PDA

View Full Version : Custom Noveske 14.5s - hacking up some NSRs

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 03:09
In the spirit of the custom build forum, I will walk through the purpose of these carbines, the background, parts selection, and process. It has been a bit of a process, so I apologize for the length.

The purpose:
My goal was to build a pair of carbines that would be my perfect, no compromise carbine, with a particular focus on durability and reliability – which meant I wanted to keep the FSB (and be able to mount a light at 12:00). Secondary focus was on accuracy. Tertiary was on lightweight (this came later in the process).

I wanted 2 carbines largely because I have 2 sons and figured there was no telling what the future would hold (I ordered the parts back in September, of course, not knowing what would come in the next ½ year).

The background:
The concept for these started when I purchased my first BCM middy about 5 years ago. I really liked the midlength system for all the reasons you can find in dozens of other threads, but I never liked that the only FSB rail option was available for carbine length systems. I figured it would only be a matter of time . . . fast forward about 5 years – still no true FSB rail (with a rail at 12:00).

Somewhere along the line I had acquired a used LaRue 13.2 rail and discovered that the LaRue alined perfectly with a midlength FSB, such that I could cut it right between the holes in the rail and also be able to get the taper pins back in the FSB with the rail mounted. I liked the LaRue, because it is a very solid rail that would meet my durability requirements. I was ready to find another LaRue 13.2 rail when it happened that I was helping my brother-in-law build a rifle and he decided on the New Noveske NSR (this was still back in early-September). When his NSR came in, I liked the feel of it and when I held it up to my 14.5” upper, it looked like it would work to cutout a FSB and be able to get the taper pins in. It got me thinking, could I still meet the durability requirement but also do it in a lighterweight package? I am not a lightweight fanatic, but all things being equal, I concluded lighter was better.

The parts:
My original plan was to build it from ground up, starting with a 14.5 Noveske hammer forged barrel with FSB from Rainier. They would get them in periodically, and I figured I would try to catch them in stock. When the NSR/lightweight epiphany struck, it occurred to me that it might be simpler to get a pair of Noveske 14.5 Skinny MOE uppers, so I would have lighter profile barrels and the other Noveske parts was just the icing on the cake. The other advantage was, by ordering from Noveske, I could get Battle Comp 1.5 upgrades (unpinned, of course) for cheap ($20 I think) and have them shave the bayo lug (win and win). Doing the math, it saved me quite a bit of money going that route versus other routes. (I had also considered BCM or Centurion hammer forged barrels, but they were even harder to come by with FSB and were more expensive).

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/01Pre-customization_zpsa7195506.jpg

Again, with durability and reliability at the core, I set out to spec the rest of the parts. For the sake of time . . . here’s the list with some brief commentary starting with more critical parts for reliability

-Vltor A5 system – self explanatory
-Sprinco green spring – should (probably) never need replacing
-ALG/Geissele QMS – wanted a nice but durable single stage trigger
-Aimpoint H-1 2moa in a fixed mount – Aimpoint was the obvious choice for durability and reliability
-AImpoint mount - went DD because it was lightweight and solid and cheaper than LaRue, Seekins/etc
-Daniel Defense fixed rear BUIS – again, durable and lightweight and cheaper than LMT/LaRue
-Noveske Gen 2 FFL lowers – just happened to get these on the cheap, but appreciated the flared magwell for these carbines
-BCM Gunfighter grip Mod1 – always liked the Magpul MOE’s but found I really do prefer the backstrap and grip angle of the BCM
-LPKs were DD and G&R (+ the ALG)
-Uppers already included Gunfighter charging handles, otherwise I would have added those
-When the new BCM comps came out, I swapped them for the Battle Comps. No convincing reason here, did save money when I sold the BCs though.
-Sling – Emdom Gunslinger sling – went this route for their minimalistic design (no padding but wide strap) and ability to convert to 1-point.
-Stock – B5 Systems Sopmod Bravo – previously I would have gone with a Imod for size and angle, but prefer the Spartan design of the Bravo (and no teeth to catch beards).
-Light – Surefire x300 ultra – direct rail mount with Surefire’s reputation with 500 lumens = Nice!
-IO aimpoint cover – for lens covers and a little extra protection

The only thing I was dissatisfied with at this point was the sling attachment options for the rail. There was nothing functionally wrong with the Noveske KeyMod QD socket, but I wanted something lower profile so I ordered a couple IWC micro QD mounts to be mounted just in front of the NSR barrel nut.

