PDA

View Full Version : Richard Burr & Kay Hagan Betray NC

Jack_Bauer
04-12-13, 08:51
With both of their yea votes in favor of S.649 yesterday Richard Burr & Kay Hagan betrayed all North Carolinians & Americas. I had emailed Senator Burr back in January to urge his support for our Second Amendment rights and not to support any gun control measures being discussed. Below is the main part of the letter he wrote back to me. By voting yea he goes against the letter he sent me.

"I think that violence such as this also raises serious questions about the values promoted by our society and culture. Does the entertainment industry too casually celebrate depictions of violence on television, in movies, and in music without considering the message that these frequent and graphic depictions send to our youth? Do video games promote social isolation and violent behavior, or can they desensitize impressionable young people to the effects for the real-world violence? Are we doing anything to promote fatherhood and positive role models to our children, especially young boys? None of these questions have simple answers.

Unfortunately, rather than a serious, thoughtful investigation of these difficult, complex issues, the conversation in the media and elsewhere seems to be focused almost entirely on one approach: further restrictions on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. As a result, I fear that a knee jerk reaction to this tragedy that focuses solely on guns will only serve to give Americans a false sense of security about public safety, and our children will not be any safer from those who wish to do them harm. That's why I do not believe that many, if not most of the gun proposals under discussion are the answer to this issue, especially since none of them would have prevented this tragedy from happening.

You can be certain I will Keep your views in mind as Congress debates this issues."

North Carolinians Please contact Senator Burr and Hagan and express your displeasure with their support of S.649 and urge them to vote against it with what ever amendments are placed on it.

Richard Burr
Washington, DC - Phone: (202) 224-315
Email -http://www.burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

Kay Hagan
Washington, D.C. - Phone (202) 224-6342
Email - http://www.hagan.senate.gov/contact/