PDA

View Full Version : Check it or SHIP it....what would you do.

BCmJUnKie
04-12-13, 15:04
Im leaving to Fla. in 3 weeks. Trying to decide if I wanna ship my rifles to myself...or check them on the plane.

I have a Pelican case so either way they will be locked in.

Looking for some ideas. Thanks

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-12-13, 15:10
I've flown thru Denver more than a few times with handguns in checked luggage, no problems.

Baggage handlers or UPS guys- I've known people that have worked at both jobs and I don't know which one is more scary to ship stuff.....

Failure2Stop
04-12-13, 15:15
I have seen a lot more issues with sensitive material being shipped than flying with you.
Not saying it doesn't happen (I was involved in a rather disconcerting incident with an airline, though there was no loss involved), but not with the frequency of other methods.

Double locked with NON-TSA locks and with no "hey, there's a gun inside me" stickers, it's pretty secure. Also is not as big of a hassle as most folks fear as long as you know the regulations.

04-12-13, 15:16
I'd check them. I've flown multiple times with handguns and rifles without an issue. Just follow the rules and be prepared to explain them to airline personnel and/or TSA. I always carry a print out of the airline's and TSA's rules for extra measure.

BCmJUnKie
04-12-13, 15:20
Roger that.

It is kinda scary either way. Its not too big of a deal when you order from BCM or Noveske cause its not yours yet lol.

My case has no stickers, I prefer it to be discreet. I also dont like the thought of all my "Eggs in one basket".

Mjolnir
04-12-13, 16:08
I have seen a lot more issues with sensitive material being shipped than flying with you.
Not saying it doesn't happen (I was involved in a rather disconcerting incident with an airline, though there was no loss involved), but not with the frequency of other methods.

Double locked with NON-TSA locks and with no "hey, there's a gun inside me" stickers, it's pretty secure. Also is not as big of a hassle as most folks fear as long as you know the regulations.

No way to disguise a Pelican case...

fixit69
04-12-13, 16:20
Just check it and lock it and document it.

jpmuscle
04-12-13, 17:08
Just check it and lock it and document it.

I would assume time stamped photos would be appropriate as well no?

fixit69
04-12-13, 17:09
Any and all documentation. Total agreement

TehLlama
04-14-13, 23:01

This, pretty much. Once you know the procedure, it's not intimidating at all, and I do see why photogs or others with high end gear too large to bring in the cabin would consider adding a started pistol to warrant the valet TSA search.

chadbag
04-14-13, 23:34
My case has no stickers, I prefer it to be discreet.

I think he meant don't let them put the "steal me, I'm a gun" tags on the outside. Some gate people still want to do that. They go on the inside.

And in case normal stickers were meant, yes, good, go discrete. (For normal use, I use guitar cases to transport rifles -- obviously harder to use on an airplane unless you have expensive hard guitar cases).

It's been a while since I've flown with firearms, but it is really not all that hard.

----

jpmuscle
04-14-13, 23:39
Ive seen a few cases guys have done up with logos on the outside that have said "SURVEYORS EQUIP" or the similar. Something totally innocuous.

interfan
04-15-13, 01:15
The big benefit with shipping is that you can easily insure it. UPS pays claims if something is missing and it is insured. You may want to use today's market values for the values. It does cost a little more and can get expensive, but it does make sense to mitigate risk. You can also put a box around your peilican case so it isn't looking like a gun case. FedEx seems to have a better record than UPS on gun thefts.

If anything is lost or pilfered by the airlines, they will find every excuse not to pay any claims or will lowball you at best. Airlines aren't known for being very responsible for anything.

jpmuscle
04-15-13, 01:57
The big benefit with shipping is that you can easily insure it. UPS pays claims if something is missing and it is insured. You may want to use today's market values for the values. It does cost a little more and can get expensive, but it does make sense to mitigate risk. You can also put a box around your peilican case so it isn't looking like a gun case. FedEx seems to have a better record than UPS on gun thefts.

If anything is lost or pilfered by the airlines, they will find every excuse not to pay any claims or will lowball you at best. Airlines aren't known for being very responsible for anything.

I had a colt 1911 government model shipped 3 or 4 years ago via UPS and somewhere between Ohio and Texas it got swiped. Like someone wasn't going to notice a 3lb box weighing next to nothing at some point..

Iraqgunz
04-15-13, 02:58
I have flown a few times in the last few weeks with a carbine and handgun and have not had any issues. With one small exception. In any case I declared them, locked them in a Pelican and that's it.

pilotguyo540
04-15-13, 07:15
Check them!

I do it 3 times a week. It's not scary.

Avoid tight connections and give yourself a little extra time. Every airport has its own procedures. Denver takes a while, most others are very fast. San Antonio is peculiar about quality cases.

I have had my bags show up late due to very tight connections combined with delays on the first flight.

I have never brought a copy of the regs with me. If they are going to be a douche, your paper probably isn't going to help much. Other than having to buy a case from the jet blue counter one time (San Antonio) I have never had a run in with TSA on this.

They do some braindead things occasionally, but remember that they are only bureaucrats. Smile as you roll your eyes and you will be fine.

munch520
04-15-13, 08:58
Im leaving to Fla. in 3 weeks. Trying to decide if I wanna ship my rifles to myself...or check them on the plane.

I have a Pelican case so either way they will be locked in.

Looking for some ideas. Thanks

What airline are you flying? Direct? Connecting flights through where?

Where are you going in FL? I'll be there then too (Naples).

Kchen986
04-15-13, 09:49
Pelican Hard case, a nice padlock, and declare it at check in, you should be good to go. I've flown many times with firearms like that without issue.

BCmJUnKie
04-15-13, 09:55
What airline are you flying? Direct? Connecting flights through where?

Where are you going in FL? I'll be there then too (Naples).

I believe it's AA. And no, I am swapping planes at Dallas. That's why I'm asking about shipping lol.

I will be back home in Brevard. Cocoa beach/Merritt island.

munch520
04-15-13, 13:24
I believe it's AA. And no, I am swapping planes at Dallas. That's why I'm asking about shipping lol.

I will be back home in Brevard. Cocoa beach/Merritt island.

I'd fly with it.

I avoid Hatsfield-Jackson (Atlanta), LAX, OAK, JFK, etc when traveling with guns. But have had good luck with all the TX airports.

Noodles
04-15-13, 19:43
... Last time I flew with a handgun and silencer, they lost my bag :)

Got it back the next day, and I'd probably still check it again. But shit does happen.