The customization and build:
I had most of the parts in my hands by November, but the uppers didn’t arrive for another 4 months. It was okay, because I work A LOT. Even when they arrived, it took me over 2 weeks to even begin to disassemble the first upper. I was happy to find that the Skinny MOEs were not red-locktited. I heard rumors of this for Noveske uppers. One barrel nut was tight enough, however, that I snapped 3 of the lugs off my PRI barrel nut wrench. Luckily I had a Geissele wrench from a SMR rail that worked like a charm (it’s my new favorite barrel nut wrench - what can you say, it's a Geissele).

Cutting the NSR – nothing special here, measure twice, cut once (after a drink and prayer considering I was about to hack away at a brand new $250 part not knowing if everything else would work the way I envisioned). I simply cut through the top rail with a hacksaw, then used a Dremmel cutting wheel to cut through the sides. 2-3 minutes was all it took.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/02Cut_zps81b40811.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/03Cut_zpscf7fceb5.jpg

Then I went to work on enlarging the round end of a keymod hole to make space for the IWC micro QD mount. I didn’t take a picture of it before fitting the IWC.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/IMG_8807_zps378596d6.jpg

Moment of truth – can I actually get it all together, knowing the gas tube and taper pins were going to be the crux of it . . . :shout:

Here was the process:
1 – install barrel
2 – install NSR barrel nut
3 – insert gas tube as far as it will go into the receiver
4 – place FSB (no gas tube) in the new hole in the NSR
5 – slide FSB and NSR onto the barrel (now here’s where it gets tight)
6 – slide gas tube back towards the FSB, but do not install it
7 – rotate NSR on the barrel nut while simultaneously moving the gas tube as far as it will go
8 – NSR twist just far enough to be able to drop in the taper pins when pushing up on the bottom of the rail. The taper pins just squeezed through the venting holes (non-keymod holes). I had to do it this way, because the gas tube could not slide in/out past the side of the FSB when the NSR was rotated. There also was not enough space to twist and drop the taper pins in while inside the NSR.
9 – align rail/FSB
10 – secure NSR to barrel nut
11 – slide several pieces of stiff cardboard between barrel and NSR/FSB
12 – angle punch to drive tapper pins
13 – finagle gas tube back into FSB
14 – re-pin gastube to FSB

It worked :blink: . . . enjoy a beer, take a picture . . . disassemble. A few days later, I did the same thing to the other rail. :suicide2:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/04Mockup2_zpsc8bc67f5.jpg

I thought about just painting them with Aervoe spray paint, but decided to spend the money and get them Cerakoted to cover where I had cut through the anodizing. Before getting them coated, I smoothed everything out with emory cloth.

I had a local guy do the Cerakoting. I had hoped for a FDE, Coyote, Brown or something like that, but he didn’t stock those ($25 more for custom ordered colors). In stead I used the in stock “Sniper Gray”. A week and a half for Cerakoting . . . another week and a half for time . . . and final assembly.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/CustomNSR-small_zpsffd4f4e5.jpg

Long post, I know, but it is what it is. At least this way if anyone wants to do something similar, they have a place to start and an idea of what it will take.
:smile:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/IMG_8800_zps02d7b805.jpg

If I left anything out or I can explain anything better, let me know.
:dance3:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/Bricksx2_zps50d10af9.jpg

:alcoholic:

jpmuscle
04-15-13, 03:25
Most Excellent work 2A. Good job

hunt_ak
04-15-13, 04:16
Excellent outside the box thinking!

jr0xas
04-15-13, 04:29
Truly AWESOME build man. This is the kind of good stuff that makes M4C stand out as a site. Stay safe, and happy shooting!

