PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 6920MP-B first AR purchase

China boy
04-14-13, 12:04
Please excuse the new guy type post but I wanted the opinion of some of you experienced guys. I am in the works to buy my first AR. I decided on the Colt 6920MP-B. I'm planning on keeping the gun forever and am in no rush to buy it really. I plan to shoot AR's forever and would help contribute to this site when I become a more experienced member. I do read a lot here and on other sites and also have used the "search function" too as to answer my own questions. But, I would like your opinions as I do value them.

Due to the current AR climate I put a 6920MP-B on order for $1230+shipping(?) and have been waiting for a month. However, I have seen a local NIB 6920MP-B with Magpul ASAP sling rear plate, mil-spec 6 position buffer tube, and CTR restricted stock add yet only one PMAG for $1350+ 1.5 hour drive one way. My other option is to just wait for G & R Tactical to get one in stock for $1100+shipping. Like I said I am in no particular rush but you know how it is when you desire a new gun. The local $1350 one has a few extras but I don't really need them. I wanted your opinion as the saved money would go toward a MKIII or 22/45 for me and my girlfriend to shoot and money can get tight these days for the extra things like guns and the more I can save the more guns/fun I can have.

I did lay claim to the local MP-B for $1350 and have a week until I can meet up with the local seller. I asked why he is selling it and he said he doesn't like colt. So, I looked up his other posts and see he has been complaining about what he calls imperfections with the Colt. I'll post a pic about what he is talking about. Let me know if you think the imperfections are anything to worry about. Like I said, I am new to AR's and don't really know. But I want to buy the best gun I could for the money and want a gun to keep forever. Thanks for your advise and opinions!

What gun would you buy? Are these "imperfections" on every Colt or AR? Is it worth it to wait to save the money? How long until G & R gets a MP-B available? Thanks guy!!

The imperfections the guy is talking about are the extra bubbling where the grip ends. He also complains how there is a seem where the two halves were forged together.
http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/olyarms/WTF_COLT01.JPG

djmorris
04-14-13, 12:07
Please excuse the new guy type post but I wanted the opinion of some of you experienced guys. I am in the works to buy my first AR. I decided on the Colt 6920MP-B. I'm planning on keeping the gun forever and am in no rush to buy it really. I plan to shoot AR's forever and would help contribute to this site when I become a more experienced member. I do read a lot here and on other sites and also have used the "search function" too as to answer my own questions. But, I would like your opinions as I do value them.

Due to the current AR climate I put a 6920MP-B on order for $1230+shipping(?) and have been waiting for a month. However, I have seen a local NIB 6920MP-B with Magpul ASAP sling rear plate, mil-spec 6 position buffer tube, and CTR restricted stock add yet only one PMAG for $1350+ 1.5 hour drive one way. My other option is to just wait for G & R Tactical to get one in stock for $1100+shipping. Like I said I am in no particular rush but you know how it is when you desire a new gun. The local $1350 one has a few extras but I don't really need them. I wanted your opinion as the saved money would go toward a MKIII or 22/45 for me and my girlfriend to shoot and money can get tight these days for the extra things like guns and the more I can save the more guns/fun I can have.

I did lay claim to the local MP-B for $1350 and have a week until I can meet up with the local seller. I asked why he is selling it and he said he doesn't like colt. So, I looked up his other posts and see he has been complaining about what he calls imperfections with the Colt. I'll post a pic about what he is talking about. Let me know if you think the imperfections are anything to worry about. Like I said, I am new to AR's and don't really know. But I want to buy the best gun I could for the money and want a gun to keep forever. Thanks for your advise and opinions!

What gun would you buy? Are these "imperfections" on every Colt or AR? Is it worth it to wait to save the money? How long until G & R gets a MP-B available? Thanks guy!!

The imperfections the guy is talking about are the extra bubbling where the grip ends. He also complains how there is a seem where the two halves were forged together.
http://jamespaulsarte.com/temp/olyarms/WTF_COLT01.JPG

The guy sounds like an idiot. The "seem" between the upper/lower is normal and actually a good thing. That "imperfection" is barely even visible, it would seem. You should already know the answer.

