PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Game Ever?

SMETNA
04-11-13, 15:16
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/the-nostalgic-insanity-of-far-cry-3-blood-dragon

Watch the 15 minute gameplay preview. This game is 80's-tastic and hilarious.

For $15-20, I'm in.

PA PATRIOT
04-11-13, 16:04
Cool looking game, a simple shoot them up with some adult humor added in.

Packman73
04-11-13, 17:27
I think Madden and Splinter Cell are the best two games ever. YMMV.

KrampusArms
04-11-13, 18:15
That looks pretty cool.

Best games I'll list down here.

Duke Nukem 3d
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye
Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Call of Duty 4
Skyrim

jmoore
04-11-13, 18:30
Pong

:)

Magic_Salad0892
04-11-13, 19:46
Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid Series (1987-2012)
Silent Hill Series (1998-2011)

Honorable mention: Castlevania (NES/SNES ones.), Chrono Trigger (SNES), and Skyrim.

JBecker 72
04-11-13, 20:13
Half Life

/thread

Ryno12
04-11-13, 20:21
Pong

:)

Tank Pong! Had quite a few laughing jags playing that game when I was a kid.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

SMETNA
04-11-13, 20:22
Half Life

/thread

I wish valve would friggin release half life 3 already.

JBecker 72
04-11-13, 20:23
I wish valve would friggin release half life 3 already.

Yeah, I'm really hoping something comes soon.

J8127
04-11-13, 22:58
Final Fantasy VII

DUH

jpmuscle
04-11-13, 23:00
Mario Kart. N64.

/ end of thread.

Magic_Salad0892
04-11-13, 23:06
Final Fantasy VII

DUH

Gay. That game was awful. It's all about FF2.

Magic_Salad0892
04-11-13, 23:07
Yeah, I'm really hoping something comes soon.

"Hey guys, wanna work on Half Life? Or that shitty Left 4 Dead project?"

"Which one can we get done faster?"

"Left 4 Dead."

"We're on it."

Noodles
04-11-13, 23:16
Oh I got you all in check.

Beyond Good and Evil
Bioshock (deconstructs AynRand, religion, human greed, Communism, etc)

Also grat but not to the same transcendent art level IMO
Halflife series
Zelda, a link to the past or orchina
FinalFantasy 2,3 or 7
SuperMetroid
Metal gear 2 and 3

Koshinn
04-12-13, 00:50
Wing Commander 4
Soul Caliber 2
Fallout 3
Metal Gear Solid 4

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 01:01
In my opinion it's kinda wrong to take a single game from a series where there's a continued story line and say it's better than other games.

I think it has to be taken as a series. Like Splinter Cell (Awful. Thanks, Conviction/Blacklist.) and Metal Gear (Badass.), or even Call of Duty (anybody who says the story wasn't mediocre is wrong).

JohnnyC
04-12-13, 01:12
Jackal for the original Nintendo.

Belmont31R
04-12-13, 01:21
Dumb question.

Koshinn
04-12-13, 02:08
In my opinion it's kinda wrong to take a single game from a series where there's a continued story line and say it's better than other games.

I think it has to be taken as a series. Like Splinter Cell (Awful. Thanks, Conviction/Blacklist.) and Metal Gear (Badass.), or even Call of Duty (anybody who says the story wasn't mediocre is wrong).

Nah I don't think so. Story writers change, technology changes, music changes, gameplay gets better, etc. I loved Fallout 3, I think New Vegas is good, but I just can't play Fallout 1 or 2 anymore due to how dated the games are, and other Fallout titles like Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel barely count.

How can you compare Metal Gear 1 to Metal Gear Revengeance to Metal Gear Acid? Completely different but in the same series.

In my opinion in the MGS sub-series of Metal Gear games, 1 was great, 2 was eh (too reliant on 1 to mean anything whatsoever), 3 was great, 4 was epic (but only if you played MGS1-3).

Wing Commander 1 and 2 were not bad, 3 was getting better, but 4 was really one of the best space sim games ever. Better than TIE Fighter.

