PDA

View Full Version : Motivation..

J-Dub
04-12-13, 21:34
I try to draw motivation from numerous avenues when it comes to physical fitness.

Greg Plitt who is a freak of nature, Arnold ( i have to overlook his politics), ect, ect....

This vid really got me pumped, as not only do I care about physical fitness, but hunting is a passion of mine. I believe both go hand in hand. 8,000 ft is a reality check for sure. This dude talks the talk and walks the walk, and he's way older than I am.

Be the ultimate predator...

http://vimeo.com/57979916

Where do you draw your daily motivation from?

Smash
04-12-13, 22:06
Hopefully my so called motivation doesn't seem "out there"

The way I have done things for the past few years isn't 100% strict but in my head is for a single reason. To win in a life or death situation. This could be a survival scenario. This could be a life or death scenario involving something like an automobile accident. Ultimately and the main thing that comes to mind is a deadly encounter with other humans.

I'm 27 years old about 5'8 200lbs, very good strength for my weight, I spent about a year and a half training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu(back around 2005-2006) after that trained at an MMA gym for technique and conditioning but not to get into sanctioned fights. Joined the military, and have done quite a bit of firearms training.

All of that leads me to believe I am pretty prepared for most things. Not necessarily survival skills like fishing with plant fibers and distilling water from a hogs stomach lining but just being in good physical condition.

For the motivation for the fitness aspect I explain it to people in terms of situations. I'm 200lbs and have the strength that I have, could I kill a similarly in shape person that weighs 220lbs with my bare hands if he only had his bare hands as well. I would say i may not. However, I would also say with my skill set and physical conditioning I should at least be able to stop him from killing me leading it to a draw.

Could I kill a person that isn't nearly as strong as me and weighs 150lbs? I feel I absolutely could using my strength, weight, and techniques I have learned over the years. Could I stop him from killing me? Yes. Now if there are two of them could I kill them both? Could I stop them both from killing me? These scenario based situations are where you have to decide if what you're doing adds to your survival.

Where am i going with this? I primarily lift weights for strength, I target single muscle groups each day. I don't believe in crossfit and have found that being really strong from powerlifting and bodybuilding workouts will let me beat crossfitters at there own little tests because the weight feels much lighter to me. I run around 1.5miles at a time because I don't believe being a marathon runner will ever help you do anything besides run away which may not always be an option. In running 1.5miles as fast as I can I feel like its a good endurance and cardio builder for the amount of time I feel physical altercations take.

So long story short my motivation comes from trying to ensure I don't end up a murder story on the back page and nor do my friends family and loved ones that I have the proximity and ability to protect. It is not only motivation but direction.

It also drives my firearms training like it does for many here. But that's for another sub forum on here.

ALCOAR
04-12-13, 22:14
People Are Awesome HD/ The Ultimate compilation! Mr.Wild's version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnl4PNtql5A&list=LLTB3veG7IrNTO4LrIo_l-Dw)

PEOPLE ARE AWESOME 2013 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6WRZ8iBQzQ&list=LLTB3veG7IrNTO4LrIo_l-Dw)

NEW ! People Are Awesome 2011 / 2012 - HD (AwesomeHumans 2012) Sick Stuff of 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCiZ4LC9dE)

Magic_Salad0892
04-13-13, 00:22
Why I originally started working out: CDI factor. That's it.

Now: I don't wanna get older, and be all out of shape, and gross. So I'm gonna work out a bit now, so by the time I get old, I won't be fat, and gross. And maybe I can scam a few extra years onto my lifespan.

rli7275
04-13-13, 04:25
I've got five more years to go until retirement. I'm on a Ladder Company that the next oldest guy is 19 years younger. It's more necessity than motivation at this point.

lancepark
04-26-13, 23:46
The best motivation is having a physically fit buddy that will help you maintain your physical body (http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2013/03/13/start-exercising-now/). But motivation is not enough because some factors. We are too busy to care for our selves because of responsibilities on our shoulders. In short, you need to struggle in achieving a well-balanced life.

rojocorsa
04-29-13, 14:20
I draw motivation from SOF operators and their level of fitness.

I am just gonna put it out there, I have a hard-on (so to speak) for the Navy SEALs. I think they're super badass.

If that makes me somewhat of a range commando, whatever. Right now my goal is to get into shape so that I can enlist in the Airforce as a TACP candidate and make it through that. I have some work cut out in front of me. But I need to try it. I don't want to be a loser fatbody.

Smash
04-29-13, 14:26
I draw motivation from SOF operators and their level of fitness.

