PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MKIII or 22/45 ?

steelerfan88
04-12-13, 16:24
what would you pick and why ?

cougar_guy04
04-12-13, 16:35
Personal opinion:
Ruger 22/45 Lite (http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html)

Why:

Already has a Tac Sol-esque upper with threaded barrel
1911 Ergonomics
Aluminum upper takes a little weight off for new shooters (8-10oz).
Replaceable grip panels for a little extra customization
As mentioned, the threaded barrel, so you're already good to go if a can is in your future.

Either way you get Ruger reliability. A gun club I was involved with at one point had a 22/45 and a Mark II that would shoot 1-2k in a day without any trouble whatsoever . . . except for the cussing and swearing that was involved with taking them apart for cleaning.

dsa
04-12-13, 16:40
+1 on the 22/45 Lite

steelerfan88
04-12-13, 16:46
+1 on the 22/45 Lite

Yes...the lite does look like a nice route to take !

Redstate
04-12-13, 19:22
Depends on your use. I have a 22/45/ MKII and a MKIII Standard. they are both completely reliable. I use the 22/45/ for Steel Challenge and the MKIII for general range use. I think i like my MKIII better due to the looks and feel of the metal frame. Either is a good choice.

bigbang
04-12-13, 19:33
Ruger MKIII or 22/45 ? what would you pick and why ?There are many sub-models of each of those. It depends on what you expect to do with the pistol as each individual sub-model has different characteristics.

I own a stainless Ruger MkII Govt w/a 6-7/8" bull barrel and I use it for rimfire bullseye, small game, varmint control. It does not have a threaded barrel. These have a sharply raked grip angle.

I also own a 22/45 that does have a threaded barrel and it is one of the hosts for my can. It also comes with picatinny rails. I use it for night excursions with a red dot and TLR1 for pesky night critters. It is a lot lighter than my bull barrel MkII but with practice there's no reason one couldn't also use it for RF BE. These have a grip angle similar to a 1911.

MAUSER202
04-12-13, 19:45
I had a 22/45 and have a MK III target with the slab sides. I like the MK III better because of the ergo's and the steel frame. It is nice looking with the stainless and rosewood grips and very accurate too.

They are both great choices, it just boils down to what feels best in your hand and aesthetics.

Every range I have ever been to that has rentals always has a 22/45 and some MK II or III variant for rental, rent them and see what feels best.

steelerfan88
04-12-13, 21:35
I had a 22/45 and have a MK III target with the slab sides. I like the MK III better because of the ergo's and the steel frame. It is nice looking with the stainless and rosewood grips and very accurate too.

They are both great choices, it just boils down to what feels best in your hand and aesthetics.

Every range I have ever been to that has rentals always has a 22/45 and some MK II or III variant for rental, rent them and see what feels best.

I will probably buy both....this way I can't loose !

Biggy
04-12-13, 23:11
As others have said, it really just comes down to ones personal preference on grip frame ergos, weight and looks.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/Picture164_zpsad31ba72.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/Biggy8/media/Picture164_zpsad31ba72.jpg.html)