Brahmzy
04-15-13, 07:36
Great work here!

Did you have any pucker moments where you thought the end result was in jeopardy?

sadmin
04-15-13, 07:42
Great work, and great write up.

Cheers!

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 08:12
Most Excellent work 2A. Good job

Excellent outside the box thinking!

Truly AWESOME build man. This is the kind of good stuff that makes M4C stand out as a site. Stay safe, and happy shooting!

Thanks for the kind words.

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 08:20
Great work here!

Did you have many pucker moments where you thought the end result was in jeopardy?

Fixed it for you . . .

Thanks. The biggest thing was the constant wondering, "What am I overlooking?"

Biggest pucker moment was when I first tried to get it together without removing the gas tube from the FSB. I had a serious momentary "Oh F%$&" :blink: Even once the gas tube was out, it took some problem solving, but it worked.

Good news is, I think this process would also work for someone who wants to do this for a Switchblock. I can't say for sure, but it seems like it should work for that also - getting the dowel pin in would be the challenge, might have to substitute a roll pin.

Korgs130
04-15-13, 08:23
Much respect for having a vision and the patience to see it become reality. Great work!

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 08:24
Great work, and great write up.

Cheers!

Much respect for having a vision and the patience to see it become reality. Great work!

Thanks. It was a long project. I kept thinking someone else would do the same thing first. When I finished, I figured it was worth a detailed write up.

armakraut
04-15-13, 09:20
Your kung-fu is strong.

markm
04-15-13, 09:27
Nice. I'm no fan of that rail, but it is VERY refreshing to see a guy work on an AR project where the end result isn't a ruined gun. ;)

There's been a few too many Retarded "armorers" here lately.

glocktogo
04-15-13, 10:18
This is a VERY timely thread for me. I'm building up a 6.8 and I'm wanting to use a 13.5" NSR. I was expecting to use a low pro gb and throw a Troy folding BUIS far enough back to put an X300 in front of it. I always prefer the front sight be attached to the barrel itself though. I happened to pick up a Vltor VST-1P on sale and wondered if I could do a gb cutout on an NSR and use the VST in place of a fixed FSB. The way your FSB slots into the NSR, it looks like I can even make a very small relief cut on the left side and use the VST's QD socket for the front sling point!

The NSR was going to get Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze anyway, so your project makes me think it might work! Thanks! :D

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 10:35
Nice. I'm no fan of that rail, but it is VERY refreshing to see a guy work on an AR project where the end result isn't a ruined gun. ;)

There's been a few too many Retarded "armorers" here lately.

Thanks. It never ceases to amaze me that people will A) put money into a crap carbine/rifle instead buying something quality and B) that people will start hacking away at their $1000-$2000 with no apparent forethought. Many American's lack of critical thinking skills is depressing.

I wasn't married to the NSR for the rail, but as I did some other builds with other rails, nothing seemed like it was going to work as well (considered Troy or VTAC Alphas, Geissele MK1/MK2, Rainer Evolution, Kac URX 3.1, DD 14"). The LaRue would have been good also.

markm
04-15-13, 10:38
Many American's lack of critical thinking skills is depressing.

No kidding. :(

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 10:39
This is a VERY timely thread for me. I'm building up a 6.8 and I'm wanting to use a 13.5" NSR. I was expecting to use a low pro gb and throw a Troy folding BUIS far enough back to put an X300 in front of it. I always prefer the front sight be attached to the barrel itself though. I happened to pick up a Vltor VST-1P on sale and wondered if I could do a gb cutout on an NSR and use the VST in place of a fixed FSB. The way your FSB slots into the NSR, it looks like I can even make a very small relief cut on the left side and use the VST's QD socket for the front sling point!

The NSR was going to get Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze anyway, so your project makes me think it might work! Thanks! :D

Glad my build might help. I can't speak to the VST QD working or not, but if I can post any other pictures that might help, let me know.

Do you have the pinned version or clamp version? Not sure if one would be easier than the other. The clamp could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how close the allen bolts are to the bottom of the barrel (though it is probably less of an issue if you are using a barrel that is .750 at the gas block - A larger diameter barrel should make it easier to access the pins or bolts through the lower vent holes.