I am just gonna put it out there, I have a hard-on (so to speak) for the Navy SEALs. I think they're super badass.

If that makes me somewhat of a range commando, whatever. Right now my goal is to get into shape so that I can enlist in the Airforce as a TACP candidate and make it through that. I have some work cut out in front of me. But I need to try it. I don't want to be a loser fatbody.

No shame in that. I'd rather see someone idolize hard ass operators and what they do as opposed to punk b*tches like Dwight Howard.
(I dont hate all athletes, mainly just Lakers and Yankees)

rojocorsa
04-29-13, 16:32
No shame in that. I'd rather see someone idolize hard ass operators and what they do as opposed to punk b*tches like Dwight Howard.

I don't watch sports really. I don't care.

Shit, those dudes in the NFL need oxygen after they run. Please! :suicide2:

Zane1844
04-29-13, 17:15
My motivation for doing MMA was self-defense (and to fight in events) and stay in shape.

I also like to push myself to the breaking point to where I physically am unable to exert more energy and my legs get jello-like.

I also have a fear of walking when I am on a run because my coach caught me one time while he was driving back to the gym. I had to sprint all the way back while he drove slowly and watch me. All in all, I will not walk again. :D

Wrestling mainly is my biggest motivator, I was horrible at wrestling at first and hated it. I did not wrestle in High School, so I had to learn at my gym- everyone has a strong wrestling background there. So getting taken down and beat day in and day out, motivated me to focus on that- and to me the most important- aspect of fighting. It is also the funnest.

obucina
04-29-13, 18:54

the teams to hate! I'm with ya....ok, so I like the Sawx.

My motivation is seeing fat people. Just over a year ago, I was at 227lbs and am 5'11". A better diet and a free copy of Insanity dropped me to 189lbs. I started again after a few months off due to a somewhat oddball knee injury.

rojocorsa
04-30-13, 00:25
Men like him also motivate me.

http://news.yahoo.com/army-amputee-completes-air-assault-school-225232180.html?.tsrc=attmp

QuickStrike
04-30-13, 14:17
Trying to keep consistent with oly lifts in my basement. It sucks when you move from things you are good at/experienced with, to being a complete noob again.

And frankly, lifting in your basement is pretty boring most times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZl86Qg8QY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTyzcEfOURI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=qa8E4-Fx3Ck&NR=1

Done at the elite level, probably the hardest sport IMO. It is said that the Bulgarian athletes used to be under near constant pain, even with massages, "recovery agents", etc.. Not very popular in the US because we eat our own when it comes to PED's, and it's much easier to get into something like football, and get $$$.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDg48VEdiJU

First girl is pretty hot.. :D

reaver22
04-30-13, 15:14
my motivation came from wanting to spend as much time and be around for my wife and kids and not looking like a slob, so I took a picture of me and posted it up and put a note next to it saying this person no longer we are changing and your kids and wife will thank you in for it in 30s years. so I took up Yoga I ride bike with the family and I also do moderate weight training and swim at the local Y with the kids.

anddrivall
06-12-13, 06:34
My motivation is to become smarter and more fit and try to look so great attractive.
Thanks to all.

Vic303
06-12-13, 08:15
Motivation? This rider (http://www.3000milestoacure.com/) is riding to raise funds for brain cancer research as her sister was diagnosed last year with terminal brain cancer.

Difficult event? Try RAAM (http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raamfp.php?N_webcat_id=1). Solo...3000mi in 10 days--no rest days. approx 2x the mileage as the TDF, in half as much time. Oh, and these riders are not sponsored professional cyclists either.

There are 39 solo riders this year. Teams have not started yet. Of the 39, There are 14 riders over the age of 50. If you want to get a clue as to what riding this race (it is a race btw) is like, find a copy of Auerbach's Bicycle Dreams and watch it.

dp13
06-12-13, 10:46
Some of the guys I have trained with and some of my instructors.

On and off I've trained (in order) karate, kung fu, grappling, kickboxing, boxing.

The ones mentioned above are literally world class at what they do.

