PDA

View Full Version : ND with a .357 LCR *Warning Graphic Pic*

wedgehead30
04-11-13, 07:57
A gun owner on another forum posted his ND experience and the aftermath. A good reminder to practice proper handling skills. The picture in the first post is quite graphic.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/388340-My-1st-ND-Very-nasty-picture-not-for-weak-stomach

newyork
04-11-13, 08:03
Wow!!!

munch520
04-11-13, 08:14
Good Lord... :(

A reminder to be VERY careful. Stay safe guys!

montanadave
04-11-13, 08:17
Ouch!

sadmin
04-11-13, 08:36
the critical defense hollowpoint didnt help either...wow!
safety first is right, good reminder.

glockshooter
04-11-13, 08:39
Why is it every time someone shoots themselves they say it just went off? With a revolver is physically impossible for it to just go off. Mistakes happen but if you are going to bring attention to your mistake don't start off but making an excuse.

Scoby
04-11-13, 08:46
Got a feeling he'll be reminded of that mistake the rest of his life. Bad place to take a hit and keep the complete use of your hand.

djmorris
04-11-13, 08:47
Hahaha

jmoore
04-11-13, 08:48
Shooter just finished firing a string and was going to clean the revolver. Round 5 didn't fire (and wasn't noticed?!?!?!), and as he went to open the cylinder he violated Rule 2. Hangfire?????

I know, I too am skeptical of "it just went off" stories. The above - including the violation of Cooper's Rules - is one way I can imagine it happening.

john

sadmin
04-11-13, 08:52
Got a feeling he'll be reminded of that mistake the rest of his life. Bad place to take a hit and keep the complete use of your hand.

no joke, i have a boxers fracture from when I punched a dude in the back of the head over a decade ago and it still gets sore when its cold out. cant imagine the lasting effects of this. on the bright side, I bed his SHO draw times go through the roof.

Alex V
04-11-13, 08:59
OUCH!

Im not sure I buy this "just went off" part, but that is a great reminder of what can happen...

montanadave
04-11-13, 08:59
Shooter just finished firing a string and was going to clean the revolver. Round 5 didn't fire (and wasn't noticed?!?!?!), and as he went to open the cylinder he violated Rule 2. Hangfire?????

I know, I too am skeptical of "it just went off" stories. The above - including the violation of Cooper's Rules - is one way I can imagine it happening.

john

If he just finished firing a string, he should've gone to the range as opposed to his living room. :)

If you read through the thread, the guy acknowledges he ****ed up but simply cannot recall ever consciously having his finger anywhere near the trigger. Not particularly surprising in these situations. Likely nothing more than a habitual unconscious act, the memory of which is blurred or blocked by the shock of the subsequent events.

Again, follow the four rules ... all the time. Even if you slip on one, the other three may protect you from anything more than embarrassment. Slip on two and ... well, here's one possible result.

Crow Hunter
04-11-13, 09:24

john

That doesn't sound right.

If the 5th round didn't fire, it would have to go all the way back around again before being under the firing pin.

Maybe he fired 4 and thought he fired 5 and "dry fired" at home for some reason.

Unless the fifth round was a really long hang fire.

Is it possible to have some other weird primer malfunction such that the floating firing pin got wedged into a dud primer and when he went to open the cylinder the lateral force on the primer caused it to detonate?

I am leaning to door number 1.

fixit69
04-11-13, 09:31
That looks like it hurts like a sumbitch. Hope it heals well.

rojocorsa
04-11-13, 09:31
Why is it every time someone shoots themselves they say it just went off? With a revolver is physically impossible for it to just go off. Mistakes happen but if you are going to bring attention to your mistake don't start off but making an excuse.

I am trying to figure out exactly WTF he did.

Gah, it's terrible.

jmoore
04-11-13, 09:51
If he just finished firing a string, he should've gone to the range as opposed to his living room. :)

That's what I get for speed reading posts between classes:) - jm

Smash
04-11-13, 09:57
Yeah, I only read page one but with everything that's been said, how did his hand get perfectly in front of the muzzle?

