PDA

View Full Version : AR build walkthrough?

goldmatch45
03-23-08, 21:40
Hello all. This is my first post and I would like to say this is a great site. I'm reading a lot. I did try to search the forum before I posted this question but had no luck with that. I think I want to build up an AR or really get the parts and have a smith put them all together. I was wondering if there is a thread that will give me step by step on what parts I need to get and what to look for in each part. There is no need to rewrite this info if the thread is out there I just could not find it. I know I have some choices to make and some items are must haves. I'm thinking of a mid to carbine length with iron sites, a handle top and a light. I may put a laser on it but I'm not sure about that. that's about all I know at this point. any input with pros or cons of what I mentioned so far would be great. Thanks for all the help.
Dan

MCASSgt New River
03-23-08, 21:45
All you would, could and don't want to know is probably listed here.

http://www.ar15.com/content/

As for if it's a good idea thats up to you. It's not hard to put one together if you can follow directions and have access to most common tools and dont mind purchasing 1-2 that are specific for AR building. I've build one and have another that I'm currently piecing together.

MCASgt New River

goldmatch45
03-23-08, 21:53
I knew I had seen this
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
info before. I have a shop with plenty of hand tools so I may decide to DYI. I'm still open to any input. thanks

Parabellum9x19mm
03-23-08, 23:05
assemble a stripped lower yourself and then buy a high quality upper. i think that's the easiest way to go, especially with the number of configurations manufacturers offer.

C4IGrant
03-24-08, 08:22
Hello all. This is my first post and I would like to say this is a great site. I'm reading a lot. I did try to search the forum before I posted this question but had no luck with that. I think I want to build up an AR or really get the parts and have a smith put them all together. I was wondering if there is a thread that will give me step by step on what parts I need to get and what to look for in each part. There is no need to rewrite this info if the thread is out there I just could not find it. I know I have some choices to make and some items are must haves. I'm thinking of a mid to carbine length with iron sites, a handle top and a light. I may put a laser on it but I'm not sure about that. that's about all I know at this point. any input with pros or cons of what I mentioned so far would be great. Thanks for all the help.
Dan

Dan,

Unless you are going to be building a lot of AR's, buying the tools and items needed to build an AR do not make much sense.

C4

Eric
03-24-08, 09:25
Dan,

Unless you are going to be building a lot of AR's, buying the tools and items needed to build an AR do not make much sense.

C4 True. However, buying a complete upper and later adding a complete lower (or the other way around) is a decent option.

markm
03-24-08, 09:31
I always recommend that a new guy buy and assembled gun or at least assembled halves. Learn the weapon before you start building them is my logic.

People have come on this site and TOS posting silly, common sense mistakes that they've made when trying to build their first gun. Stuff that would have been easily avoided if they spent just a few weeks shooting and learning a little about the platform.

C4IGrant
03-24-08, 10:12
True. However, buying a complete upper and later adding a complete lower (or the other way around) is a decent option.

For sure, but you do not need any tools to push two pins in.

C4

goldmatch45
03-24-08, 11:32
thanks for all the input so far. I don't want to buy a bunch of tools that are just for the AR. + I don't want to shoot something I put together with my limited knowledge, so I will have a smith put it together unless I go the upper and lower route. I still may buy one already set up. I'm just not sure yet. Please keep the comments coming

Spodeley
03-24-08, 16:02
My first one (lower build) a friend - a machinist/gunsmith - who had done many before helped me.
This time (over the weekend) I did it myself mostly following this:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569877
I just used a plastic-head hammer, two different punches from Tru-Value (a 3/32" and a 5/32"), and a supporting piece of 5/16" plywood...
I'd say the greatest mental difficulty was installing the detent pins and springs, while the physical trouble was provided by the trigger pins.

I still need to stake the carbine stock but I have good guidance here: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6994

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Spodeley/Sportsman/Noveske/DSC02460_800.jpg

variablebinary
03-24-08, 16:09
Buy a complete upper that is properly QC'ed and proofed

Buy an up to spec BCG in terms of staking and proofing (BCM carrier and Bolt are a good starting point)

Buy a complete lower...

Push two pins in...

Done

You've built an AR15 that is better 80% than what is sold on dealers shelves.

Failure2Stop
03-24-08, 16:16
I always recommend that a new guy buy an assembled gun or at least assembled halves. Learn the weapon before you start building them is my logic.

People have come on this site and TOS posting silly, common sense mistakes that they've made when trying to build their first gun. Stuff that would have been easily avoided if they spent just a few weeks shooting and learning a little about the platform.

Sound logic. Buying all the parts and paying a gunsmith to assemble them will probably not save you much money, and could still have issues. Reputable manufacturers (and even some others) will fix a weapon with function issues, for free.

markm
03-24-08, 16:24
Sound logic. Buying all the parts and paying a gunsmith to assemble them will probably not save you much money, and could still have issues. Reputable manufacturers (and even some others) will fix a weapon with function issues, for free.

If you build one with someone who has done it before, you'd be fine. But brand new AR guys with no one to help them are better off buying something assembled.

My first AR lower was built by Ken at S.A.W. back in 97 or 98. I just paid for it, and he put it together real quick.

Spodeley
03-24-08, 17:31
I agree with Demigod.
The way some springs and things tuck one into the other and hide, it is not easily apparent how or why a thing is the way it is, or how it got there - and that's just for a lower.

goldmatch45
03-24-08, 17:35
Buy a complete upper that is properly QC'ed and proofed

Buy an up to spec BCG in terms of staking and proofing (BCM carrier and Bolt are a good starting point)

Buy a complete lower...

Push two pins in...

Done

You've built an AR15 that is better 80% than what is sold on dealers shelves.
would the upper come with a BCG that I would need to chang it out? Where should I start shopping for the upper and lowers? will I need to buy the 2 pins? thanks folks

goldmatch45
03-24-08, 17:38
BTW I'm a 1911 guy and it's hard to find what you want off the shelf so that's why I'm thinking of going this route. I just want to get the most bang for my $

variablebinary
03-24-08, 17:43
would the upper come with a BCG that I would need to chang it out? Where should I start shopping for the upper and lowers? will I need to buy the 2 pins? thanks folks

Pins are on the lower. No need to worry about that unless you get the lower stripped.

For uppers...some come with BCG's some dont. I buy my BCG seperate because I want certain standards in place.

I like LMT for carbine gas, and Sabre for Middy.

Where to begin for uppers:

Bravo Company USA
Rainer Arms
JTAC
Global Tactical/Dennys
G&R Tactical
Lanworldinc

Any one of those companies above will treat you well. Check G&R especially for LMT uppers. Trust me on this one.

For lowers try the above companies as well. Though I usually shop local for lowers because I am lazy and hate the FFL hassle

goldmatch45
03-27-08, 02:52
I decided to go with a prebuilt Smith & Wesson. Now I need some range time and some training
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/Goldmatch45/DSCN2844.jpg

bigsarg99
03-27-08, 05:42
Now its time to build that thing into a highspeed fighting gun:D Once you get comfortable with the thing ie..board, maybe then you could try your hand at building the next one yourself. Its always fun when you put a gun together yourself and it goes boom correctly. By building them myself and learning every piece in the gun I learned more about different types of malfunctions that could arrise and how to quickly correct them, which can be helpful when at a course or just out shooting on the range. Good looking piece you picked up though!

goldmatch45
03-27-08, 11:58
Now its time to build that thing into a highspeed fighting gun:D

I plan to get some good training. I think that will be my best shot at turning it into a highspeed fighter. I may do a build of my own down the line. thanks for the help so far