PDA

View Full Version : How Much Money Should I put into a Rock Island?

CmdrSlander
04-12-13, 22:17
I've got a Rock Island that's currently at the smith getting a new trigger and associated trigger job, that'll be about $185 into the little bastard has cost me. While its gone and I anticipate its return I've been thinking about other stuff I could have done to it, I really like the idea of having a custom M1911, and I wonder how foolish it would be to put ~$700 worth of custom work over several years into a lowly Rock Island?

It would be unique and it was my first M1911, so I'm thinking that I should go ahead and do it. Thoughts?

Texas42
04-12-13, 22:35
I'd shoot it a bunch now. And worry about fixing it later. My ria tactical is a lot of fun. I'm leaving it stock for mow. I'll fix what breaks. I was debating about changing the sites and the safety but I'd make sure I like the pistol before pouring tons of money into it.

din
04-13-13, 00:09
one meeeeellion dollars.

seriously, if you like the pistol and having work done to it will make you happy, it isn't foolish at all.

Redstate
04-13-13, 10:12
If you intend to keep the pistol, it probably is worth any customization you make to it. Doubtful that you will recover anywhere near the value of the customization should you ever decide to sell it. Also, you may want to ask your gunsmith what he thinks of the frame and slide insofar as longevity to make a determination of how much to put into it. I have heard that the frame and slide are well made.

I have a Citadel Compact 45 (essentially the same pistol as the RIA Compact, both made by Armscor) that runs great and is definitely a keeper for me. The only modification I plan to make to it is to add an ambi safety because I am left handed. I also might add a tritium front sight to it at some later date. I have no intention of ever selling it. I just hope that it holds up well, and I have no reason to think that it won't.

crazymoose
04-13-13, 12:11
If you intend to keep the pistol, it probably is worth any customization you make to it. Doubtful that you will recover anywhere near the value of the customization should you ever decide to sell it. Also, you may want to ask your gunsmith what he thinks of the frame and slide insofar as longevity to make a determination of how much to put into it. I have heard that the frame and slide are well made.

I have a Citadel Compact 45 (essentially the same pistol as the RIA Compact, both made by Armscor) that runs great and is definitely a keeper for me. The only modification I plan to make to it is to add an ambi safety because I am left handed. I also might add a tritium front sight to it at some later date. I have no intention of ever selling it. I just hope that it holds up well, and I have no reason to think that it won't.

This. If you don't view it as something to sell later, put as much as you want into it.

Arik
04-13-13, 13:10
Im gonna have to go with ZERO. I mean you already have it so do whatever you want but the gun isnt worth much and wont be. Its like putting a spoiler and racing tires on a Corolla. In the end its still just a Corolla.

Before you put more money in it I would take that gun as it is now and put it towards a basic Springfield Armory 1911. Their enhanced A1 models are around $650. You get a stainless (thats all ive seen them in) milspec (no beaver tail and traditional thumb safety) with replaceable 3 dot sights instead of the original iron sights. This already gives you a better basic platform (forged slide & frame) to customize and SA holds their value far better if you ever wish to sell.

SA 1911 is an overall better quality gun for not much more then a RI. I owned both (SA and a Citadel).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RHINOWSO
04-13-13, 13:21
one meeeeellion dollars.

seriously, if you like the pistol and having work done to it will make you happy, it isn't foolish at all.

Just don't dump $800 into a $400 RIA and expect to easily get $1200 out of it, since that's what you have in it...

Redhat
04-13-13, 16:01
...This already gives you a better basic platform (forged slide & frame) to customize and SA holds their value far better if you ever wish to sell...Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Are you sure this is correct concerning both SA and RIA.

Arik
04-13-13, 16:16
Are you sure this is correct concerning both SA and RIA.

Unless something changed recently SA has always been forged. RIA is cast

Redhat
04-13-13, 16:30

Just remembered another recent discussion here about this subject and it seemed to go back and forth.

Not really a big deal to me. Got one to shoot and it's holding up great.

QuickStrike
04-13-13, 18:32
Just remembered another recent discussion here about this subject and it seemed to go back and forth.

Not really a big deal to me. Got one to shoot and it's holding up great.

I'm pretty certain SA frames and slides are forged in Brazil by Imbel. The same folks who make excellent FAL receivers.

OP,

I would go with the SA base gun route also.

HackerF15E
04-13-13, 18:35

RIA has had milled barstock slides since 2007 or so and forged frames ever since switching to the new rollmark (2012).

misanthropist
04-13-13, 18:36
I wouldn't spend money on labour at all. I would spend the money on parts, and put my own time in.

I have a Norinco 1911 that I bought for $500 way back when, with a bunch of mags (now long since dead) and a couple of holsters (one of which is still quite serviceable).

Since then, I've put maybe $200 in to the gun, in the form of WC parts, i.e.:
WC Bulletproof extractor
WC Ejector
WC 6BN safety
WC Trigger

and so on. Every time I order from Brownells I tack on another $25-50 for a new part, and when it arrives, I take an evening and fit it. This way, I go one step at a time, starting with a working pistol, and if anything stops working, I notice right away. I also learn what's involved in fitting each part. I don't notice the expense because it's in tiny amounts over time, and I learn a lot every time I change anything.