Edit, he said he clears the weapon by "cupping the muzzle with his left hand to catch the rounds as the come out"

I read deeper in the thread and his "It just went off, I didn't have my finger near the trigger" turns into "yeah, I probably just f*cked up" paraphrasing but that's the summary.

montanadave
04-11-13, 10:07
Yeah, I only read page one but with everything that's been said, how did his hand get perfectly in front of the muzzle?

He acknowledges that he has big meathooks and "cupped" the LCR is his hand as he went to release the cylinder and unload the weapon. And that he quite obviously violated the "don't point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy" rule.

Smash
04-11-13, 10:12
He acknowledges that he has big meathooks and "cupped" the LCR is his hand as he went to release the cylinder and unload the weapon. And that he quite obviously violated the "don't point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy" rule.

Yeah sorry read deeper and found that.

He states: "my hands are big and the LCR is small and I cup the whole pistol to catch the rounds as they fall out."

I haven't shot an LCR but do the rounds fall forward in some weird manner? I still don't understand palming the muzzle. My 340PD never required anything forward of the cylinder for catching casings.

VooDoo6Actual
04-11-13, 10:13
Sad & tragic as that won't buff right out.

NEVER let your muzzle point/cover something your not willing to destroy.

chadbag
04-11-13, 11:28
Yeah sorry read deeper and found that.

He states: "my hands are big and the LCR is small and I cup the whole pistol to catch the rounds as they fall out."

I haven't shot an LCR but do the rounds fall forward in some weird manner? I still don't understand palming the muzzle. My 340PD never required anything forward of the cylinder for catching casings.

I was considering an LCR. I hope he posts what a forensic exam of the gun shows.

I don't shoot a lot of revolvers, but when I do, I can see how the the (thumb) cylinder release could position your hands so your booger finger inadvertently goes into the trigger guard and depending on if it is a push vs a pull of the cylinder release, a push could result in a booger finger pull sympathetically.

---

TAZ
04-11-13, 13:35
I've only ran a SW snub by for a short time, but I am trying to wrap my head around the idea of cupping the muzzle of a revolver when opening then cylinder. I can understand how a booger picker can end up in the trigger guard. I can understand how one could accidentally squeeze with the finger. How one can cup a muzzle baffles me. Even with King Kong hands you would have to purposefully do so.

It's sad for the guy in question and I'm glad he didn't kill himself or anyone around him, but it sounds like years of bad habits caught up with him.

Guess it goes to show how we should ALWAYS be vigilant of the 4 rules and ALWAYS be critical of your own procedures.

uwe1
04-11-13, 14:12
He lost his middle finger due to his mistake.

Mjolnir
04-11-13, 14:13
Hahaha

I fail to see humor in another person's misfortune....

Smash
04-11-13, 14:21
I agree it isn't funny. However, what I don't like in his post that is supposed to help others not commit the same mistake is his blaming the gun ammo and anything else he can besides himself. He takes blame for having his hand in front of the muzzle but says it just went off and slowly backs off of this claim(possibly when he is typing while medicated).

I honestly don't believe it was anything other than him pulling the trigger. Too many holes in the story of what he claimed happened. If you want you story to be a Internet teaching lesson then don't make excuses. Democrats all blame guns. Don't be one of them.

JBecker 72
04-11-13, 14:32
Yeah that looks like it sucked. Hard lesson on firearms safety.

El Pistolero
04-11-13, 17:02
You know the car crashes and mangled people they show in driver's ed courses, to include first responders scooping driver's brains off the asphalt? It scared me enough into being a safe driver. I think the same should apply to gun owners. If every new gun sold came with a brochure of graphic and gruesome gunshot wounds it would help some people give firearms more respect for what they are capable of doing to the human body in one moment of carelessness. It's always in the back of my mind, especially when handling firearms AND live ammo together (chambering a round, inserting a loaded magazine, etc.). Well handling firearms in general but of course more cautious with live ammo around.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-11-13, 21:48
Echoing everyone else's comments, I fail to see how the gun "just" went off randomly. The LCR has a firing pin block a la Glocks and unless his gun is severely out of spec or severely damaged/broken, it's impossible for it to randomly go off (at least from the firing pin). For the firing pin to be free to hit a primer, the trigger has to be pulled.

So either a round cooked off, had a delayed ignition, his firing pin block is severely broken, or he blew his own hand up by inadvertently activating the trigger.