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 02:45
Nah I don't think so. Story writers change, technology changes, music changes, gameplay gets better, etc. I loved Fallout 3, I think New Vegas is good, but I just can't play Fallout 1 or 2 anymore due to how dated the games are, and other Fallout titles like Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel barely count.

How can you compare Metal Gear 1 to Metal Gear Revengeance to Metal Gear Acid? Completely different but in the same series.

In my opinion in the MGS sub-series of Metal Gear games, 1 was great, 2 was eh (too reliant on 1 to mean anything whatsoever), 3 was great, 4 was epic (but only if you played MGS1-3).

Wing Commander 1 and 2 were not bad, 3 was getting better, but 4 was really one of the best space sim games ever. Better than TIE Fighter.

You missed the part where I said "continued storyline".

You can compare the shit out of MG1 to MG: Revengeans. (Not Acid, because that's in a non-canon universe.) Because you can contrast, or review how that world evolves, or how the concept, or overall message of the games evolved.

MGS2 is the most information dense game I've ever played, and had easily the best story of any game I've ever played (by itself) ever, bar none. But my favorite is still MGS3 and 4 tied.

Never played WC.

Koshinn
04-12-13, 03:07
You missed the part where I said "continued storyline".

You can compare the shit out of MG1 to MG: Revengeans. (Not Acid, because that's in a non-canon universe.) Because you can contrast, or review how that world evolves, or how the concept, or overall message of the games evolved.

MGS2 is the most information dense game I've ever played, and had easily the best story of any game I've ever played (by itself) ever, bar none. But my favorite is still MGS3 and 4 tied.

Never played WC.

I guess our criteria for what makes a game "the best" differs then. I'm not only about story, but also about gameplay and replayability. I've played MGS2 probably 7 or 8 times, but I think MGS3 and 4 are better.

WC is so old that you need a DOS emulator (like dosbox) to play WC1-4. :D WC4 came on 6 or 7 CDs that you had to swap every so often because the game was so big. It had Mark Hammill (Luke Skywalker), Malcom McDowell (tons of things), John Rhys-Davies (Gimli), a guy who was in Lost, a guy who was in Babylon 5, and a few other people too. It's pretty neat actually, and the story is crazy.

Oh haha I found it for sale/download without needing an emulator!: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/wing_commander_4_the_price_of_freedom

montrala
04-12-13, 08:57
Anyone remember Elite (I had Atari ST version)?

I also loved I-War (later named Independence War). Very realistic space game, with full Newtonian physics. For those who did not see that, just watch intro http://youtu.be/BCmVsRjpTss

Trajan
04-12-13, 09:22
MGS2 did have the best story line of any game that I know. (I don't play anything new though)

My picks:
Goldeneye 007 and/or Perfect Dark.

Many a summers wasted in my childhood on those two.

Koshinn
04-12-13, 10:55
Escape Velocity Nova is also a great game.

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 12:34
I guess our criteria for what makes a game "the best" differs then. I'm not only about story, but also about gameplay and replayability.

I do as well, which is why I liked MGS3, and 4 better than 2. (MGS3 still has some of the best environments in any game I've played. Not counting Skyrim, or Fallout 3.)

Heavy Metal
04-12-13, 12:53
Operation Flashpoint

JBecker 72
04-12-13, 12:55
Anyone ever play MDK? That game was pretty cool.

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 13:01

MDK? Sounds familiar. What's it stand for?

Anybody ever play Second Sight? That game was awesome.

JBecker 72
04-12-13, 13:03
Not sure what it stands for. Here is the wiki and a youtube video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDK_(video_game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwHpAdNbaY

sammage
04-12-13, 13:07
MDK is a classic...so many jokes, so many explosions.

Alex V
04-12-13, 13:26
Half Life

/thread

agreed!

I miss the days when games took longer than 5 hours to beat.

JohnnyC
04-12-13, 13:55

Both of them were excellent!

Trajan
04-12-13, 14:05
I do as well, which is why I liked MGS3, and 4 better than 2. (MGS3 still has some of the best environments in any game I've played. Not counting Skyrim, or Fallout 3.)

I actually enjoyed the existentialism at the end of MGS2 better than the story line of the others. Could have ended the series there really if they cut out the whole "The Patriots have been dead for 100 years" thing.

