PDA

View Full Version : Quick detach AR trigger guards.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 09:45
My search for a roll pin less, detent retained, trigger guard is finally over.

http://deadonarmsllc.com/sale.html

If the newbs would just start using these we would no longer have to hear about broken trigger guard ears, or see the grip of shame attached to another AR.

gman622
04-14-13, 09:59
Very cool indeed. :cool:

yellow50
04-14-13, 10:04
So is it just held entirely by detents?

sparky-kb
04-14-13, 10:04
If the newbs would just start using these we would no longer have to hear about broken trigger guard ears, or see the grip of shame attached to another AR.

What is the grip of shame?

yellow50
04-14-13, 10:06
I believe he is talking about a stark grip or similar where the grip has a trigger guard incorporated.

masakari
04-14-13, 10:19
I'll bet it rattles. I would like to see a review with pictures though.

Beachboy
04-14-13, 10:20
Nice, but gotta ask, why? In 30 years of M-16 / AR-15 use and ownership I've never had a problem with a trigger guard, either stock folding or aftermarket fixed, like Magpul.

masakari
04-14-13, 10:26
Nice, but gotta ask, why? In 30 years of M-16 / AR-15 use and ownership I've never had a problem with a trigger guard, either stock folding or aftermarket fixed, like Magpul.

I've done a lot of trigger guard swapping in the last few days and I would have really loved it honestly. But again, I just feel like it wouldn't be that stable. And many trigger guards don't fill that "gap" like they say they do, so I want to know about that too.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 11:26
So is it just held entirely by detents?

Yes. :D

556Cliff
04-14-13, 11:27
I believe he is talking about a stark grip or similar where the grip has a trigger guard incorporated.

You are correct.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 11:30
I'll bet it rattles. I would like to see a review with pictures though.

I bet it does also, though I guess there has to be a trade off for the easy installation.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 11:37
I just feel like it wouldn't be that stable. And many trigger guards don't fill that "gap" like they say they do, so I want to know about that too.

It looks very similar to the Magpul Enhanced trigger guard which I always thought filled the gap very well.

djmorris
04-14-13, 12:10
Betcha it rattles and/or isn't all that secure. Don't know why you would want a QD trigger guard anyways. Sounds like some DPMS Snake Oil or some crap.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 12:18
Betcha it rattles and/or isn't all that secure. Don't know why you would want a QD trigger guard anyways. Sounds like some DPMS Snake Oil or some crap.

I think this "Snake Oil" should be very effective when applied to newbs. ;)

Travis B
04-14-13, 12:18
Take this garbage to TOS.

yellow50
04-14-13, 12:19
I believe the original guard was designed so that the detents could be depressed and the trigger guard folded out of the way. That way a gloved finger could activate the trigger.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 12:21
Take this garbage to TOS.

Already did. It seems to be getting more support here than over on TOS so far. :confused:

556Cliff
04-14-13, 12:23
I believe the original guard was designed so that the detents could be depressed and the trigger guard folded out of the way. That way a gloved finger could activate the trigger.

I think it was for mittens.

masakari
04-14-13, 12:24
I think it was for mittens.

but now with the advent of trigger finger mittens, folding trigger guards aren't as useful.
this trigger guard, however, still does offer some appeal. we need a review with pics.

Wormydog1724
04-14-13, 12:25
Dragons and roses.... Riiiight. :suicide2:

yellow50
04-14-13, 12:29
Wormy. I do admit, the silly engraving is a bit off putting.( even though I don't have any great interest in the product ).

556Cliff
04-14-13, 12:44
Wormy. I do admit, the silly engraving is a bit off putting.( even though I don't have any great interest in the product ).

There is the the non engraved option.

yellow50
04-14-13, 13:00
I did see the plain version. But personally, there is just something about when a company puts out product with goofy logos. I realize that they need to make money, but usually it's a sign that they are catering to the zombie crowd, gamers etc. like I said, that just my opinion. For all I know this trigger guard may be the cats ass.

556Cliff
04-14-13, 13:20
I did see the plain version. But personally, there is just something about when a company puts out product with goofy logos. I realize that they need to make money, but usually it's a sign that they are catering to the zombie crowd, gamers etc. like I said, that just my opinion. For all I know this trigger guard may be the cats ass.

Oh, I agree with your opinion on catering to the zombie crowd.

I can't stand all of the zombie stuff and the engraved dust covers either. :fie:

discreet
04-14-13, 13:33
I've done a lot of trigger guard swapping in the last few days and I would have really loved it honestly. But again, I just feel like it wouldn't be that stable. And many trigger guards don't fill that "gap" like they say they do, so I want to know about that too.

How many people swap trigger guards that much. its an install once and be done with it ordeal for most people. Its not like they wear out. takes a few seconds to install and uninstall. Not sure why anyone would try to fix and issue that doesnt exist.