Not sure if it matters to you, but it seems if you could get the QD in the NST, it would have severely limited rotation due to the NSR that may or may not be good.

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 10:41
No kidding. :(

Don't get me started. :suicide2:

eljimbo142
04-15-13, 11:29
very nice. i too am also very disappointed with rail options for a fsb gun. seems magpul moe is about only option. unfortunately the a2 on my bcm 14.5 is pinned/welded so i cannot even try to replicate your beautiful piece of craftsmanship. fine job sir.

VIP3R 237
04-15-13, 11:41
I've been waiting to hear the story, sounds like quite a process.

Kudos on the great work, that is very impressive.

glocktogo
04-15-13, 12:08
Glad my build might help. I can't speak to the VST QD working or not, but if I can post any other pictures that might help, let me know.

Do you have the pinned version or clamp version? Not sure if one would be easier than the other. The clamp could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how close the allen bolts are to the bottom of the barrel (though it is probably less of an issue if you are using a barrel that is .750 at the gas block - A larger diameter barrel should make it easier to access the pins or bolts through the lower vent holes.

Not sure if it matters to you, but it seems if you could get the QD in the NST, it would have severely limited rotation due to the NSR that may or may not be good.

It's the pinned version. I don't fully trust anything that just clamps on in a critical area like that. I think the NSR would actually act as a rotation limiter, which the VST QD socket doesn't have. I'd prefer rotation limited myself. :)

fixit69
04-15-13, 13:51
Nice to see someone take the time NOT to screw up a project. Looks like a solid build.

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 14:27
It's the pinned version. I don't fully trust anything that just clamps on in a critical area like that. I think the NSR would actually act as a rotation limiter, which the VST QD socket doesn't have. I'd prefer rotation limited myself. :)

I agree on both fronts - pinned and antirotation make sense.

As a backup plan if somehow the pins didn't fit (I bet they would go in like mine, if not easier), you could drill up from the bottom and put some set screws in nice/deep barrel dimples. I don't think that would go anywhere and getting the set screws in through the KeyMod slots would be easy. Not ideal, probably better than having to ditch the rail if it didn't work.

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 14:30
Nice to see someone take the time NOT to screw up a project. Looks like a solid build.

Thanks. Honestly, I figured I would run into something that would be an issue to work out/compromise . . . but it all really came together the way I envisioned it.

Couldn't be happier with them. Just need warm weather to get out the spray paint.

glocktogo
04-15-13, 14:35
I agree on both fronts - pinned and antirotation make sense.

As a backup plan if somehow the pins didn't fit (I bet they would go in like mine, if not easier), you could drill up from the bottom and put some set screws in nice/deep barrel dimples. I don't think that would go anywhere and getting the set screws in through the KeyMod slots would be easy. Not ideal, probably better than having to ditch the rail if it didn't work.

Agreed. The VST-1P already has a pre-drilled hole in the bottom for a set screw.

2nd.amendment
04-15-13, 14:53
Agreed. The VST-1P already has a pre-drilled hole in the bottom for a set screw.

See . . . there you go. Now there are no excuses not to do it. :smile:

Badger89
04-16-13, 01:42
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/CustomNSR-small_zpsffd4f4e5.jpg

Long post, I know, but it is what it is. At least this way if anyone wants to do something similar, they have a place to start and an idea of what it will take.
:smile:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/IMG_8800_zps02d7b805.jpg

If I left anything out or I can explain anything better, let me know.
:dance3:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/2nd-Amendment/Bricksx2_zps50d10af9.jpg

:alcoholic:
I. am. DROOLING.

