PDA

View Full Version : any one carry a S&W 686 2 1/2 in.?

zombiescometh
04-13-13, 07:31
I've been looking for a 357 revolver for awhile now and I found a good deal on a used 686 with 2 1/2 inch barrel. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this gun for concealed carry? And any pros cons of the gun?

aguila327
04-13-13, 09:13
I had one 24 years ago. I just started my law enforcement career and couldn't wait to get my first off duty.

It was an anchor and night fire was an adventure. It breathed fire like a dragon. Sold it and miss it to this day. It's just to heavy for everyday concealed carry. Sure was good looking though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

zombiescometh
04-13-13, 09:16
I had one 24 years ago. I just started my law enforcement career and couldn't wait to get my first off duty.

It was an anchor and night fire was an adventure. It breathed fire like a dragon. Sold it and miss it to this day. It's just to heavy for everyday concealed carry. Sure was good looking though.

How was shooting 357mag out of it?

aguila327
04-13-13, 09:54
The recoils was as expected. Stout but the weight of the weapon made it managable. The 3x3' block of flame coming out of the muzzle was somewhat impressive. (I may be exaggerating a little, but it was pretty impressive to this rookies eyes.)

If I remember correctly the load was 125 winchester hp's

MCS
04-13-13, 10:15
I had a buddy that carried one for a few weeks. Hell of a fun one to shoot, and it did indeed breath fire. Recoil sharp, but manageable. He quit carrying it because it was a boat anchor on his hip

Deputy Dan
04-13-13, 20:00
One down side to the sub 3" barrel is that you don't get a full length ejector rod... the spent cases are not completely removed from the charge holes. It might be a mostly academic problem, but the potential is there to have a case hang up in a charge hole, delaying a reload.

Frailer
04-13-13, 21:38
...It's just to heavy for everyday concealed carry. Sure was good looking though...

That sums up my opinion pretty well. Gorgeous gun, but it's just a bit too heavy to wear very long.

titsonritz
04-13-13, 22:29
I carried a 3” 686 for a while, like already said nice piece but a freakin' tank, still carry is doable.

I really like the 3” 65 & 66.

MadDog
04-14-13, 20:44
Too heavy for daily carry according to whom? You should be the judge of what is too heavy and what is not. If you are use to a full size, all steel 1911 then no it shouldn't be a problem but if your daily carry is a sub-compact Glock, then yes it probably is too much for you. I quite often CCW a 2.5" Ruger Alaskan 44 mag stoked with 44 Specials but then again I can CCW a pair of 2.5" Colt Pythons in a New York Reload Holster all day long and not be bothered.

MadDog

gtmtnbiker98
04-15-13, 05:52
For daily carry, the Mod. 60 with it's 2.1" barrel is a better option.

Frailer
04-15-13, 21:38
Too heavy for daily carry according to whom? You should be the judge of what is too heavy and what is not.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this, but the OP asked for opinions.

For *me* it's too heavy (and bulky) for what it is. My 640-1 fulfills the same purpose but weighs roughly a pound less.

The L-frame was designed to be a service revolver, and in that capacity it has few equals. But for concealed carry there are better options.

Again, this is merely my opinion.

usmcgrunt
04-15-13, 21:52
When I was in the USMC a couple of my buddies bought this exact revolver and loved it! Not sure if they carried it much but they loved to shoot it! One of them just recently sold his, almost 25 years later!

Myself I carry a Model 19-4 with a 2.5 inch barrel in my Go Bag! Is it heavy..Yes! Do I carry it often...No! But I love it, its my second one, like an idiot I sold my first one and I got lucky a guy I knew was letting this one go! Although your looking at a difference of 10 oz give or take, with the heavier being the 686! As long as you get a well made holster it shouldnt be a problem once you get use to it!

Yes I'd buy and carry but mostly I'd just love to have one in my stable!

Good Luck!

Grunt Out!

