PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Holster for G26/27

whick1
04-11-13, 08:07
My old 1970s era hand me down ankle holster finally gave out and I am in market for a new one. I pack a Glock 27 in ankle holster as backup while on job (Deputy Sheriff) and off duty as well as a back up. I did a search but could not find what I was looking for. Not looking on spending tons of $$ would like to find one for less than $75.

What do you guys suggest.
What is best material for comfort as well as securing weapon?
What are some of the more comfortable ankle holsters you have worn?
What are you experiences good or bad with a particular ankle holster?

I really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks a lot.

moonshot
04-11-13, 08:38
Alessi Holsters are considered some of the best out there and well worth the money, but they are way above your stated price range.

I use a Fobus ankle rig for a j-frame and it has worked extremely well. Only cost about $45.

I have a Fobus ankle rig for a baby Glock, but I haven't started using it. Also cost about $45.

I like kydex because the gun can lock in place without a friction fit - something I prefer on a semi-auto. I don't want the slide to move when I holster, and I don't want the holster to move when I draw.

Psalms144.1
04-11-13, 09:02
Galco Ankle Glove. Middle of the road on price, lower upper end on quality, bullet proof durability. I have Ankle Gloves for all my BUGs, and several of them are a decade + old. They may look like crap from daily (and I mean every day except when I'm in shorts), but the still hold rock solid.

I've tried just about every elastic and nylon rig out there, and will never waste a penny on one again. This is clearly a case of "buy quality, and only cry once..."

Look at Optics Planet for decent prices on Ankle Gloves and free shipping.

Regards,

Kevin

markm
04-11-13, 09:19
I tried the Galco Ankle glove and it sucked. Too slow... uncomfortable. Hated it.

Now as silly as this may seem... the FOBUS ankle holster was great for me. I strapped it on over duty boots with un-bloused pants covering it, and wore that thing a LOT.

It wasn't an occasional use thing. I could run in it and everything. Plus it was a grab and pull draw.... i.e. NO stupid velcro strap to undo while you're getting beaten or shot.

glocktogo
04-11-13, 09:24
I used an Ankle Glove every day for 4 years with a G-26. I still use it on occasion. It's the one I always recommend.

dmaxfireman
04-11-13, 09:29
Can't speak for the G26 but I find my ankle glove extremely comfortable with my lcr bug.

markm
04-11-13, 09:31
I'll send whick1 my Ankle glove for free.... I think I still have it.... barely used. I'll check when I get home. :)

Joe R.
04-11-13, 10:45
Renegade, very comfortable and reasonably priced. Alessi makes exceptional holsters and their ankle rig is the gold standard.

I would steer clear of anything made by Fobus. The quality and design are less then acceptable. For a range rig to it would be fine, beyond that they are a no go.

markm
04-11-13, 11:01
I would steer clear of anything made by Fobus. The quality and design are less then acceptable. For a range rig to it would be fine, beyond that they are a no go.

I normally would agree. But I carried that sucker for years. Now granted and open carry belt holster can be pulled apart by a nut trying to steal your weapon.... but the ankle rig in concealment was very doable.

In either case, the Galco offer stands. I couldn't get it to be comfortable on my leg with dress socks.

jamaicanj
04-11-13, 11:26
I regularly use an galco ankle glove for my G26. Have one for my sig 232. It's extremely comfy and a good value for the price.

officerX
04-11-13, 11:27
I've used a Fobus for years without complaint.

markm
04-11-13, 11:32
I've used a Fobus for years without complaint.

I ran the bases in a softball game at some family gathering with my Fobus. :confused:

jnc36rcpd
04-11-13, 18:05
Are you guys wearing boots with your ankle rigs. I used a DeSantis Apache for a SIG 239 some years ago and it worked OK. More recently, I tried a G-27 in an Apache and it seemed to cause significant knee pain. Thanks and be safe.

markm
04-11-13, 19:16
Are you guys wearing boots with your ankle rigs. I used a DeSantis Apache for a SIG 239 some years ago and it worked OK. More recently, I tried a G-27 in an Apache and it seemed to cause significant knee pain. Thanks and be safe.