IMO if a trigger guard is too tedious to install for people, or people who are prone to breaking stuff, maybe a ruger mini 14 is better if they want to do stuff themselves :lol:

masakari
04-14-13, 14:20
How many people swap trigger guards that much. its an install once and be done with it ordeal for most people. Its not like they wear out. takes a few seconds to install and uninstall. Not sure why anyone would try to fix and issue that doesnt exist.

IMO if a trigger guard is too tedious to install for people, or people who are prone to breaking stuff, maybe a ruger mini 14 is better if they want to do stuff themselves :lol:

yes and no.
In the past few weeks I have swapped trigger guards on 3 different rifles probably about 10 times, due to changing configurations and my search for the perfect setups. not a normal occurance, and yes its not a big deal to just tap a pin out, but push button guards certainly would make it easier. so this part does indeed have a market, but it all comes down to quality.

discreet
04-14-13, 14:49
yes and no.
In the past few weeks I have swapped trigger guards on 3 different rifles probably about 10 times, due to changing configurations and my search for the perfect setups. not a normal occurance, and yes its not a big deal to just tap a pin out, but push button guards certainly would make it easier. so this part does indeed have a market, but it all comes down to quality.

Thats a whole lot of changing just for a trigger guard lol. Its really down to a starndard, magpul style, or big hoop style like the brownells. Not sure how its really hard to find a solid config. Either you need a big hoop for big winter gloves, or anything smaller will be fine. Its not like you hold onto it like a grip etc :)

still not seeing any market for gimmicky crap. Definitely more on the milsim/airsoft side as many of em like to switch parts like playing with a barbie doll.

SGTMAJ
04-14-13, 15:17
If it does not make my rifle more accurate, reliable or give it greater capability why would I do this?

556Cliff
04-14-13, 15:32
If it does not make my rifle more accurate, reliable or give it greater capability why would I do this?

Why would anyone remove a perfectly fine, already installed, trigger guard? :confused:

This is for trigger guard-less lower receivers being assembled by newbs.

That's what this is for.

masakari
04-14-13, 15:35
Thats a whole lot of changing just for a trigger guard lol. Its really down to a starndard, magpul style, or big hoop style like the brownells. Not sure how its really hard to find a solid config. Either you need a big hoop for big winter gloves, or anything smaller will be fine. Its not like you hold onto it like a grip etc :)

still not seeing any market for gimmicky crap. Definitely more on the milsim/airsoft side as many of em like to switch parts like playing with a barbie doll.

unfortunately, not all lowers are the same spec. of all of the lowers that I have ever owned, the MOE trigger guard only filled the gap well on one of them. I have tried other trigger guards that I didn't like for other reasons as well. additionally, some pistol grips have tabs or otherwise that make some trigger guards work, and others not.
so yeah, I was trying to work with all that. fortunately, I think I've got it all settled now.

Beachboy
04-14-13, 15:51
Yeah, but don't forget, this is Amerika, where we can still buy things that we WANT for our firearms (at least at the time of this post, subject to change without notice).
So OP, if it works for you and your situation...GO FOR IT!!!

556Cliff
04-14-13, 17:16
Yeah, but don't forget, this is Amerika, where we can still buy things that we WANT for our firearms (at least at the time of this post, subject to change without notice).
So OP, if it works for you and your situation...GO FOR IT!!!

My OP was more of an FYI for newbs than anything else. Though I might get a few to try out just because. :happy:

ar15556
04-14-13, 18:29
It certainly would be useful, for those who wish to Cerakote a lower.

nolt
04-15-13, 09:27
Why??

So you can rock a dragon today and throw on a skull tomorrow.
why would you always want the dragon when you can swap out both?

The REAL question is 'why do they make a plain one??'

I cant WAIT for the LED models. Im gonna start out with a blue skull and a red rose, but I'll have to eventually get them all. I hope they don't just keep making more and MORE LOL~!

(please dont ban me I'm joking) =\

ar15556
04-15-13, 11:57
Why??

So we don't have to suffer all of that other stuff.:smile:

Beachboy
04-15-13, 18:03
Why??

So you can rock a dragon today and throw on a skull tomorrow.
why would you always want the dragon when you can swap out both?

I cant WAIT for the LED models. Im gonna start out with a blue skull and a red rose, but I'll have to eventually get them all. I hope they don't just keep making more and MORE LOL~!

Wow,

Can I get one with a pole dancer with flashing LED's?????

Bluto
04-15-13, 19:17
Is there a beanie baby model?

Packing a 45
04-15-13, 19:28
I think this "Snake Oil" should be very effective when applied to newbs. ;)

Make it and they will buy. also isn't the grip of shame where an ear is broken off driving the pins out unsupported.

Iraqgunz
04-15-13, 22:16
Trying to figure what real benefit there is. Sounds like OCD nonsense to me.

Travis B
04-15-13, 22:21

Please close this thread!