I doubt a round cooked off. The cylinder (and thus, gun) would have to be insanely hot for that, to the point where he wouldn't be able to hold the gun or operate it to eject spent rounds.

I doubt he had a delayed ignition. Since the shot went down the barrel into his hand, if he had a delayed ignition, the first round he shot would have had to have been the dud. After all, if it were any of the other rounds, the gun would've blown up since they wouldn't have been aligned with the barrel. And if it HAD been the first round that didn't go off, that would have stood out to him and would have been a part of his initial analysis of what happened.

I doubt the firing pin block is broken. It's a crucial part in the intricate mechanism of the revolver. If it were broken, I highly doubt he would have been able to operate the gun without feeling a rough trigger or something, or operate the gun at all for that matter. And even if it were broken, I highly doubt a loose firing pin would hit a primer hard enough to set it off if the gun is just being held in your hands.

Really, I think it comes down to the guy mistakenly pulling the trigger and shooting his hand. He might not have known how he did it, and may still not know how he did it, but I'm 99.99999% certain that's what happened. (or he knows exactly how he did it and is in complete denial right now about how he injured himself and his pride)

Suwannee Tim
04-13-13, 20:26
The perpetrators never remember exactly how the ND occurred and often describe physically impossible circumstances. The common factor is they weren't paying attention.

I grew up on revolvers, I have shot a lot of revolvers, different kinds from Rhoms to Korths and everything in between, from 22s to 454s and everything in between, SAAs, Smiths, Rugers a Webley Fosbery, I've shot them all. I even met Elmer Keith as a kid. If that don't cement my revolver credentials I don't know what would. Revolvers don't cook off, they don't "go off". They go bang when you pull the trigger, just like any other gun. And just like any other gun, a revolver need not be pointed at a piece of one's anatomy to be manipulated. There is one and only one explanation for this ND, operator error. I'm glad he didn't kill himself. I'm gladder he didn't kill an innocent bystander.

Moose-Knuckle
04-13-13, 20:36
The perpetrators never remember exactly how the ND occurred and often describe physically impossible circumstances. The common factor is they weren't paying attention.

I grew up on revolvers, I have shot a lot of revolvers, different kinds from Rhoms to Korths and everything in between, from 22s to 454s and everything in between, SAAs, Smiths, Rugers, I've shot them all. I even met Elmer Keith as a kid, shot with him on two separate days. If that don't cement my credentials I don't know what would. Revolvers don't cook off, they don't "go off". They go bang when you pull the trigger, just like any other gun. And just like any other gun, a revolver need not be pointed at a piece of one's anatomy to be manipulated. There is one and only one explanation for this ND, operator error. I'm glad he didn't kill himself. I'm gladder he didn't kill an innocent bystander.

Damn straight!

Korths huh, I'm foliage green with envy.

jaxman7
04-13-13, 20:42
Gonna admit something on here right now that's quite embarrassing (not the 1st time here on M4C!) and humiliating. Yet this one thing earlier in my life has done more for gun safety to me than anything else.

I have a Colt 1911 made in 1946. My grandfather purchased it after he got back from the occupation of Europe that same year.

My grandparents raised me. Mom was rarely around. So one day after shooting the 1911 in the backyard, my 15 year old self decided it needed some cleaning. Grandma was outside in the flower bed. Pop was outside as well mowing. I took the old Colt into my room and was going to rack the slide back.....that is when the day went wrong.

Somehow the lower right portion of my left hand was cupped over the muzzle. Not exactly sure of the next few steps honestly but all I remember after trying to pull the slide back was...BANG. Thank goodness it was ball. It just put 2 rather large holes in my hand which healed for the most part over time. What's interesting is that I felt no pain. None. Not until hours later and the soreness came around.
Yep...that was my largest lesson in gun safety.:)

Suwannee Tim
04-13-13, 20:51
You know the car crashes and mangled people they show in driver's ed courses, to include first responders scooping driver's brains off the asphalt? It scared me enough into being a safe driver. I think the same should apply to gun owners. If every new gun sold came with a brochure of graphic and gruesome gunshot wounds it would help some people give firearms more respect for what they are capable of doing to the human body in one moment of carelessness. It's always in the back of my mind, especially when handling firearms AND live ammo together (chambering a round, inserting a loaded magazine, etc.). Well handling firearms in general but of course more cautious with live ammo around.