Seeing that level of talent and being able to hang with them longer than most made me realize the only way to even try to get there is to bust your ass in all aspects of training.

sadmin
06-12-13, 11:17
Mine comes from self-defense and my families offense. My numero uno fear is not effectively being able to protect my wife/daughters. I mean sometimes it keeps me up at night if I have been lazy that week. Im an ectomorph unfortunately and putting on mass isnt easy unless im eating supplements. I want to use what I got to the best of its abilities, and unfortunately it isnt raw power. I had a wild youth so I know I have the mean gene, but guys are bigger and more well trained these days. I miss getting into the Friday night brawl though, so much im considering local MMA just to put pads on and see what I can take these days.

steve--oh
06-15-13, 18:04
Sometimes you just gotta get out there and suck today's dick!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/sr338/IMG_1737_zps39418f16.jpg

steyrm9a19mmfan
06-17-13, 19:12
I am not a leo or special operator but I worked for a lot of years teaching what the government calls "at risk youth". I worked for various what are known as GoCo's (Government owned contractor operated) agencies. I had 3 students who are death row since 2004 and one in jail for 99 years without parole for rape and solicitation of murder of a court official. I also had one student who was both father and uncle to his own son... he was 16 years old. I will let you figure that one out. I learned early on that there were things that I could do to increase my safety. One I kept then and still do now my hair trimmed short, reason being it gives an attacker one less thing to grab on to you to try and gain control. Two be in the best physical shape you can because to those kids the bigger you look the tougher they think you are. I would work out sometime in the gym so those kids could see I took physical fitness seriously. It also helps if they know you can bench press a lot of weight as well. Three never show any fear in front of them even if you are outnumbered. I was locked in a classroom everyday for years with young criminal deviants and never was physically assaulted. They are trying to gain the upper hand and they are looking for someone who is afraid of them so they can get their mojo going. Example I had a male student one time come up to my desk and ask me what would I do if a student took a swing at me? I looked him square in the eye and said " visit him in the hospital and bring some flowers." The guy looked at me and said you can't hit a student!" I then said " well I don't intend to let a student hit me either, they are not paying me to be a punching bag." Days like that provided me my motivation to get to the gym and work out then just as they do now. I have not been an educator for 8 years now. I went into sales and found it to be much less stressful after all no customer has yet threatened to hit me with a folding metal chair.

theblackknight
06-17-13, 21:17
@1:36 "I'm never gonna be that guy who cant pick his buddy up in a burning building and carry him out".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEvmpl37bCQ

SteyrAUG
06-18-13, 03:06
Where do you draw your daily motivation from?

I draw my motivation from the fact that I have been involved with the martial arts most of my life (over 35 years) and it is my intent to be involved with it for the rest of my life for so long as I am able.

It isn't something I do, it is what I am. It is part of my existence like eating and sleeping. Once I removed the goal posts (ie "I will accomplish X by a specified date") motivation became much easier as it is what I prefer to do with my time.

But I am inspired by others, Bruce Lee in my early days. Chan Poi in my later days when I start feeling old. And seeing the likes of Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris and a few other old timers still going strong.

QuickStrike
06-18-13, 13:04
Sometimes you just gotta get out there and suck today's dick!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/sr338/IMG_1737_zps39418f16.jpg

Kewl pic, terrible quote. :D

Anyway, I work out because I would feel terrible without doing it for any real length of time.

Giving it my all in training relieves stress and makes me feel at peace. Like nothing else exists in those moments but me and the weight. Nothing to worry about but the current rep.

Makes me feel content afterwards that real work was done, and it was meaningful work to improve myself and not for someone else's financial gain. A sense of accomplishment if you will.

Almost everything in life is a fight or struggle through my eyes, and it's much harder to accept myself if I just give up than trying and failing.

Once you've given it your all, there is nothing more you can do, and I can deal with that, though I will be searching for ways to overcome the obstacle.

dp13
06-18-13, 15:31
I draw my motivation from the fact that I have been involved with the martial arts most of my life (over 35 years) and it is my intent to be involved with it for the rest of my life for so long as I am able.

It isn't something I do, it is what I am. It is part of my existence like eating and sleeping. Once I removed the goal posts (ie "I will accomplish X by a specified date") motivation became much easier as it is what I prefer to do with my time.

But I am inspired by others, Bruce Lee in my early days. Chan Poi in my later days when I start feeling old. And seeing the likes of Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris and a few other old timers still going strong.

Damn man I've got 20, and you've got two more years in than I've been alive lol.

Did not know superfoot is still around, good to hear.

obucina
06-18-13, 15:56

I had the opportunity to attend one of Super Foot's seminars in '93 and one of Ed Parker's last seminars before he passed away.

SteyrAUG
06-19-13, 01:53
I had the opportunity to attend one of Super Foot's seminars in '93 and one of Ed Parker's last seminars before he passed away.

Bill Wallace was always amazing to me. Watching him in the PKA days actually scoring with things many people can't even do in forms or solo sets was just unreal.