PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Cases with Pressure Signs

Onyx Z
04-10-13, 21:18
I have some 223 and 300BLK cases I was using during load testing and it appears some show pressure signs like ejector swipes and slightly flattened primers. They must have been loaded to the point they were just slightly over pressure, so only some have these pressure signs, but not all.

Is it safe to reload these? Obviously, they will be loaded with less powder..

Ttwwaack
04-10-13, 23:56
It all depends...

As a general rule I reload 3-4 times, 3 x for factory loaded b. rass and 4-5 factory new brass purchased by me. I general put reloads that have loose primer pockets (as determined by seating) in a seperate bag to be culled during use. When policing, any signs of leakage - cull. Trimming .030. Semi autos are hard on brass. On factory new brass I could probably get another load or two but mags are 12-30, Winchester 223 brass is 23 a hundred. That's if it only destroys the mag.

Hot loads in brass are culled with a Redding shell holder (during sizing) which seams to be tight. If it don't slide in or out easily or doesn't stand straight (ejector flow) thry hit the recycle bin. Brass is cheap, mags, lowers, E room visits start to get expensive. Spend 24 hrs deaf due to concussion or blind from flash burn burn and you will see the cost of bullets or primers for the life of a piece brass is small, real (shittin your pants) small.

ETA: To get a virgin case to flow into the ejector hole on a bolt face you are generally looking @ 70K psi. Base expansion of .005 is considered 60K. These pressures raise as the case is reloaded each time from work hardening.

markm
04-11-13, 08:17
The primer pocket will tell me all I need to know. If it's loose, I load it one last time and mark it for the scrap bucket.

If the Swipe is so bad it fights me in the shell holder... Same thing.

If the swipe or rim is a fist fight to get into any of the shell holders, I scrap it.

Onyx Z
04-11-13, 10:49
They're not bad at all, they still fit just fine in the shell holder. I guess what I'm asking is, do slight pressure signs ruin the integrity of the brass (other than the natural expanding on the case when fired). From what I'm getting, they'll be fine for another few loads.

markm
04-11-13, 10:58
If they hold a primer good, then they're fine. Swipes will actually serve to further work harden the case head.