PDA

View Full Version : Vltor A5 + .22LR Upper?

Badger89
04-11-13, 02:32
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I searched here and elsewhere but came up empty. Can you use a VLTOR A5 buffer system in conjunction with a .22LR upper receiver and expect it to cycle reliably and correctly? I ask because I'm working on putting together a lower right now and am really leaning toward a VLTOR A5 kit and a Magpul STR for the stock, but I will be using this lower with a .556 mid-length upper and a .22LR upper, so I need the buffer system to work with both. I also plan on running both calibers with and without a suppressor, if that matters at all. I know the A5 will work great with the .556 upper, but I want to make sure I won't run into cycling problems with the .22LR, or be limited to only super hot ammo to get it to cycle. Thanks!

P.S. If this is a dumb question, please go easy on me... I don't have any experience with .22LR ARs.

Koshinn
04-11-13, 03:03
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I searched here and elsewhere but came up empty. Can you use a VLTOR A5 buffer system in conjunction with a .22LR upper receiver and expect it to cycle reliably and correctly? I ask because I'm working on putting together a lower right now and am really leaning toward a VLTOR A5 kit and a Magpul STR for the stock, but I will be using this lower with a .556 mid-length upper and a .22LR upper, so I need the buffer system to work with both. I also plan on running both calibers with and without a suppressor, if that matters at all. I know the A5 will work great with the .556 upper, but I want to make sure I won't run into cycling problems with the .22LR, or be limited to only super hot ammo to get it to cycle. Thanks!

P.S. If this is a dumb question, please go easy on me... I don't have any experience with .22LR ARs.

.22 uppers don't use the receiver extension at all. You can probably have an empty tube and it'll still work.

mig1nc
04-11-13, 06:07
What he said.

Actually, Taccom makes a plug that you can put into your reciever extension for use with .22 uppers and conversion kits.

Clint
04-11-13, 07:00
Yes,
The A5 does work with everything !

Todd.K
04-11-13, 09:54
The 22 conversion has it's own spring and operates completely within the upper. The buffer you use has no effect on the function of the 22 upper.

Koshinn
04-11-13, 10:34
Yes,

Not with a 14.5 mid and .223 ammo :( At least, not with the standard a5h2 buffer.
Guaranteed no lock back on last round and occasional (20% of the time) FTE.

Badger89
04-11-13, 11:47
Thank you for setting me straight. And special thanks for not grilling me on my lack of knowledge. :o

jaxman7
04-11-13, 12:24
Yes,

And whitens your teeth!

And tastes great on a cracker! :D

-Jax

FireandFlames
04-11-13, 14:35
Yes,

Not true at all, had a 16in middy that would FTE every time with a a5 system, even after replacing a tungsten weight with a steel one. It's just too much buffer for midlengths and .223 ammo.