PDA

View Full Version : What type of rails are good if your on a budget.

rdvance
03-23-08, 19:03
Ok im a budget and need to know what type of rails are good for under a 150 or so. I really would like DD or others but i just cant pull that right now. I need them to be good and solid. Are the MI pretty good? or any other brands you can suggest. Also im not really looking for Free Float, b/c id rather have the option of going back and forth between the M4's

sonrider657
03-23-08, 19:13
Try Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) or SureFire.

MCASSgt New River
03-23-08, 19:16
Ok im a budget and need to know what type of rails are good for under a 150 or so. I really would like DD or others but i just cant pull that right now. I need them to be good and solid. Are the MI pretty good? or any other brands you can suggest. Also im not really looking for Free Float, b/c id rather have the option of going back and forth between the M4's

OK, now I have to clear my name and openly say that I SOLD my KAC's because I felt that for standard non-combat type duty they were over priced. Now I'm sure that I will receive a TON of flack for my next comment but I'll be dead honest in my opinion. I'm running UTG hand guards, you can find they for between $50-100 depending were you look. I personally wouldn't pay more then $75 to include shipping. There machined aluminum, anodized black, lighter then the KAC and have snap on rail covers not the slid on ones too.....what more do you want?

.....let the bashing commence.:eek:

watertower
03-23-08, 19:24
I picked up a set of carbine Midwest Industries nonFF rails for under $100. They've been solid enough, and the rails appear to be in spec. Easy on and off just like the typical M4 handguards.

Sam
03-23-08, 19:55
I have an old Surefire rail I bought on ebay many years ago for $160 that is pretty versatile. I've had many uppers and many complete rifles and the Surefire had been on all of them. If you look hard enough, you can probably find a set for less.

variablebinary
03-23-08, 20:10

Easy Choice

http://global-tactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=579

http://global-tactical.com/ProductImages/MRF%20DI%20RAIL.gif

Cold Zero
03-23-08, 20:12
Surefire, or Troy MRF.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-23-08, 20:19
LaRue.

Couldn't resist.:D

In all seriousness, if free flaoting isn't an issue, go with MI-17, or a KAC RAS off E-gay. They were a bit heavy though, so you might look at the Troy MRF.

MassMark
03-23-08, 20:43
Another vote for Troy MRF...

Shihan
03-23-08, 20:48
I believe the best budget priced railed foreend on the market is the MI's.

Seth Harness
03-23-08, 20:54
Another vote for Troy MRF...

+1 I have a 7" troy and soon am buying a 10 or 12"

DamnYank!
03-23-08, 23:48
i picked up a barely used set of KAC's for my M4 upper, including a nice array of panels and a VFG for about 200.

i had a Troy on my last midlength and it was nice, i wouldn't hesitate to buy their other rails...

i checked out a MI rail, but it was wider than my Troy was or KAC is, it made the handguards too big around for my tastes; just something to consider.

pearson
03-23-08, 23:54
kac rails go for 150 on ebay and surefire rails go for 125 ish on ar15.com

hossb7
03-24-08, 13:22
+1 for the Troy Industries MRF-DI. i have a pair on my AR15 and they're great. lock up real tight and only add ~2 ounces of weight more than double heatshielded handguards.

Shihan
03-24-08, 13:52
kac rails go for 150 on ebay and surefire rails go for 125 ish on ar15.com

Alot of the Ebay KAC's are Chinese knockoffs.

M76F
03-24-08, 14:46
I got a set of the Samson drop-in rails for $170. I thought it was a decent price for a decent piece of gear.

I would have bought the Troy version but it doesn't have KAC panel cuts.

Wayne Dobbs
03-24-08, 14:52
I was just about to post a thread about the Troy MRF-DI when I saw this one. I wonder if anybody can tell me any downsides of the Troy rail, especially from a perspective of really running the gun hard? I would prefer an LT 7.0 but I am in the process of acquiring an upper with a 14.5" bbl that has a permanantly attached FH and unless I'm wrong, attaching a free float LT would be a huge mess to accomplish.

I'm open to any viable ideas on this...

variablebinary
03-24-08, 14:58
I was just about to post a thread about the Troy MRF-DI when I saw this one. I wonder if anybody can tell me any downsides of the Troy rail, especially from a perspective of really running the gun hard? I would prefer an LT 7.0 but I am in the process of acquiring an upper with a 14.5" bbl that has a permanantly attached FH and unless I'm wrong, attaching a free float LT would be a huge mess to accomplish.