Seriously. Amazing work. I am planning on modifying an NSR just like this in the future, only for use with a Switchblock rather than a FSB. The fact that yours appears to have turned out flawlessly gives me a good deal of confidence. I'm told the Switchblock may give me a little more grief being that the gas tube pin holds the entire thing together though... :suicide2:

I didn't see where you mentioned the length of the NSR (maybe I missed it) but judging by the pics it looks to be a 13.5", right? Granted, I know you wanted a section of rail in front of the FSB for the light, but do you think going with an 11" and just cutting out the entire top portion from the FSB forward would have made assembly any easier? (I realize this would not work with the light) The only reason I ask is because I haven't decided whether I want to mod an 11" or a 13.5" NSR... I don't necessarily need any top rail space in front of the Switchblock, I can mount the front sight behind it.

I'm also really diggin' the IWC micro QD mount. My wife is left handed - one on each side of the rail in conjunction with a Noveske QD Endplate would make a really sweet reversible sling setup... :dirol:

2nd.amendment
04-17-13, 00:36
I. am. DROOLING.

Seriously. Amazing work. I am planning on modifying an NSR just like this in the future, only for use with a Switchblock rather than a FSB. The fact that yours appears to have turned out flawlessly gives me a good deal of confidence. I'm told the Switchblock may give me a little more grief being that the gas tube pin holds the entire thing together though... :suicide2:

I didn't see where you mentioned the length of the NSR (maybe I missed it) but judging by the pics it looks to be a 13.5", right? Granted, I know you wanted a section of rail in front of the FSB for the light, but do you think going with an 11" and just cutting out the entire top portion from the FSB forward would have made assembly any easier? (I realize this would not work with the light) The only reason I ask is because I haven't decided whether I want to mod an 11" or a 13.5" NSR... I don't necessarily need any top rail space in front of the Switchblock, I can mount the front sight behind it.

I'm also really diggin' the IWC micro QD mount. My wife is left handed - one on each side of the rail in conjunction with a Noveske QD Endplate would make a really sweet reversible sling setup... :dirol:

My rails are 13.5. I don't really think 11" rails would have helped wiht my install because the trick was being able to rotate things far enough to get the taper pins in. The 11" rail wouldn't have helped with that.

I think Surf pretty much nailed it in your earlier thread.

Disclaimer
From there you would need to mount the barrel (without muzzle device) onto the upper receiver. After that you would need to hold the switchblock in place in the NSR and slip both the NSR and switchblock over the barrel. You will need to be able to access the pin that holds the switchblock to the barrel with a punch. Removing a small amount of material on the rail over the pin gas block pin area might be necessary. This can be done by drilling (drill press is best) out material, possibly opening up a slotted area to access the gas block pin. A dremmel or similar can work to open up a slot. Or you might be able to move the rail around enough to access without drilling, just depends on how things line up. I can't be sure there without having one in front of me to play with. I would also think on a true Noveske the anti-rotation pin could make it more difficult. On the plus side the NSR's slots at 5 and 7 o'clock look like they might access the pin, or a slight removal of material just over the pin will gain access to the pin. How large you make the initial top cut out will determine how much "wiggle room" you have. Again I would need to play with one to get a better idea.

The other option you noted, removing the gas tube, should make it quite easy, I think, because it uses a straight gas tube. You could slide everything on without the gas tube in, rotate it as far as needed, secure the switchblock (pin or clamp, depending on the version you have), rotate it back, then slide the straight gas tube in from the receiver and repin it.

If it was me, I would try that first (even knowing the roll pin and gas tube might take a little work to get back together. As a backup plan, removing some of the rail as described by Surf should work and would be covered up anyway if you plan to install the NSR rail covers.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Tzook
04-17-13, 22:25
Most the time "custom" just means retarded, but hot damn.... That's incredible.

2nd.amendment
04-18-13, 00:38
Most the time "custom" just means retarded, but hot damn.... That's incredible.

Thanks. The best part is they handle great and are great shooters. The 14.5 midlength with A5 is perfect.

HELLABEN
04-18-13, 02:58
well done, reminds me of when i took a dremel to my new DD lite rail to gooseneck it

Red falcon
04-20-13, 10:35
Freaking amazing job. Good work OP! Excellent fit and function, that's definitely some good ol gun smithin' skills you've got there.

2nd.amendment
04-21-13, 08:36
Thanks Hellaben and Red Falcon.

Hellaben - any pics of your goosenecked rail? I'd be curious to see it.