556Cliff
04-15-13, 22:36
Make it and they will buy. also isn't the grip of shame where an ear is broken off driving the pins out unsupported.

Yes, but then that mess would traditionally be hidden by the Stark grip of shame.

556Cliff
04-15-13, 22:42

There is no benefit to people like us that have the tools and know how to install a trigger guard correctly.

This is for the new guy that is going to break his lower receiver if he attempts to do it how he saw it done in a YouTube video.

556Cliff
04-15-13, 22:48
Please close this thread!

Why?

This thing is going to save lowers... It should be plastered on the side of buses!

markm
04-16-13, 08:37
I can't tell you HOW MANY times I've wanted to change the trigger guard on my weapon in the middle of a fire fight.

And NOW... it's FINALLY possible. Sometimes you want a dragon on your gun to let the enemy know you don't fudge AROUND! :mad:

Travis B
04-16-13, 08:54
Do you work for this company or are you just a paid endorser?

Why?

This thing is going to save lowers... It should be plastered on the side of buses!

556Cliff
04-16-13, 08:56
I can't tell you HOW MANY times I've wanted to change the trigger guard on my weapon in the middle of a fire fight.

And NOW... it's FINALLY possible. Sometimes you want a dragon on your gun to let the enemy know you don't fudge AROUND! :mad:

I was waiting for your post.

This can be your new LWRC. :D

556Cliff
04-16-13, 09:04
Do you work for this company or are you just a paid endorser?

No, though I did have this idea banging around in my head for so long that I did consider prototyping a couple, but someone beat me to it.

I didn't really have the machine tools necessary to do it anyway.

markm
04-16-13, 09:08
I was waiting for your post.

This can be your new LWRC. :D

Nah... unless they came out with ridiculous and false claims about their product like LWRCi does... the item doesn't bother me a bit.;)

556Cliff
04-16-13, 12:08
Nah... unless they came out with ridiculous and false claims about their product like LWRCi does... the item doesn't bother me a bit.;)

Ah! Maybe they can become your new KNS Pins then. ;)

That is probably more fitting, no?

markm
04-16-13, 12:47
Ah! Maybe they can become your new KNS Pins then. ;)

That is probably more fitting, no?

Yeah... That's closer. :D

B Cart
04-16-13, 13:06
I don't think this has as much to do with 'constantly swapping trigger guards', as it does with putting together new lowers/LPKs, IMO.

I've assembled, and helped buddies assemble, many stripped lowers over the last few months, and sometimes tapping in the roll pin on a new trigger guard can be a HUGE pain in the ass. Some trigger guards go together super easy, and some are much more difficult. I've never broken one, but i've heard it happens.

I'm in no way advocating this product, and would never buy one, but having dealt with a number of pain-in-the-ass trigger guard pins, I can understand why someone would create it.

Red falcon
04-16-13, 13:10
There's so many likely situations when you're going to need a quick detach trigger guard in a firefight...

Travis B
04-16-13, 13:13
There's so many likely situations when you're going to need a quick detach trigger guard in a firefight...

I'm seeing a "Day After Tomorrow" situation where one would quickly don winter gloves and need the clearance.

markm
04-16-13, 13:17
I don't think this has as much to do with 'constantly swapping trigger guards', as it does with putting together new lowers/LPKs, IMO.

I've assembled, and helped buddies assemble, many stripped lowers over the last few months, and sometimes tapping in the roll pin on a new trigger guard can be a HUGE pain in the ass. Some trigger guards go together super easy, and some are much more difficult. I've never broken one, but i've heard it happens.

I'm in no way advocating this product, and would never buy one, but having dealt with a number of pain-in-the-ass trigger guard pins, I can understand why someone would create it.

That's true. I won't ever use one of these curved trigger guards at all just on old school principal. But if I had a flat guard with these detents, I'd put it in over a roll pin any day.

556Cliff
04-16-13, 13:29
That's true. I won't ever use one of these curved trigger guards at all just on old school principal. But if I had a flat guard with these detents, I'd put it in over a roll pin any day.

I don't see any reason that this design could not be carried over to other styles of trigger guards.

BTW: I have used RRA/STAG style coiled type roll pins and they go in super easy... Almost to easy. :eek:

wetidlerjr
04-16-13, 13:49
That's true. I won't ever use one of these curved trigger guards at all just on old school principal. But if I had a flat guard with these detents, I'd put it in over a roll pin any day. Was that your high school principal?

markm
04-16-13, 14:02
Was that your high school principal?

DOH! Yeah.. he broke his lower putting a roll pin in. :cool:

slamd095
04-16-13, 14:09

Oh the grouping improvements..huge!! :D

Red falcon
04-16-13, 14:25
Oh the grouping improvements..huge!! :D

Of course.. it's a tactical trigger finger enhacer. It may not be legal to use in competion due to it's unfair advantage

mrvco
04-16-13, 16:52
They need a unicorn option.