I got to see a guy shoot himself in the left hand with a 45 about 20 years ago, not hurt nearly as bad as this guy but still very impressive, very bloody. Pistolero hits the nail right on the head. Guns require attention and guns and ammo require focused attention. It's dismaying how many people don't understand that.

Damn straight!

Korths huh, I'm foliage green with envy.

Robert Beeman gave me three Korths as sales samples. I ain't much of a salesman and selling Korths was no exception. I didn't sell the first gun. I did enjoy the hell out of shooting them. I wish I had bought one or more of them but I just didn't have the money. Dr. Beeman didn't sell many either. They were just too expensive.

E-man930
04-13-13, 21:00
There are a few lessons to be learned here, lets hope that others learn from his mistakes. And of course it had to happen in Georgia, on the biggest fudd board we have... :rolleyes:

Suwannee Tim
04-13-13, 21:02
There are a few lessons to be learned here, lets hope that others learn from his mistakes. And of course it had to happen in Georgia, on the biggest fudd board we have... :rolleyes:

It is amazing how hard it is to persuade some people that they can learn from the mistakes of others. There are folks out there who need to learn every lesson the hard way.

El Pistolero
04-13-13, 22:02
It is amazing how hard it is to persuade some people that they can learn from the mistakes of others. There are folks out there who need to learn every lesson the hard way.

That's the saying isn't it? "A man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others." I don't remember whose quote that is.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-14-13, 08:03
The pucker factor is high after seeing the picture of his hand.:eek:

El Pistolero
04-14-13, 09:23
The pucker factor is high after seeing the picture of his hand.:eek:

No kidding. I play guitar and I don't know what I'd do if I lost use of any of my fingers.

Airhasz
04-14-13, 12:33
No kidding. I play guitar and I don't know what I'd do if I lost use of any of my fingers.

A guy named Tony Iommi overcame a chopped finger and became a "Guitar Legend".

chadbag
04-14-13, 12:37

You could take up bass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ThulqDmKc

----

randolph
04-14-13, 13:10
has he called his mom yet ?

fixit69
04-14-13, 13:37

I thought it was fingers? Plural. Just the tips.

sammage
04-14-13, 14:03
has he called his mom yet ?

Maybe his training didn't kick in as quick as Tex.

Magic_Salad0892
04-14-13, 18:59
You could take up bass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ThulqDmKc

----

Lol. I'm so glad somebody posted that.

chadbag
04-14-13, 23:40
Lol. I'm so glad somebody posted that.

The dude is amazing. There are a lot of videos of him on YouTube. Just search for "Bill Clements."

--

Animal_Mother556
04-15-13, 10:26
I can't figure out how a hand is directly in front of the muzzle if he was preparing to open the cylinder....

I also call BS on the gun "just going off"

montanadave
04-15-13, 10:58
Folks need to read the actual thread and the guy's comments on the incident. His initial posts understandably reflected confusion and shock on his part as to what happened, as well as being written while under the influence of pain medications.

He subsequently assumed full responsibility for the ND: "The lcr is in flawless shape. It was without a doubt my fault." (http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/388340-My-1st-and-last-ND-Very-nasty-picture-not-for-weak-stomach/page39)

Smash
04-15-13, 14:01
Folks need to read the actual thread and the guy's comments on the incident. His initial posts understandably reflected confusion and shock on his part as to what happened, as well as being written while under the influence of pain medications.

He subsequently assumed full responsibility for the ND: "The lcr is in flawless shape. It was without a doubt my fault." (http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/388340-My-1st-and-last-ND-Very-nasty-picture-not-for-weak-stomach/page39)

Now that he is trying to sell the gun. Haha.

El Pistolero
04-15-13, 17:02

I also don't have Tony Iommi's chops so I'd be at a bigger disadvantage if I lost some digits.

Moltke
04-15-13, 17:09
nom nom nom

Throw some of that hand on the grill!

SteveS
04-17-13, 23:45
I thought the gun was unloaded!!!!