PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication?????

sbui
03-23-08, 21:04
So since I'm fairly new into the AR shooting. How much lubrication is too much???

I know to put lubrication on the bolt rails and the other moving spots on the rifle. But what is considered too much lube.

This is what I do. I use the Tetra grease, put it on the rail where it moves, then I smear a dab, maybe just a drop up and down the rail.

From there take a towel and clean off the excess if there is any. but again what are the true ways of lubricating this rifle.

I've always thought if you can see a good sheen of oil or grease when holding it up to the light then that's a bit too much.

Some pics would be nice.

Jay Cunningham
03-23-08, 21:07
There is probably no such thing as too much lube on an AR. Grease is okay but you are probably better served in most circumstances with a thick oil like WeaponShield or Slip2000.

Northbilly
03-23-08, 21:37
I've used Tetra grease and oil - but the smell put me off. I normally treat the bolt & carrier with Miltec 1 and use it on the bore and lube the receiver down well (wet) with it. I also have used Slip 2000 another excellent product.

I'll second the no such thing as too much oil for your AR - at least at the range (no experience in hostile environments like Iraq or Afganistan). New shooter come to the range a lot with dry AR's and after a mag or two have issues. I have use Rem Oil in a spray can to "save the day" by spraying down the bolt and receiver (quick fix) to save the day.

RD62
03-23-08, 21:53
I have and ocassionally do use Militec. I like it. That said I have tried Weapon Shield and Slip2000 EWL and like them better. Non-toxic, no odor, just as effective if not more so.

I too don't think there is such a thing as too much lube. I believe there is even a sticky on it in the Tech forum. Shortly after I am finished lubing I will see some weeping around the charging handle and take down pins, maybe even around the FCG pins.

A little on the bolt lugs and body of the bolt, a drop on the inside to the carrier and a drop down the gas key, a drop on the outside of the gas key, a drop on the carrier key and in it's channel. The exterior of the BCG gets some as does both the inside and outside of the charging handle, and once it's all together maybe a drop in the gas vent holes. Did I forget anything? Oh yeah a drop on the FCG parts.

When I think I'm done I add a drop more. It's cheap insurance.

-RD62

Blake
03-24-08, 00:33
As stated you can't really use too much. I believe I read somewhere that it will either drip off or shoot itself off if you used too much. Big basic theme is get all the internals well lubed. Pat Rogers has touched upon this subject in depth, there is a SWAT article about a year ago that covers in depth about "A Way" to do it. Great read. If it is dripping all over the sides just wipe it off, but within in reason, it is hard to over do it. It may be nice to lube it up well, and fire off several hundred rounds, or more, to know how hard your rifle can run without being lubed. But then again, that is a personal preference and it depends on your needs. If this is not a worry of yours then disregard. I like Slip 2000, and 10-8 lube myself. Both have been good. There are a whole lot out there that will do just fine. Just use something.

warpigM-4
03-24-08, 07:37
well at FT Knox we had a spray bottle with CLP in it and would lock the bolt back and spray two or three good sprays right in and then release the bolt ,rack it a few times ,load mag and Bang.now the CLP would always splash you in the face when you fired, but we had Ballistics glasses on .I love the taste of CLP and Gunpowder.Damn I am wierd:D .I see way to many people show up to shoot with a weapon that is dry!!!I even had a 93 colt sporter that jammed like hell .problem I was use to my AK shooting without much lube ,so i didn't think to lube the AR up more than what I was use to .Big mistake !!!!!FTE,Double feeds I was pissed but lucky for me a retired soldier showed me the way on CLP and the AR God that was 17 years ago:confused: where did the time go

Failure2Stop
03-24-08, 08:41
Pretty much all "excess" lube will be gone after the first or second shot. Sure, it will usually wind up on your face, but after that, no worries. ;)

I am not big on face lubrication, so I lubricate specific areas:

The bolt itself with a coat of lube (shiny / none dripping off) with a drop on the bolt face/ejector, work the ejector to ensure that lube works its way into the ejector hole, and a drop onto the back of the extractor near the extractor retainer pin.
The gas rings with a single drop of lube.
Then reassemble the Bolt/BCG.
A couple of drops on the BGC, spead with a finger (shiny / no dripping) with another drop on each rail and the bottom raised rail.
A single drop on the sear enagament notch on the back of the hammer.
A single drop on the trigger pin/disconnector.
A thin coat on the buffer and buffer spring (shiny / no dripping).

As the day commences, pull the bolt halfway back in the ejection port and place a single drop on the junction of the bolt and carrier, at the extractor, and one drop through each vent hole. One drop on the bottom rail, one drop on the top rail, and a drop though the ejection port onto the bottom and top race-way. Cycle a few times.

markm
03-24-08, 08:55
The one thing that I see sometimes that I think is wasteful is wet carriers (on the outside)

It's doing no good, and making a mess. I just put a light grease on the rails as mentioned above. The bolt on the other hand seems to like being really wet.

ksa464
03-24-08, 15:18
Oil it as much as you can. I use CLP for cleaning and coat everything else with 15W 50 Mobile 1 syth oil.....much cheaper by the quart; lasts for years too.

RogerinTPA
03-24-08, 15:29
The topic of lube should be addressed in a "knowledge based " thread.

variablebinary
03-24-08, 16:12
CLP...lots of it.

Quib
03-24-08, 18:03
I use Break-Free LP on my bolt and carrier, and apply IAW the -10 operators manual.

John123
03-24-08, 19:43
I use CLP for cleaning. For serious lubrication use Machine Gunner Lube from Larue. I love it. It sticks on and doesnt burn off. It makes cleaning a breeze, most of the time a spray with CLP and a wipe down.

John