I've got about 1300 rounds through it so far. no stoppages related to the upper. had a few little mag catch related issues with my lower (cav arms) but i have that all figured out now.

would you trust a CMMG that you've put a thousand rounds through or an LMT with 10 rounds through it more?
you save a few bucks that you can spend at the range.