PDA

View Full Version : Mil to Civilian transtion

Spiffums
04-11-13, 17:11
I was told by an ex Navy Nurse (male) that if his wife, Navy Nurse also, couldn't adjust to civilian life after 6 years in the Navy that she could get disability for that. He gets 30% disability because if he doesn't take a certain med he turns back into a fall down drunk.

Are these really grounds for getting disability checks or do they just need to "harden the **** up"?

Zane1844
04-11-13, 17:16
Well, if they were active duty in the Middle East, I cannot imagine what they saw as nurses. They should be helped out to get back on their feet as civilians.

Failure2Stop
04-11-13, 17:21
That sounds like it would require significant psychological testing, and would take no less than 2 years to actually receive compensation. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but that if it is true that she can't adapt to a civilian job she better stay in.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-11-13, 17:33
If thats true I'm quitting my job for the next 6 years.

Irish
04-11-13, 17:35
Are these really grounds for getting disability checks or do they just need to "harden the **** up"?

If they grant her disability then there are grounds for it. Simple as that. I have no idea what she went through in her time of service so I really can't say much more than that.

Most people are unaware of what the VA's stance on disability is. If you get screwed up in the .Mil or make an existing "disability" worse while in service then they compensate you for that.

Disability Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service.

I have a claim in with the VA currently and my nitwit VFW rep told me 2 days ago that it'd be about 2 more years til I can expect a decision, either way it goes.

Spiffums
04-11-13, 19:05
You all know way more than I could search for on the net, and that's why I asked here.

As far as I know neither ever saw combat and pretty much worked on base (Maryland) or on a Ship the whole time.

It's just how he said it like you expect to hear from a member of the Free Shit Army.

Both are out now and pretty raw attitude at the Navy.

I mean no disrespect with this thread I just have questions and you all are the best resource to talk about this with.

Belmont31R
04-11-13, 19:15
I have never heard of someone getting compensated because after they got out, some period down the road, they couldn't adjust to civilian life. Maybe theres more to it than that but simply not adjusting well to civilian life isn't a disability.

Also when you get out you get a physical and an interview. That would be your chance to bring everything up. At least when I got out you didn't do PT or much after your exit physical because they didn't want people getting hurt between then and when you actually leave the gates for the last time.

Like it or not people do try to scam military disability but at the same time the VA is SLOW as molasses. The GI BILL system is so backlogged I've talked to people who didn't even get paid until the semester was over or almost over. In the meantime most people have to pay for tuition and living costs out of pocket then whenever the VA decides to pay them reimburse themselves. So the lesson here is people get screwed and people try to screw 'the system'. It's an area that needs MAJOR improvement on both accounts.

eodinert
04-12-13, 05:25
This 0% disability retiree contractor (meaning me) has met a number of 100% disabled retiree contractors over here in Afghanistan. To which I always think, 'How the **** are you upright, and working in Afghanistan as a contractor if you're 100% disabled?.'

The system is broke.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-12-13, 06:46
Everyone deals with trauma differently some people have no issues and some due. I would suspect that there is more going on than you know and its best not to pry, they served and that's it you may end up finding out something you did not expect and only justifying all your snooping to yourself while alienating yourself from your friends.

I know of one guy who was hurt so bad training state side he was 100% disabled at 21, he fell off the back of a truck at highway speeds and was hit by a tractor.

Its hard for some of use not to question what we see and here when there are guys who served along the Texas/Mexico border when they receiving 100% ratings for PTSD.

theblackknight
04-12-13, 08:05
Assuming people need to "cowboy up" is just as bad as our blame the victim rape culture. Its not really anyones place to decide if people should have or not.

sent from mah gun,using my sights