Downside...it isnt a free-float...That's it

If you want a free float (Do you need one), then DD Omega might be a better route if you want to keep the hassle factor low

rayray
03-24-08, 15:16
I picked up a set of carbine Midwest Industries nonFF rails for under $100. They've been solid enough, and the rails appear to be in spec. Easy on and off just like the typical M4 handguards.

I also own Midwest Industries, carbine rails. They are solid and cost me 129.95.

markm
03-24-08, 15:20

You could get a two piece FF rail, and cut off the delta ring. Or do the DD omega.

I have a MI 2 piece FF. It's somewhat wide compared to a regular KAC RAS, but it's only around $160.

JLM
03-24-08, 19:39
MI! The machine work is really quite nice, and the rails are in spec.

hellbound
03-25-08, 11:28
i've purchased several KAC M4/M5 RAS and they were either NIB or mildly used, with VFG and all panels for around $200 shipped.

Quib
03-25-08, 17:20
I can’t complain about the MI FF rails, used them for my SAM-R inspired build......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/SC.jpg

.............and used the MI standard rails on my M4gery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/M4gery.jpg

rmecapn
03-25-08, 19:15
Consider used rails. I just picked up a set of Troy MRF-CX for $160 shipped and they are in excellent shape. I'll even sell you my SF M73 with rail covers and a KAC clone VFG for $100 shipped. (The M73, covers, and VFG have all been painted camo, however.)

hitman488
03-28-08, 12:28
Last night I installed a set of rails for a friend of mine, He purchased them from Cheaper than dirt, I think they are made by UTG. they were real easy to install and the fit is really good and tight, they even come with a set of rail covers. I believe he paid somewhere around $50.00 for them, good price for the budget minded folks.;)

RojasTKD
03-28-08, 15:10
I just ordered a MI FF carbine rail. Money is currently a bit tight so I went with MI. I wanted a free float rail and just could not pony up for a DD Omega, at least not yet.I'll give my opinion when they arrive in a few days. I hope I didn't make a bad choice.

I have to agree with the other poster who said UTG is a good inexpensive rail for those on a tight budget. Oneday I'll put togeather a beater AR an throw on a pair of cheap UTG rails.

jasonhgross
03-28-08, 15:25
If you arent going to mount a VHG then rails are largely an unecessary expense.

variablebinary
03-28-08, 17:55
If you arent going to mount a VHG then rails are largely an unecessary expense.

Nah

What about lights, lasers, optics, heat management, bipods etc etc

jarhead1987
03-28-08, 20:34
I have Surefire's M73 on my M4. I like the way it fits on the rifle and in my hand. After several hundred rounds, I have not had to retighten it.

EZRider
04-02-09, 06:41
Save your money and get the DD rail. Im lookling for these rail covers ! Does anybody know the Manufacturer

grimm
04-02-09, 09:00
Save your money and get the DD rail. Im lookling for these rail covers ! Does anybody know the Manufacturer

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-XTM-Rail-Covers-Black-p/mag410%20black%20xtm.htm

The user combined different colors.

Mr.Goodtimes
04-02-09, 17:10
if your on a budged the Troy rails are the way to go. i had some one my rifle that i just took off for a Larue Tactical 7.0. The troys were excellent, locked up tight and were in spec. I only took em off cause i wanted to free float the the barrel.

Saginaw79
04-02-09, 17:13
I use Midwest industries and love them, A friend has a YHM and its GTG also!

XDkid
04-02-09, 20:18
Ill put in another vote for the DD Omega. Theyre free float and take about 10 minutes to install with no tools (except an allen wrench). For $230 or so brand new you cant beat them.

I also have the DD Lite on another rifle and if price is not an issue (and you can remove your FSB etc. to install) these are hands down my favorite railed handguard, regardless of price.

Ridge_Runner_5
04-03-09, 15:22

That is what I run...

RD62
04-03-09, 16:33
I second, or third, or fourth, or whatever the MI rails. Nice quality and reasonable price.

No experience with the Troy, but I'm sure they are nice too.

