PDA

View Full Version : Does the military still use corrosive-primer?

plex
04-12-13, 20:15
I have read somewhere else that said, a lot of military using corrosive primer to save cost when practicing in shooting range. Do they still use this type of ammo? If not, when did our troops stop to use that?

I have never been on duty, so kinda expect someone from or close to military answer the question. I also want to thank in advance for your service to this country, as well as answer my question.

William B.
04-12-13, 20:18
Not that I ever saw.

michael word
04-12-13, 21:53
For the US, it ended just after WWII.

kaltesherz
04-13-13, 13:56
For the US, it ended just after WWI.

Not true, we made corrosive primers in all calibers except .30 Carbine until the 50's. .30 Carbine has always been non corrosive due to it's gas operation. I've never seen corrosive ammo in circulation but I did see some 1950's dated .50 overseas. Corrosive ammo would not go over well as our cleaning SOPs do not neutralize corrosive salts.

CaTalystX
04-13-13, 17:21
Not true, we made corrosive primers in all calibers except .30 Carbine until the 50's. .30 Carbine has always been non corrosive due to it's gas operation. I've never seen corrosive ammo in circulation but I did see some 1950's dated .50 overseas. Corrosive ammo would not go over well as our cleaning SOPs do not neutralize corrosive salts.

Maybe he meant just after WWII :)

c3006
04-13-13, 17:27
It's all corrosive enuf to make me go clean my weapon after shooting it.:smile:

polymorpheous
04-13-13, 17:48
It's all corrosive enuf to make me go clean my weapon after shooting it.:smile:

Carbon does not equal corrosive.

kaltesherz
04-13-13, 17:52
Maybe he meant just after WWII :)

Maybe, but he typed World War I and there's a difference of over 30 years. This forum is about spreading knowledge not misinformation so mistakes need to be corrected.

michael word
04-13-13, 19:02
Maybe, but he typed World War I and there's a difference of over 30 years. This forum is about spreading knowledge not misinformation so mistakes need to be corrected.

Correct, I ment WWII. Accidently put WWIII and didnt catch that extra deletion.

CaTalystX
04-13-13, 19:08

I totally get that.

michael word
04-13-13, 20:32
Here is a link to which ammo is non-corrosive since WWII.

http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf

MistWolf
04-13-13, 23:12
Corrosive primers were used because they gave the most reliable ignition

eightmillimeter
04-24-13, 19:16
Corrosive primers were used because they gave the most reliable ignition

...after storage and especially when stored in cool/cold/damp environments. Current era non-corrosive primers have taken care of this.