ROG Tactical
04-21-13, 09:23
Very nice work! I like it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MistWolf
04-21-13, 11:57
Very nice work! Don't apologize for the length of the write up because you did it right. It was much more interesting and informative than "Built two rifles. PS- Cut NSR".

I'm curious why you replaced the BCE comps with BCM?

2nd.amendment
04-21-13, 12:04
Very nice work! I like it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Mike. The B5 Bravo's were ordered from ROG Tac (among other things - more than I care to admit). :smile:

2nd.amendment
04-21-13, 12:15
Very nice work! Don't apologize for the length of the write up because you did it right. It was much more interesting and informative than "Built two rifles. PS- Cut NSR".

I'm curious why you replaced the BCE comps with BCM?

Thanks for taking the time to read it through.

Honestly, the BC1.5 to BCM switch was somewhat curiosity, somewhat money savings and somewhat an attempt to have a device that could be better cleaned. I recall reading some issues with carbon buildup inside the BC (Robb J), and since these are intended to be used hard and a lot, I liked the ability to get inside the BCM comp somewhat (if necessary). A bigger potential issue to deal with in this case since they're pinned. I can't say for sure if will play out that way, but I had read enough about the BCM vs BCE to not feel like I would be out anything in making the switch.

So far, I have been as happy with them as the battle comps I've used. I would have just used an extended A2 if I could . . . ban state BS.

HELLABEN
04-22-13, 02:57
heres my goosenecked sbr. i dont have a great picture of it but you gotta trust me theres a KAC micro sight sticking out there. its a dimpled noveske 11.5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6805711929_3db22782bc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27805500@N08/6805711929/)

actually you can kinda see it sticking out past the end of the surefire. i probably wouldnt reccomend doing it , the rail doesnt seem too strong being goosenecked like that, because of all the vent holes , but it works well for what i wanted to do. i run the sight backwards to i can get the dbal even further out there

SteveL
04-22-13, 13:59
Excellent work 2A, and apparently a little simpler than I would have thought this would be (in terms of how much cutting had to be done on the NSR's that is). Thanks for the detailed write-up.

TR1
04-22-13, 15:40
2nd.amendment,
Congratulations on an excellent project and a great thread that documents it all. This type of project is something that interests me very much and I actually posted about the concept here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1309437

Your execution of the concept was really well done and I like the fact that you used the NSR handguard, which is thinner/lighter than many other options. I hope you add even more photos to this thread (maybe even a few pics of the carbines in use), because the project really turned out great.

2nd.amendment
04-22-13, 16:09
heres my goosenecked sbr. i dont have a great picture of it but you gotta trust me theres a KAC micro sight sticking out there. its a dimpled noveske 11.5

Looks good. I like the paint job, it looks like the sharper contrast between lines should break up the form more than when color changes are more subtle. I hope to get these 14.5s painted over the next few weeks.

Excellent work 2A, and apparently a little simpler than I would have thought this would be (in terms of how much cutting had to be done on the NSR's that is). Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Thanks and you're welcome. I was glad I didn't have to do more cutting and was a little surprised it came together without it.

2nd.amendment,
Congratulations on an excellent project and a great thread that documents it all. This type of project is something that interests me very much and I actually posted about the concept here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1309437

Your execution of the concept was really well done and I like the fact that you used the NSR handguard, which is thinner/lighter than many other options. I hope you add even more photos to this thread (maybe even a few pics of the carbines in use), because the project really turned out great.

Thanks. It looks like we have had some similar thoughts - I am sure there are others that have thought the same thing as well. I kept thinking someone would come out this sort of midlength FSB rail, but it never came . . .

I can try to get some more pictures posted. Anything in particular you would like to see?

Sentaruu
04-28-13, 07:01
that came out well

jayband
06-03-13, 12:12
it's nice custom build, but why not use a flip up iron?

Kenneth
06-10-13, 20:02
I want a Geissele SMR that's done this way.

2nd.amendment
06-11-13, 02:23
it's nice custom build, but why not use a flip up iron?