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 14:11
I actually enjoyed the existentialism at the end of MGS2 better than the story line of the others. Could have ended the series there really if they cut out the whole "The Patriots have been dead for 100 years" thing.

But then the series would have had either:

A.) No ending.

B.) A stupid one.

It was a good ending for that game, but not overall.

Trajan
04-12-13, 14:28
But then the series would have had either:

A.) No ending.

B.) A stupid one.

It was a good ending for that game, but not overall.

The game could have or should have ended at MGS1. Did Meryl or Ocelot survive? Snake retires in Alaska with either his nerd buddy, or the Colonels hot piece of ass daughter.

MGS2 could have just ended as a "mind ****" in that the premise was to create the same person based on the same experiences, verses what their mind is genetically.

Koshinn
04-12-13, 14:30
The best line from MGS2:

"Infinite ammo."

Voodoochild
04-12-13, 15:07
Russian attack original Nintendo.

KrampusArms
04-12-13, 15:39
The game could have or should have ended at MGS1. Did Meryl or Ocelot survive? Snake retires in Alaska with either his nerd buddy, or the Colonels hot piece of ass daughter.

MGS2 could have just ended as a "mind ****" in that the premise was to create the same person based on the same experiences, verses what their mind is genetically.

The reason I love the MGS games is because the plot is such a convoluted cluster ****. I've been playing these since I was a teenager. I still have a hard time making sense of it all. Its such a wild bunch of absolute horseshit.

The best MGS is 3. Snake Eater was the series plateau, it didnt get any better after that. MGS4 was good, dont get me wrong, but the damn game was basically ALL a cutscene.

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 16:16

If the series would have ended at MGS1, it would've been a super boner kill because they were already setting in motion the events of future/past games. (Clarifying about the events of Big Boss, touching on Snake's personal guilt, etc.)

KrampusArms
04-12-13, 16:40
:alcoholic:
If the series would have ended at MGS1, it would've been a super boner kill because they were already setting in motion the events of future/past games. (Clarifying about the events of Big Boss, touching on Snake's personal guilt, etc.)

Yeah agreed. It COULDN'T have ended at 1. No way.

The way Kojimas mind works, he could keep it going forever with all his BS.

Has anybody tried revengeance yet? I think it looks like ass.

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 16:53
:alcoholic:

Yeah agreed. It COULDN'T have ended at 1. No way.

The way Kojimas mind works, he could keep it going forever with all his BS.

Has anybody tried revengeance yet? I think it looks like ass.

It's fun. The story isn't terrible. The difficulty is decent. But it's really short. I'd pay to own it. (And I did.) But don't expect a masterpiece.

I do like it though, as it furthers Raiden's character arc.

Trajan
04-12-13, 19:39
The best MGS is 3. Snake Eater was the series plateau, it didnt get any better after that. MGS4 was good, dont get me wrong, but the damn game was basically ALL a cutscene.

Which is why I think they should just turn it into a CGI movie.

I always thought that the game play in the first Splinter Cell was way better anyway, but I LOVE the MGS storyline.

Only thing that pissed me off about MGS4 was ninja Raiden. How original, Grey Fox.....

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 19:48
Only thing that pissed me off about MGS4 was ninja Raiden. How original, Grey Fox.....

Huh... I wonder if that wasn't intentional....

(Hint hint: Parts of Raiden's suit are made from the same type of suit that comprised Grey Fox.)

KrampusArms
04-12-13, 19:56
Which is why I think they should just turn it into a CGI movie.

I always thought that the game play in the first Splinter Cell was way better anyway, but I LOVE the MGS storyline.

That wasn't all that bad. The whole Meryl Johnny thing, was nauseating. I wanted Old Snake to bone that at the end..... Especially after him and Liquid Ocelet kissed, in that long dramatic bromance fight.....

madisonsfinest
04-12-13, 19:59
Skyrim
Fallout 3
COD's for multiplayer

eagle5
04-12-13, 20:17
Jackal for the original Nintendo.

JohnnyC knows what's what! A man after my own heart and a true gaming connoisseur!

Magic_Salad0892
04-12-13, 23:59
No mention of Chrono Trigger in this thread. Fail.