PDA

View Full Version : Pastor Warren's son bought unregistered gun on internet to kill himself with

chadbag
04-12-13, 01:40
I found this interesting.

As has been in the news recently, Pastor Rick Warren's son committed suicide with a firearm. Rick Warren is pastor of a large evangelical Christian church in California and has hosted "a debate" in the past between McCain and Obama IIRC. Anyway, his son had some mental illness issues and recently committed suicide.

This article claims the gun was an illegal, unregistered (this is in Kali) gun bought directly on the internet.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=18936312&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%2Fi%3Fpz%3D1%26cf%3Dall%26ned%3Dus%26ict%3Dimsp

----

Armati
04-12-13, 01:51
How are these people buying guns over the internet? Because I want to place an order.

chadbag
04-12-13, 01:56
How are these people buying guns over the internet? Because I want to place an order.

You're obviously not looking in the right places. :p

I would suspect craigslist or places like that for the "scratched off serial number" direct to your door illegal guns.

I wouldn't have a clue myself where to look. But it is interesting. This will most likely be brought up with the current legislation being considered. Not that it would have made any difference in this case. It is already illegal to do most of what was done with this handgun.

---

Iraqgunz
04-12-13, 02:06
Correct. There is no such thing as a private sale in California. All sales must be conducted via a dealer.

You're obviously not looking in the right places. :p

I would suspect craigslist or places like that for the "scratched off serial number" direct to your door illegal guns.

I wouldn't have a clue myself where to look. But it is interesting. This will most likely be brought up with the current legislation being considered. Not that it would have made any difference in this case. It is already illegal to do most of what was done with this handgun.

---

rojocorsa
04-12-13, 02:34
Correct. There is no such thing as a private sale in California. All sales must be conducted via a dealer.

C&R long guns are currently exempt. C&R pistols, you still need an FFL.

The long gun exemption will be void starting 2/2014. Also, we will have long gun registration around that same time, IIRC.

jpmuscle
04-12-13, 02:43

Must be some of that Dark net stuff I keep hearing about.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-12-13, 06:57
I can go buy a gun from "James" on Goodman St right now, Next time I am there I will ask him if he has considered a website to boost his sales.

austinN4
04-12-13, 07:10
How are these people buying guns over the internet?
I have been wondering the same thing. Any FFL will only ship to another FFL. So that leaves private sales.

I find it hard to believe a buyer would send off money in hopes the seller sent the gun. And I find it hard to believe a seller would ship a gun to a buyer with getting paid first. Not impossible, I guess, but really, really hard to believe.

So that leaves FTF sales that started with a listing somewhere on the internet. In Texas, we have Texas Gun Buyer, which is a listing of WTS and WTB firearms. But there is no actual internet sale as the deal is consumated FTF.

It seems very disingenuous to me for the press to call this an internet sale, but then I can't depend on the press for accuracy in their reporting anyway. Someone knowledgable in the press needs to call them on this.

Spiffums
04-12-13, 07:16
The whole background checks for guns bought on the internet.....really burns my ass! They make it sound like you give a vendor your CC# and they just mail you a new uzi to your door.

It is just for sale ads on the internet just like the back pages of the newspapers of days gone by.

Ned Christiansen
04-12-13, 07:36
Ban the internet. It's so obvious.

Failure2Stop
04-12-13, 08:24
Ban the internet. It's so obvious.

Boom.
The only better answer is to ban free-will.

austinN4
04-12-13, 08:31
Paying more attention to the news reports this morning, I see that the information source quoted is the father, Rick Warren, who is claiming it was bought on the Internet.

Artos
04-12-13, 09:38
This is a creepy story all the way around...there were folks cheering in streets of his death just cuz they hated his dad. Saw it when Thacher died too.

Hard for me to grasp the visceral hate & loss of decency over the fact he could aquire a gun. Sure are lots of turds in the world.

This cartoon always hit a home run with me...

Sam
04-12-13, 11:58
Since the article included in the link stated that the gun used in the suicide has its serial numbers scratched off, we can safely assume that the whole transaction was illegal.

On a side note, the pastor Rick Warren inspired a Georgia female to clean up her act and also talked her way out of a hostage situation. A few years ago, a criminal escaped from the temporary lock up at the court house in the city of Atlanta. He overpowered a 50 + year old grandmother/sheriff deputy, took her gun and went on a murder spree. He killed the presiding judge in his trial and his court clerk. On the way out of the court house, he killed a sheriff deputy. He escaped north a few miles from the city and stumbled on an off duty ICE agent who was renovating his house. He killed the ICE special agent and stole a car to continue his trip to the northern suburb. He kidnapped the female and held her hostage. She was a former drug addict herself but supposedly went clean due to finding God and Rick Warren's book. She convinced him to let her go and give himself up. That was the first time that I heard of Rick Warren. I remember that 24 hour period well, all the news were broadcasting the manhunt for the escape killer and cops were all over town looking for the guy.

Voodoo_Man
04-12-13, 12:38
Boom.
The only better answer is to ban free-will.

Ban Humanity.

:D

SteveS
04-17-13, 23:49
Suicide is always better when the gun is properly registered. TV watching people are just plain dumb.

NWPilgrim
04-17-13, 23:55
It must not have been a gun but something else. Maybe a sparrow or shrubbery. Anyone knows that when background checks are mandatory it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy a gun illegally. Can't happen.

markm
04-18-13, 08:17
At least cuckoo bird only harmed himself. :confused:

jpmuscle
04-18-13, 10:30
At least cuckoo bird only harmed himself. :confused:

Anyone else find it peculiar that this is being sold as that he went through all of this trouble to obtain a illegal firearm only to off himself?

austinN4
04-18-13, 10:36
Anyone else find it peculiar that this is being sold as that he went through all of this trouble to obtain a illegal firearm only to off himself?
Maybe he would not have passed a background check?

markm
04-18-13, 10:40

:eek:

No doubt. Gee. Background checks don't work??? Who'd have guessed???

jpmuscle
04-18-13, 10:44

Maybe but my line of thinking was that if someone is hell bent on killing themselves for them to go through the trouble of obtaining a firearm to do it when there are other expedient ways to achieve the same end result is unlikely.

He didn't just sit there one day and think jeez, I want to kill myself but I can't pass a background check to buy a gun legally to do it. He could have chose to overdose, jump off a bridge, or walk into traffic or whatever. Just strikes me as odd, even for a mentally vulnerable person.

wahoo95
04-18-13, 11:02

No surprise really. Guy just wanted a gun and the fact is finding a gun thru illegal means is about as easy as finding your illegal drug of choice without all the hassle of going thru the legal process. And that's why the whole concept of more laws or processes to make acquiring them is pointless.

austinN4
04-18-13, 11:08
Maybe but my line of thinking was that if someone is hell bent on killing themselves for them to go through the trouble of obtaining a firearm to do it when there are other expedient ways to achieve the same end result is unlikely.
You are ignoring the fact that most suicides are statements of some sort, and what better statement to make then to leave a mess for someone to clean up? Suicide by gun is messy!