PDA

View Full Version : What's with the ugly serial numbers on Colts?

CmdrSlander
04-14-13, 12:54
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but recent production Colt M1911s the serial number looks like it has been put on very roughly. The numbers don't look like they have been nicely etched or otherwise stamped or cut into the metal. They are orderly but look very rough and impermanent.

Here is an example:
http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/colt_rail_gun_stainless_6.jpg

Why does Colt do this? Even Armscor serial numbers look nicer.

El Pistolero
04-14-13, 14:07
By the looks of it the SNs are laser-etched rather than rollmarked. I'm not too fond of the shallow look myself, on my LW Commander it looks just okay but on my black Rail Gun the Cerakote almost completely fills in the serial #.

grendelbane
04-21-13, 09:44
My New Agent is about 3 years old now. My eyes haven't deteriorated any in those 3 years. I can't read the serial number now without good light. (I mean really good light!). I couldn't read it back then either. Other numbers on other guns I can read easily in fair light. (57 year old eyes don't see anything well in poor light).

Fortunately, that is my only complaint, in every other regard I am well pleased.

twistedcomrade
04-25-13, 19:33
Meh, I could get past it. That is still a good looking pistol, even with the crappy serial #s.

T2C
04-25-13, 19:43
I have not been impressed with Colt pistols and rifles the past few years. My opinion is based on my experience as both a user and armorer.