I did with the fobus, but I don't think I tried the Galco with boots.... It might be good in that role.. :confused:

El Cid
04-11-13, 19:47
I've been working plain clothes LE for about 7 years now and unless I'm wearing shorts always have on an ankle gun. Very rarely it's a snubby - 99% of the time it's a baby Glock.

What I've learned:
- The holsters that are elastic pouches will collapse when the gun is drawn. This makes holstering a major PITA! It's also not the safest as you have to use your support hand to hold it open while inserting the muzzle.

- The holsters (like the Galco) that require you to mate the two edges with Velcro make it impossible to recreate the sweet spot. Some days it's too loose, some days too tight. It's a constant guessing game. You can mark it with a paint pen but the elastic wears over time and you will need to keep updating the mark. The models with a strap and buckle allow you to find and keep the sweet spot because of the bend in the strap.

- The sheep wool style padding sweats like crazy. The felt style like the Alessi uses breathes better. The models like the Apache with no padding suck donkey dicks if you wear them for more than a couple hours.

- I haven't had knee issues, but many of us had lower back issues. The fix most of us arrived at was to carry something else on the opposite ankle to balance things a bit. For me that's a G17 mag and a CAT TQ in a Tuff Products ankle carrier. Some choose to carry cuffs.

I really recommend the Alessi. Yes it's more costly but you get what you pay for IMO. I've been using one for the G27/26 since 2006 and love it! If you can't stand to wait and save up for it, I recommend looking at this:

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-HOLSTER-OR-ACCESSORY/ANKLE-HOLSTERS/Leather-Ankle-Holster/Glock/26-27-33

Good luck whatever you decide.

ST911
04-11-13, 22:27
Bunch of threads on ankle carry. My usual input...

Don't skimp. Buy a quality holster that's contoured correctly, sized properly, and does not require over or under tensioning in order to stay in place. Nerve or vascular damage can occur if the holster isn't worn properly. If it offers one-size-fits-all or universal adjustment, beware.

Off-the-shelf mass-produced ankle holsters are sized, proportioned, and contoured for average-sized men. If you are not "average", pay attention to taper and contour for their effect on bone/muscle structure at the ankle and calf.

Counter-balance the weight of the gun with weight on the other side. A spare mag, light, or other weight helps to even out your gait and limit other tendency to "throw" the weighted leg.

Be sure to try all of the different styles and pairs of shoes you wear with your choice of holster, and be willing to change one or the other. I've had holsters that worked well with athletic shoes that were intolerable with dress shoes, and vice versa.

Practice, practice, practice deployment.

Style, cut, and construction of pants should also be considered. Finer material may wear quickly. Consider having your tailor reinforce fine dress clothes. To preserve a dress look, increase the rake of your hem with greater drop to the heel. If material and appearance are less an issue, add 2" to your inseam and drive on.

If you carry the really lightweight guns like LCPs, scandiums, and sometimes the airweights, they will mask the failures of lesser holsters. If you want to carry more gun, like a Glock subcompact or an M&P compact, you will need a better holster.

I ankle carry a G27 12-18 hours every day. I use only Alessi ankle holsters to maintain comfort and prevent injury. I've been able to carry G19s and G23s on the ankle as well, when the advice above is heeded.

I think Renegade is out of business. If not, they are at least completely unresponsive...for some time...to email and telecomm contacts.

BIGUGLY
04-12-13, 08:55
Crossbreed holsters has one that looks interesting. they come in under your budget as well. I just ordered one for a Beretta Nano.

Nemecsek
04-14-13, 15:21
I use the Galco for my 26. For me, the calf strap garter thing is a must as it adds much needed stability and I dont have to over tighten it. I have also cut the thumb snap off as it is totally useless for me. The friction of the holster keeps it in solid, even while running. I have also carried my 19 and 23 in the same exact holster with no issues. Bell bottoms are helpful...