PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 range report

evilmonkey
03-23-08, 19:05
I went to the range today with My 3 week old glock 17 at in indoor range and so far I have 1017 rds through it with almost no malfunctions. I shot 250 rounds through it the first week I had it and it shot like a dream and the same thing the second weekend, 250 no problems. Today I decided to buy 5 of the winchester 100rd value packs. I wanted to warm up the right way on my First mag so I put one of the G18 33rd mags and about 17 or 18 rds through it had a stove pipe jam. Im not going to lie it pissed me off!! I dont know if it was the G18 mag which is only a week old or the ammo! I completely dissassemble my guns after I shoot so I know it wasnt because it was dirty. The only problem I have had with the winchester practice ammo was in my beretta 92 had one round that failed to fire( The round had a deep dimple i it so it was the primer). So what do you think caused the stove pipe on the first mag, I'm guessing it was a under pressured round. The rest of the 500 functioned perfectly. I have also heard the 33 rd mags aren't that good. I know all guns malfunction but it shouldn't have on the first mag with a clean pistol!

WillC
03-23-08, 19:18
Limp wrist?

evilmonkey
03-23-08, 19:51
I doubt it. It was my first mag and I was shooting with my hands tight the whole time on that mag. I could understand at about the 300 rd mark since my hand and wrist were getting a bit tired.

M4arc
03-23-08, 19:53
How did your G17 run with the standard 17 round magazines? I'm betting that it was the 33 round magazine.

evilmonkey
03-23-08, 20:35
It ran perfect with the 17rd mags! When I bought the G17 I went ahead and bought ten of the 17 rd mags and two of the 33 rd mags(I usally do that with all my pistols and carbines) and I bought the 33 rd mags just because of the cool factor. I had heard the 33rounders were not as reliable and I guess it is true. Anyone else had this experience?

ToddG
03-23-08, 20:49
Is it a Glock OEM 33rd mag or an aftermarket? If the former, I wouldn't immediately blame the magazine unless it happens repeatedly with that mag and no others.

Were you rapid-firing through the mag or shooting at a slower pace? You might not think you were limp-wristing, but plenty of people let their grips loosen as they fire. Going through 33 rounds at once is going to work you out more than a 17rd mag.

WWB is also notoriously inconsistent. Some lots are hot, most are normal, but it's not at all uncommon to find unpowered rounds in a box of WWB.

evilmonkey
03-23-08, 21:03
It was a OEM 33 rounder that was still in the Box so I know it was brand new. I wouldnt be suprised if it was the ammo either! Every company that mass produces anything will eventually put out a lemon especially ammo companies. The thing about limp wristing is I'm not sure I even believe in it ( This should bring some interesting remarks) it just seems that people blame that on every mysterios malfunction. Other then the stove pipe the gun has ran flawless so I seriously doubt its the gun.

ToddG
03-23-08, 21:08
The thing about limp wristing is I'm not sure I even believe in it

Believe it. (http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Video/?action=view&current=limp_wrist_3.flv)

evilmonkey
03-23-08, 21:39
Im a big enough man to say I stand corrected!! One thing I noticed was that none of the malfunctions were stovepipes like I had. Thanks for the video I am now a believer in limp wristing.

M4arc
03-24-08, 08:52
I'd be willing to bet money its the 33 round magazine. I have not found them to be very reliable. I haven't had any problems with the 31 round magazine but for some reason the +2 extension seems to make them hit or miss. Probably because the spring lenth is the same between the two and there isn't enough tension to properly feed the next round.

Run some more WWB through your 17 round mags, report back the results and we'll go from there.

ArmaGlock
03-24-08, 09:53
Double. oops.

ArmaGlock
03-24-08, 09:56
If that ammo ran fine through your 17 round mags, then it's the 33 rounder. I've shot a ton of that WWB through my 19 with only a few stove pipes, probably me limp wristing. Runs fine normally. I had two stove pipes with some Blazer the other day which was weird, hasn't happened in a while, but I did just start shooting Blazer. In your case I would almost guarantee it has something to do with that 33 round mag if it's only doing it when you use it and not the 17 round mags.

evilmonkey
03-24-08, 11:36
Ya Im not a big fan of the +2 extensions on any mag. If it wouldnt have been on the first mag of the day I would have thought limp wrist or the gun was the problem. I'm going to switch out my +2's for regular floor plates, but Im still going to leave those mags as range only. Ill probably try to get out to the range in a little while and use my 17 rounders only. My new sights are coming in anyways so I can test those out to:D

evilmonkey
03-24-08, 15:22
Just got back from the indoor range down the road from my house. I went to Academy and picked up one of the UMC 250 rd packs and a box of the 50 winchester target rounds. With my 17rd mags I shot the gun rapid fire, slow fire, 5 mag ammo dump, and even limp wristed and the 17 ran perfect. I had the G17 smoking after the 5 mag dump but it still kept going! When I was limp wristing the pistol almost flew out of my hands a few times but it kept going. I think im going to keep my G18 mags just for range use and not for my truck. I like having 33 rds at my disposal but I like a gun that goes bang everytime even better!;)

TY44934
03-24-08, 15:31
I agree with Todd on the ammo.

Put yourself in Winchester's shoes: In making that ammo, Winchester has to take into account that there are handguns chambered in 9mm Luger that are now over 100 years old, and its a certainty that some numb-nut out there WILL put that ammo in an antique gun. If an antique gun ever pops (nothing lasts forever) guess who gets sued? So called 9mm "standard velocity" ammo is WEAK for good reason.

Now put yourself in Glock's shoes: In making the Glock 17, they have to assume some numb-nut is going to shoot only +p+ ammo through it (as they do in most police training accademies) and expect 100% reliability and safety - just like the guy shooting WWB - even though those 2 types of ammo are night & day in 9mm (what would you expect from a 100-year old caliber?).

Q: what recoil spring will be 100% reliable with ALL types of 9mm ammo out there all the time? A: none.

As for +p+, the G17 can take it. I've chronoed NATO Hirtenberger L7A1's 124 grn bullets at 1350 FPS from a 17 (that is approaching .357 Sig territory) though I've only fired a few of those rounds. A friend also fired some - to the tune of 1200 rounds of L7 - through his 17 and its still going.