-RD62

FVC3
04-03-09, 17:31
OK, now I have to clear my name and openly say that I SOLD my KAC's because I felt that for standard non-combat type duty they were over priced. Now I'm sure that I will receive a TON of flack for my next comment but I'll be dead honest in my opinion. I'm running UTG hand guards, you can find they for between $50-100 depending were you look. I personally wouldn't pay more then $75 to include shipping. There machined aluminum, anodized black, lighter then the KAC and have snap on rail covers not the slid on ones too.....what more do you want?

.....let the bashing commence.:eek:

You lost me at " Saiga S12 for Homeland Defense".:D

mskdgunman
04-03-09, 20:41
I understand what the original poster means by being on a budget. $200 - $300 is a bunch of money to some folks (me included)If it's not life or death, I'll spend $50 on a UTG rail system and spend the rest on ammo or optics. If the system works for it's intended purpose and fits the budget, it must be right. Without knowing the original poster I have to assume he'd not buying it for a trip to the sandbox where he (and others) may be in bad shape if his gear breaks, in which case I agree to spend more money and get the best out there. Otherwise, get the best you can afford and upgrade later if you have to. I personally have a UTG rail on one my AK's and was pretty impressed with the fit and finish. It was easy to install, looks decent and holds what I need it to hold. Is it as nice as my KAC set? Not really but it serves the purpose I bought it for and I understand that it's not top of the line. I've contemplated getting a second one for my beater CAR. If it breaks, I'll upgrade but until them, I'll spend the money on other stuff.

Is some of UTG's stuff crap? Yep it is, but I don't discount all of their stuff becasue of some poor quality items, I just choose carefully. I see they (UTG) make a weapon mountable light now and would like to hear from someone who has one to see how it compares to some of the others out there

87GN
04-04-09, 00:48
What, exactly, do you need a railed handguard for?

snellkid
04-04-09, 05:23
I'm also running a set of UTG rails on an M4, They do what I want them to do, Hold a Tapco Front Grip & a Larue Offset Light Mount. Paid $40 (Used) for the UTG Rails. I don't Jump out of Airplanes or even run very far anymore. If I bust them, then maybe I'll upgrade. If I rip the Hand Grip off, I'll just rotate them 180 degress and drive on.

rob_s
04-04-09, 06:34
What type of rails are good if your on a budget.

IMHO, none.

I don't know what stage your carbine is at, but I would ABSOLUTELY funnel that $150 into something else well before I'd buy a rail system, and frankly I'd seriously evaluate what I was hoping to get out of the rail system in the first place.

I'd prioritize a quality light (there are other ways to mount it besides the rail system, some that cost no more than $20) and an Aimpoint long before I'd go looking at rail systems, whether $150 or $350.

Vic303
04-04-09, 08:45
You could get the Magpul MOE handguards for about $30, a piece of stub rail or two for $7 each and mount a couple accessories that way. Then you'll end up with a truly comfortable handguard set and still have some rail space to tinker with.

Then you can haunt the auctions of your choice and find REAL Aimpoints (older models for sure but still real, not clonepoints) and ifyou are diligent, you can grab former-top-o-the-line Aimpoints for pennies compared to the current issue. I've gotten 3 real Aimpoints for a grand total of $160 including shipping, they all work and they are all authentic. (nobody clones the old models!)

RE4
04-04-09, 20:40
Can anyone tell me the weight of the Troy MRF 7" I cant seem to find that information anywhere. I'm trying to look for the lightest rail, so far all I can find is Omegas DD at 8 ounces...

I wonder if its lighter than the troy rail system that come on SW MP15x series? I have one and am not impressed....

RojasTKD
04-04-09, 22:25
You could get a two piece FF rail, and cut off the delta ring. Or do the DD omega.

I have a MI 2 piece FF. It's somewhat wide compared to a regular KAC RAS, but it's only around $160.

Same here... Love mine.

MI make good reasonably priced stuff. For just a little more than the Troy and you get FF rails, for a few bucks more why not.

hossb7
04-05-09, 00:37
my troy MRF-DI rails were $157 shipped and i would not hesitate to get them again

rob_s
04-05-09, 06:02
Can anyone tell me the weight of the Troy MRF 7" I cant seem to find that information anywhere. I'm trying to look for the lightest rail, so far all I can find is Omegas DD at 8 ounces...

I wonder if its lighter than the troy rail system that come on SW MP15x series? I have one and am not impressed....

For whatever reason Troy has been a huge pain in the ass when I've asked them for the weight. heres some other info you may find helpful though (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ).