PDA

View Full Version : Which Grip ?

Northbilly
03-23-08, 21:27
If you have replaced you GI hand grip what did you replace it with and how do you like it.

Considering the Magpul Miad grip any experience or feedback ?

Appreciate your help - Northbilly

RD62
03-23-08, 21:59
I swapped to a MIAD.

Very nice. I recommend it.

-RD62

Parabellum9x19mm
03-23-08, 23:08
Tango Down is good if you have smaller hands and it is good on shorter barrels.

otherwise, MIAD...it is the best grip i have used.

Cold Zero
03-23-08, 23:10
Tango down for small hands, MIAD for large or small. Can't go wrong with either one.

Hang-Fire
03-23-08, 23:44
I have Falcon Industries "Ergo" grips on all three of my AR's. They fit my hand much better than the GI grip, they're not expensive, and they remind me of the grip on my G-3.

HF

Oscar 319
03-24-08, 05:45
Does the MIAD grip fill the "gap" w/o a gapper plug?

Robb Jensen
03-24-08, 06:24
Does the MIAD grip fill the "gap" w/o a gapper plug?

I does if you use the optional plastic bigger trigger guard. I prefer the aluminum Magpul trigger guard.

ladders1901
03-25-08, 05:14
I have several Ergos and Tango Downs on different carbines and, while both are good, I prefer the Ergo.

Jay Cunningham
03-25-08, 05:21
The TD didn't seem to work too well for me. I've used the MIAD and recently the Ergo which I both like.

Sabre675
03-25-08, 05:22
I have TangoDown and Magpul MIAD. Hard to decide which I like better. I like the clean looks slightly better on the TangoDown. I think the MIAD might have a slight advantage in feel. Either way they are both VERY GOOD grips. So now you know which grips to get, you just need more lowers:D

tuff
03-25-08, 07:49
Tango down for small hands, MIAD for large or small. Can't go wrong with either one.

I'll repeat that, heck kinda sounds like a echo...:D

H2O MAN
03-25-08, 08:17
MIAD full kit.

MassMark
03-25-08, 08:19
Does anyone use the Ergo with the "SureGrip" coating? Any pluses or minuses noted?

ST911
03-25-08, 09:21
I'm using the MIAD with large rear insert, flat front strap. The TD is a quality unit, just too small. The Ergo doesn't fit my hand at all.

MassMark
03-25-08, 10:46
I'm using the MIAD with large rear insert, flat front strap. The TD is a quality unit, just too small. The Ergo doesn't fit my hand at all.

RE: Ergo - too small or too large? The reason i ask, is that I have big gorilla mitts and am looking for something that fits my hand. I stock A2 on my Troy MCS is "okay", but I need a bigger grip for both the MCS and my Anvil AR-15 build....

Shihan
03-25-08, 12:33
I really like the Miad and TD and either is fine with me. The Ergo feels good in the hand and my only complaint is that evil plug that wont stay put.

ST911
03-25-08, 12:47
RE: Ergo - too small or too large? The reason i ask, is that I have big gorilla mitts and am looking for something that fits my hand. I stock A2 on my Troy MCS is "okay", but I need a bigger grip for both the MCS and my Anvil AR-15 build....

Too small mostly, but more just a bad fit with the contours. I have lean hands and long fingers, so I'm a bit quirky. (Glove shopping is a real PITA.)

hellbound
03-25-08, 13:30
i am not a big fan of rubberized (Ergo, hogue) or finger molded (Ergo, G27) grips...

as you can see Ergo falls into both categories making it my AR grip nemesis. :D

I had one on an LMT SHOT show special lower (SOPMOD, Ergo, Ambi safety)... my friend liked it and it fit on his Barrett M99... I replaced it with a MIAD.

M4Guru
03-25-08, 14:15
I like the TD and Ergo, but all my guns have the TD. Just personal preference...

tiger seven
03-25-08, 14:53
I have small but fairly normal-shaped hands. The MIAD is nice, and obviously it offers a lot of options, but my favorite grip is the TD. It fits my hands just fine right out of the box. All I did to mine was spray it with some Krylon Spray-On Non-Skid Coating (kind of like truck bed liner) to give it a more aggessive texture.

Those are definitely my two favorites, and you really can't go wrong with either.

Derek

Failure2Stop
03-25-08, 15:33
I have a medium sized hand and skinny fingers. My biggest bitch about the A2 grip is the finger bump. My hand does not ride right on the grip in the intended position (middle finger above the bump, ring and little below the bump), so I wind up with my ring finger and middle finger above the bump, which is not comfortable, but do-able.

I like the MIAD, but I am hesitant about all the pieces, so I don't own any. I am looking forward to the MagPul MOE, which seems to answer my wants.

I have a Battle Grip, which I like, but the grip seems to be more heavily canted to the rear than I prefer. I have a strip of grip tape on the front of the grip, which eliminates slip. Good, but will probably be replaced by the MOE if it performs as expected.

I have an Ergo, which I prefer over an A2, but am not overly happy with. While not as bad as the A2, it does force my fingers into a position other than my preferred grip.

I Dremeled off the bump of an A2 for a friend of mine and put grip tape on the front. We both liked it. Not as CDI as the other options, but you can't beat the price.

sapper36
03-25-08, 15:42
I have the MIAD full kit and its good, I am 6'2" with big hands and it fills my entire hand, also lets my get the webbing of my hand in tight similar to holding a pistol.

ST911
03-25-08, 20:39
I like the MIAD, but I am hesitant about all the pieces, so I don't own any.

I'm still longing for some extra cores to use the balance of the pieces on.

ARin
03-25-08, 23:30
my preferences are MIAD, hogue, TD in that order

ergo's dont even make the list because i think they feel like shit. I had one, once upon a time, and it always felt like it was made for someone ELSES hand...or kinda like your foot feels when you cram your right one into your left boot.

Erick Gelhaus
03-25-08, 23:37
On the ARs where I have changed the grips - most - I have TD BattleGrips. Have predominently used that brand/model since '04. They also "feel" comfortable - in a functional way - when wearing gloves.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-26-08, 00:03
MIAD all the way. I think the TD unit has too much of a squared shape where it fills the gap.

MIAD lets you put on the backstrap you want. I like the medium backstrap since I don't have to scrunch up my hand to get a good trigger engagement with just the pad of my finger.

varoadking
03-26-08, 19:49
Miad with the "winter" trigger guard...

miamitj
03-27-08, 23:04
I swapped to a MIAD.

Very nice. I recommend it.

-RD62

X2 -- I own 3 of them ...

blackscot
03-28-08, 06:52
Just added the Magpul MIAD with the trigger-guard extension to my M&P15A. Big improvment in overall handling, plus it holds back-up parts.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/ar/magpul/left_front.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/ar/magpul/pg_contents.jpg

SilentButDeadly
03-28-08, 20:12
I have had ERGOs, TangoDowns, Hogues, & Standard A2s, but the MIAD has replaced all of them. The only exception being my Mk12 which wears a Sierra Precision grip.

S-1
03-28-08, 22:22
I used a Hogue for years and recently switched to the Tango Down. I prefer the TD.

Failure2Stop
03-30-08, 10:11
This thread caused me to buy a MIAD yesterday.
I hate you.

It really is a superb grip. The included pin to retain the backstrap relieves my grumpiness about a possible parts jettison.

Yup, I like the MIAD now.

C-Fish
03-30-08, 10:27
I hate you....Yup, I like the MIAD now.

I purchased a MIAD as well yesterday. I am going to get another and ditch the Hogues altogether...

:)

ra2bach
03-30-08, 10:32
my preferences are MIAD, hogue, TD in that order

ergo's dont even make the list because i think they feel like shit. I had one, once upon a time, and it always felt like it was made for someone ELSES hand...or kinda like your foot feels when you cram your right one into your left boot.I just got a hogue grip because I could get it cheap, though I haven't put it on yet.

does anyone know if changing the grip is legal in Service rifle class of NRA Highpower?

comprido
03-30-08, 12:30
Sierra Precision grip for me. It puts my trigger finger in the perfect position. The palm swell feels very nice too. I put a few strips of grip tape on it since it doesn't have any checkering.

Trim off the thumb rest if it gets the in the way of shooting from your the weak side (the left). Even with it on it is not not a big deal.

Shihan
03-30-08, 18:25
I hate you.

It really is a superb grip. The included pin to retain the backstrap relieves my grumpiness about a possible parts jettison.

The boys over at Magpul did a good job on the MIAD thats for sure.

chadbag
03-30-08, 22:39
Does anyone use the Ergo with the "SureGrip" coating? Any pluses or minuses noted?

I have ergo suregrip models on 3 rifles I have worked on and I like the suregrip as it "sticks" to the hand when sweaty or dirty so I don't lose my grip. For my hand size (medium) the ergo fits well and the suregrip coating is a major plus in my boat.

The MIAD is a really nice grip as well. The MOE will, IIRC, according to the catalog, come in a MOE Plus unit with a rubberized surface (I don't have the catalog in front of me -- this is from memory). I would like to see the MIAD where you can buy optional front and rear grip straps that are rubberized.

Chad

ARin
03-31-08, 14:47
I hate you.

backstrap cannot come off with the grip installed anyhow, pin or not.

WS6
03-31-08, 15:17
I have the Ergo Ambi-grip with the soft/grippy covering. I am very pleased with it.

Failure2Stop
03-31-08, 15:36
backstrap cannot come off with the grip installed anyhow, pin or not.

Are there different generations of the MIAD?

Maybe mine is an older model or something, because the backstrap is released by a tab to the rear of the grip plug and slides downward for removal. The frontstrap is retained by the trigger-guard.

Either way, I am fully comfortable with it on any of my personal weapons, and with some time I will see if I like it enough to move it to a work gun.

TBomb
03-31-08, 15:53

Maybe mine is an older model or something, because the backstrap is released by a tab to the rear of the grip plug and slides downward for removal. The frontstrap is retained by the trigger-guard.

Either way, I am fully comfortable with it on any of my personal weapons, and with some time I will see if I like it enough to move it to a work gun.

I am also under the impression that the backstrap can be removed with the grip still on the gun. The frontstrap cannot. At least that's how it is on my MIAD. Which I love so far :)

Jerm
03-31-08, 16:32
The Ergo feels good in the hand and my only complaint is that evil plug that wont stay put.

same here.

i actually love the feel of it,like it was custom made for my hand.

but the plug/cap is a PITA.

probably order a MIAD tonight...with the bolt storage.

Northbilly
03-31-08, 16:42
Why I like this discussion Group - Good Advice based on Expereince.

Just ordered a Miad (full kit with winter trigger guard) Gip - wound up ordering from AIM Surplus - everyone else was out of stock or back ordered - apparently they are very popular.

Here's hoping that AIM has them in stock and just didn't update their web site - Northbilly

ckay
03-31-08, 22:31
I'm a MIAD guy myself.

Morpheous
03-31-08, 22:39
I use the MIAD and like it...

9mmkungfu
03-31-08, 22:51
One more for the MIAD crowd.

blackscot
04-01-08, 06:27
I am also under the impression that the backstrap can be removed with the grip still on the gun. The frontstrap cannot.....

Affirmative.

....wound up ordering from AIM Surplus - everyone else was out of stock or back ordered - apparently they are very popular.

Here's hoping that AIM has them in stock and just didn't update their web site - Northbilly

I just got mine from there too. Ordered 3/19 and arrived 3/24.

ARin
04-01-08, 09:42

f2S, you are right.....i dont know what i was thinking.:confused:

9mmkungfu
04-01-08, 10:12
In the small bag of parts that was inside the grip when you purchased it, there should've been a small pin. If you look at your grip there should be a small hole in the backstrap that goes through it, and the grip, where you can drive the pin through and secure it if you wish.

Severian
04-01-08, 10:23
blank

ckay
04-01-08, 10:35
I am also under the impression that the backstrap can be removed with the grip still on the gun. The frontstrap cannot. At least that's how it is on my MIAD. Which I love so far :)
You're supposed to pin it.

Ridge_Runner_5
04-01-08, 16:48
What bugged me the most about the grips was they are all plastic...I wanted something comfortable that I wouldnt have trouble holding on to if my hands get sweaty on the range or somethin...The MIAD is nice, the CAA grip was appealing to me, but I went with the Hogue in the end...very comfy, good grip...has everything I want...

blackscot
04-03-08, 06:13
...I wanted something comfortable that I wouldnt have trouble holding on to if my hands get sweaty......went with the Hogue in the end......

If you want maximum tackiness, Hogue is probably one of the best out there.

Although I think the MIAD has about the best texturing I've found, rubber will probably always feel more tacky than any kind of plastic, whatever texturing it has.

TBomb
04-03-08, 08:29
You're supposed to pin it.

I think the pin is there for reassurance. The backstrap locks into place by design. Either way, you can remove then roll pin and still remove the backstrap with the grip on the gun.

WS6
04-03-08, 11:14
same here.

i actually love the feel of it,like it was custom made for my hand.

but the plug/cap is a PITA.

probably order a MIAD tonight...with the bolt storage.

The plug in mine has never come out, or even begun to work loose. You are putting it in right, correct? It can be a PITA to figure out which way is foreward, but once done, I have never had any issues with it.

Ridge_Runner_5
04-03-08, 11:37
Ive heard from a Magpul dealer I go to quite often that Magpul is going to release a rubberized MIAD pretty soon...

Shihan
04-03-08, 11:39
Ive heard from a Magpul dealer I go to quite often that Magpul is going to release a rubberized MIAD pretty soon...

Check the 2008 Magpul catalog.

RojasTKD
04-03-08, 12:17
I just got some MIAD grips to replace my Ergo grips.

I like the look of the MAID grip on the gun but do find the ergos a bit more comfortable. Till keeping the Magpuls though, I may just need to get used to the change.

Jerm
04-03-08, 12:34
The plug in mine has never come out, or even begun to work loose. You are putting it in right, correct? It can be a PITA to figure out which way is foreward, but once done, I have never had any issues with it.

yeah,ive played with it alot trying to get it to stay.it seems to work out faster when shooting 5.56 loads than with .223(although i may be imagining that).

ive heard from quite a few others that have had the same issue.

im sure i could work out a pretty easy fix...but the MIAD will fit a bolt/pin and match my CTR anyway though.:D

NickB
04-03-08, 13:16

The rubberized grip we're releasing isn't a MIAD - it's called the MOE+ Grip. It's the same size as a MIAD with the B2 backstrap and A1 frontstrap (no finger nub), but does not have interchangeable backstraps. It uses the same grip cores as the MIAD.

Raiden
04-09-08, 01:57
I don't remember much about the USGI grip, and Tango Down is too small for me. My LMT lower came with an Ergo grip installed.

I'd have to say MIAD all the way. Except for the selector detent spring hole being a bit too deep on my lower (remedied with a bit of old stick eraser placed at the bottom of the hole), it's fabulous.

cobra90gt
04-09-08, 03:09
One more for the MIAD crowd.

Ditto.

blackscot
04-09-08, 06:37
......MIAD all the way. Except for the selector detent spring hole being a bit too deep on my lower (remedied with a bit of old stick eraser placed at the bottom of the hole).......

I noticed that also. Makes the selector lever too soft. I'll use your trick -- thanks. ;)