TiroFijo
04-16-13, 08:09
For ME is a boat anchor and flame thrower. Recoil is OK, accuracy is good, looks good and mean.

The 586/686 really shine in 4" and 6" barrel lenghts.

If you want a relatively small 357 revolver, the K frame 3" are hard to beat (but difficult to find). The pre-lock M13/M65 are great.

akrapovic
04-16-13, 15:58
I did for a little bit. Like stated, it was a boat anchor. It was a 586l perf center so a little heavier.

Denali
04-22-13, 22:58
I've been looking for a 357 revolver for awhile now and I found a good deal on a used 686 with 2 1/2 inch barrel. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this gun for concealed carry? And any pros cons of the gun?

I carry a 3" 686 frequently, I also carry a 2.5" 66 from time to time. The 686 with 3" barrel is quite comfortable to conceal, has the best trigger of any double action revolver currently in production, and has very good pointing characteristics. I carry the 686 in a Galco vertical shoulder rig, or a belt scabbard.

Denali
04-22-13, 23:02
I really like the 3” 65 & 66.

I hate S&W for dropping them from the line, the 66 was always a rare item., the Ladysmith(65)was a neat, easily carried item with superb pointing characteristics.

If S&W ever resurrects them, I'll be buying two of each...

ccosby
04-22-13, 23:26
For ME is a boat anchor and flame thrower. Recoil is OK, accuracy is good, looks good and mean.

The 586/686 really shine in 4" and 6" barrel lenghts.

If you want a relatively small 357 revolver, the K frame 3" are hard to beat (but difficult to find). The pre-lock M13/M65 are great.

Yea I was going to say the 4 to 6 inch length of the 586/686 is really nice. The frame is kinda big for a smaller barrel to me personally. For carry I'd prob look at one of their smaller framed options personally.

Guess it comes down to how you want to carry it though. The 686 is a very nice gun.

GLShooter
04-27-13, 19:21
I've carried mine at times. Never thought much about it as it rode well for me. I'm kind of skinny but it was manageable. It does duty as a front door gun most of the time.

Mine is pretty accurate. 3 pound coffee can lids at 50 yards were used to sight it in and I managed 5/6 back to back. Plenty good for arms length stuff if it is ever needed. :p I've shot it in a few belly gun matches so am confident in handling it.

Greg

SquarePizza
04-28-13, 21:41
I carry an unflutted 686+ 3inch.

Like the others have said, it is a boat anchor, at something like 42 ounces unloaded. Add 7 shots of 158 grain and that ain't helping your load any.

Therefore, holster and belt selection are key. Try to minimize its ability to shift or move and you will find yourself being a lot more comfy. You will never forget you have it on (as opposed to carrying my dick special, which I can forget about), but if you stick with carrying it you will get used to it after a week or so.

markyboy57
05-12-13, 21:15
I carry a 686+ in 2.5" and 3", often. Get a good holster and the weight
will not be an issue. I like to carry IWB with a Milt Sparks versamax II.
I routinely carry for 8 hours or more and only notice the weight when taking off my pants.

Fly'nBuff
05-12-13, 21:52
The 3" Model 65 really shines in this department. Full length ejector rod, all stainless steel construction, six shots, all wrapped up in a K-Frame package. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for the L-Frame, but for carry, make mine a K or J.

strambo
05-17-13, 21:34
I don't carry it, but I bought a 386 "Nightguard" model for my wife (she likes "black" revolvers). Anyway, it holds 7 rds, weighs a tad over 24 oz, and has a tritium front sight with a wide-notch combat rear sight. We haven't put 357s through it, but recoil with the 135g +P Gold Dots is cake. Too bad the model is dis-continued, but maybe someone will let theirs go!

I love that revolver and if I were to carry a revo-that would be it, weighs less than my P226 that I carry all the time.

Mr. Greene
05-18-13, 20:40
had a 3" 686 and loved everything about it except the wieght of carrying it. if the price is right and you like a heavy gun go for it.