The dude you're dealing with is a ****ing idiot and has no idea about AR's. Purchase the 6920 either way but I probably wouldn't even deal with such a jackass, let alone driving a couple hours away just to do it. That's your call, of course.

ajacobs
04-14-13, 12:12
I think you answered you own question. If you rather save the money and timing is no issue - you might as well wait. The 1230 is a fine price for the magpul edition. 1100 from GandR is an excellent price.

Consider getting the non magpul edition. Nothing wrong with the magpul edition if that is your desired end configuration but it comes with the basic magpul stock and grip. You may find you will want to upgrade to a stock with qd sockets in the future - which the moe doesn't have or that you want a different grip etc - so it may be wasted money up front. If it is exactly what you want then go for it.

It terms of the colt. Sure they don't pay as much attention to the aesthetics. They do pay attention to quality of parts. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

wingspar
04-14-13, 13:17
Offer him $1230 cash or wait. You aren’t in a hurry. You answered your own question. Take macro shots of any 6920 and you will find imperfections. I have them on mine. Your call.

China boy
04-14-13, 13:59
Thanks for the input. You make it sound like the imperfections the seller is talking about is just him being an idiot about the gun. The extras he has on it aren't worth dealing with him or the drive. So maybe I should offer him $1100-1230 and see what he says. If he doesn't take it then I still have one on order.

usmcgrunt
04-14-13, 14:11
If you really dont wanna deal with him shoot him a lowball offer and if declines it no loss, no gain if he accepts then Bam, your search is over! I'd tell him $1100 and go from there! If he says no then you can move on one you really desire instead of wasting time with him!

Grunt Out!

_Stormin_
04-14-13, 14:21
Right now it's becoming a buyers market, with rifles making it back onto store shelves all around the country. Offer him the $1100 that you would pay to GandR, and if he doesn't like that offer then he can hold onto his paperweight until he finds someone who wants to overpay.

:D

blade_68
04-14-13, 14:31
If you buy the Colt from the person that said its not perfect for him. Make sure he hasn't jacked it up IE: when the Magpul ASAP sling rear plate was put on, or if swapped out the Colt parts. I don't know if Colt is selling with it. I'd be leary of driving a few hours to buy from a unknown.

Beachboy
04-14-13, 15:39
Like others have stated, you've answered your question. But to be sure I'm clear on my opinion, just pass and wait. 6920 Magpuls are showing up locally in Walmarts for $1147.00 and standard 6920s for $1097.00.
Grant / G&R will be same or less. All of these will be NIB.

I really would let this one go, you have no idea what the seller may have done or removed / swapped out.

remington79
04-15-13, 04:46
I'm not an expert but you also mentioned a 6 position stock. I haven't heard of or seen a mil spec stock and buffer that wasn't a 4 position.

polymorpheous
04-15-13, 05:12
The seller obviously has had the lower apart.
Did he install the aftermarket parts?
Why did he change out the receiver extension?

OP, do NOT buy from this man.
Wait for the sure thing.
You don't know how else he bubba ****ed that lower.

ETA:
Or even swapped out for lesser parts.
People have been known to swap bolts out of Colts and replace with a craptastic no name gun show special.

China boy
04-15-13, 06:36
Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it. What everyone says makes sense. I'm going to let this 6920 go and wait for my ordered NIB one. Waiting for my ordered 6920 will make it that much sweeter when it finally arrives. And I do like the idea of saving a few bucks for my MKIII.

Things like a private seller switching out parts never crossed my mind.

scottryan
04-15-13, 10:39
The rifle that is for sale locally has been ****ed with and the seller is a ****ing moron.

Also, you are going to be waiting for a long ****ing time for any colt to come in stock.

Clyde armory had regular 6920s in stock this week. I don't know if they still do.

Split66
04-15-13, 10:45
Are you from PA? This sounds familiar.....trashing the gun, then listing it in the classifieds.....hmmmm

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/215570-lol-colt.html

China boy
04-15-13, 12:12
Are you from PA? This sounds familiar.....trashing the gun, then listing it in the classifieds.....hmmmm

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/215570-lol-colt.html

Haha. You found it. Thats the one.

WickedWillis
04-15-13, 12:23
Sounds like that guy should just get out of firearms completely if he is worried about a minor blemish on a WEAPON. Maybe he gets manicures daily.