In that way I feel you can really justify upgrading a pistol that you'd ordinarily think was too cheap to bother with. You aren't just investing money in to making it a better shooter, you're investing money into your own understanding of the platform. That's worth quite a bit IMO.

But I would not send it to a smith for much if you can avoid it. Then you eat the cost of the expert labour, and learn very little. My plan is to send mine in to a smith at the very end of the project and get a full teardown and review of my work.

IMO that's a lot of value for a $500 pistol and maybe another $3-500 in parts and supplies over a couple of years.

din
04-14-13, 01:14
Just don't dump $800 into a $400 RIA and expect to easily get $1200 out of it, since that's what you have in it...

agreed. any advice was given with the proviso he doesn't anticipate selling it. I know I'd never be able to get the money I have into my springer back, but I will also never get rid of it.

dcs12345
04-14-13, 23:12
STI builds their Spartan pistols on Armscor (markers of RIA) frames and slides. If all you want is to build it for your own personal use, then go for it, but don't expect to get much back if you ever decide to sell it.

nolt
04-15-13, 09:43
if the smith knows 1911s just have them go over it from a reliability standpoint and that's all i'd do.
then shoot it until something breaks.

Texas42
04-15-13, 13:50
Which RIA did you get? the Gi version? or the tactical? Just curious.

W.Watts
04-20-13, 21:05
Ummm, me personally....$0. Although I would never have bought one in the first place.

grendelbane
04-21-13, 09:37
I also own an RIA, and I have done a little work to it. I did this partially to improve appearance and partially to improve performance. I have not regretted the work that I did, but it is mostly my labor, not a lot of $$$ that went into it. Some of the things done could be recovered if economics were a problem.

Part of this was practice, such as the Gun-Kote finish I applied. I have found it is easier to do some thing like that to a cheaper pistol than an expensive gun. If I ever get really brave and have a lot of free time I might even try checkering the frame.

I would avoid sinking a great deal of money into an RIA, though. Better sights, finish, prettier grips is about as far as I would go. I did change the hammer and trigger and firing pin stop, but I already had those parts on hand.

I disagree with those who say that the SA frame is superior to the RIA frame because it is forged. It may well be superior, (not arguing that point), but not because it is forged, rather than cast. A well cast frame is not a bad thing, look at the Caspian's out there. I would rather have a new cast Caspian frame than an unused Colt forged frame made in 1914. The old Colt frame will be forged quite well, but not heat treated. There is more to making a good frame than choosing cast or forged.

CDR_Glock
04-28-13, 08:14
Many people are happy with RIA for the price. It's an entry level pistol and putting money into it will only be for your practical, not financial, benefit. Resale will not allow you to recoup what you put into it. Shoot it a while and then sell it and go into something like a Dan Wesson, Springfield or Colt 1911. Many of your upgrades are standard in those. I like working on trading up.

Unless you're a lefty, I don't see an advantage of an ambidextrous safety.

I have the following, which I acquired used:

Mars Armament T.H.U.G.
Wilson CQB
Ed Brown Special Forces
Guncrafter No Name
Coonan 1911 357 Magnum
Detonics Combat Master

I used to have the following:

Kimber Pro and Ultra Raptor II
Para P14

PA PATRIOT
04-28-13, 09:31
Spend what ever money your comfortable with to make the pistol into what you want.

Your Gun

Your Money

The only one that needs to be happy with the results at the end of the day is you.

T2C
06-06-13, 13:09
Once you start spending money on upgrades for a pistol, don't expect to get all of your money back out of it when you sell it. If you are going to shoot a lot of rounds out of a pistol, then upgrades are well worth the expense.

I view spending money on upgrades like buying a great meal. You do it, because it makes you happy. When you sell a firearm, upgrades are worth what the expensive meal is worth after 24 hours inside your digestive system.

ChrisCross
06-12-13, 13:08
My RIA Tactical was my first handgun. I've only changed out the grips and sent it to my gunsmith for it's 3K checkup (replace anything at all that is a wear item with new). I'll keep shooting it until I can't get it working again.

I've owned/shot quite a few other 1911's (and my dad is really into 1911's) but I'd just say do what you want and enjoy your 1911.

brickboy240
06-14-13, 11:14
I too bought a brand new bone stock Springfield "GI" 1911 with thoughts of modding it and using it as a base gun.

However..8 years later, I have only swapped the grips.

Why? Well the damn thing shoots 100% and actually has never jammed. It hits center mass with a 6-o'clock hold and just flat out runs.

Sure, it was made in Brazil and is chock full of MIM parts but the thing was 100% right out of the damn box. 10 plus years ago...that would be considered a miracle! LOL

So some day I might start modding it but it is hard to go chopping and swapping on a 1911 that just runs.

The Springer WOULD be a better base gun than a Rock Island...but that is just an opinion from one that is wringing out a Springer and has had amazingly good luck with it.

-brickboy240

T2C
06-14-13, 13:29
I just purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 in 9mm to hone my gunsmithing skills. It has acceptable accuracy and will feed anything I run through it, including some reloads that will not feed in other pistols.