Personal preference, likely greater durability, lower cost.

I want a Geissele SMR that's done this way.

I considered a Geissele Mk1 or Mk2 when I did this, but it wasn't going to work as cleanly. With the new hole pattern on the Geissele's, I think you could make it work or send me a rail and I'll give it a go. :smile: (just speculation at this time, I haven't handled the newest versions)

NeoNeanderthal
07-26-13, 23:42
Personal preference, likely greater durability, lower cost.

Thanks for the write-up 2nd.amendment. You've inspired me. My NSR is on-route as we speak. Ill post some pics when I'm done .

A few questions (i apologize in advance)

Which IWC micro QD did you use? When I go to purchase one it asks me which rail (obviously NSR is not an option) so which one did you pick, what size hole did you drill, and what'd you use to widen the hole? I assume a drill bit would get caught because of the already existent key mod hole. Dremel?

ArBrnSnpr
07-27-13, 18:46
Very impressive! I've been considering building an upper with a Daniel Defense FSP RISII. Now I'm reconsidering!

skijunkie55
07-31-13, 09:44
Great looking rifles. Really like the finish on the NSR. Any thought to using the cerakote on the rest?

2nd.amendment
08-02-13, 17:32
Thanks for the write-up 2nd.amendment. You've inspired me. My NSR is on-route as we speak. Ill post some pics when I'm done .

A few questions (i apologize in advance)

Which IWC micro QD did you use? When I go to purchase one it asks me which rail (obviously NSR is not an option) so which one did you pick, what size hole did you drill, and what'd you use to widen the hole? I assume a drill bit would get caught because of the already existent key mod hole. Dremel?

Sorry for the delay ... It was just the standard micro QD. I may have just entered a Troy alpha.

I didn't have anything special for the hole, considered a drill bit ... Tried a dremel ...then used some Emory cloth wrapped around a drill bit - worked perfectly!

Good luck. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

2nd.amendment
08-02-13, 17:37
Very impressive! I've been considering building an upper with a Daniel Defense FSP RISII. Now I'm reconsidering!

Thanks. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Great looking rifles. Really like the finish on the NSR. Any thought to using the cerakote on the rest?

Thanks. Full cerakote was more than I wanted to spend. I will spray paint it when time permits.

scooter22
10-31-13, 08:36
Can you please elaborate on the cutting process?

Which cutting wheel did you use? Was it only used for horizontal vents?

msigette
10-31-13, 11:14
You are a braver man than I but the builds look fantastic.

2nd.amendment
10-31-13, 21:24
Can you please elaborate on the cutting process?

Which cutting wheel did you use? Was it only used for horizontal vents?

Sure. I made the first cuts with the hacksaw, going down through the top of the rail. The cuts ended in the vent holes. I then used the dremel cutting wheel (426B, like this (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-426B-4-Inch-Reinforced-Cut-Off/dp/B000PDWEDS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1383268944&sr=8-9&keywords=dremel+cutting+wheel)) to cut through pieces connecting the top rail to the sides of the rail. Then I use a file, briefly, to smooth out the cuts. It all goes pretty quick.

You are a braver man than I but the builds look fantastic.

Thanks. Taking the risk definitely paid off . . . this time.

Slpeod
10-31-13, 22:17
Sure. I made the first cuts with the hacksaw, going down through the top of the rail. The cuts ended in the vent holes. I then used the dremel cutting wheel (426B, like this (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-426B-4-Inch-Reinforced-Cut-Off/dp/B000PDWEDS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1383268944&sr=8-9&keywords=dremel+cutting+wheel)) to cut through pieces connecting the top rail to the sides of the rail. Then I use a file, briefly, to smooth out the cuts. It all goes pretty quick.

Thanks. Taking the risk definitely paid off . . . this time.

Those are a nice set - your boys got a some good ones.

jparish62
11-18-13, 00:28
When I read the title and saw the first few pictures I almost cried...then saw the finished product and I must say well done sir

n4p226r
11-25-13, 08:29
looks like you did a great job. is it really tight getting the FSB on there or pretty easy once you've done it once or twice.