PDA

View Full Version : Try to help - gets shot in face

tb-av
04-15-13, 11:41
This might be one to follow as a real world example for when, where and how to get involved in a bad situation as a non-LEO.

Happened last night so the facts are still not out yet.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/tri-cities/colonial-heights/armed-customer-shot-in-colonial-heights-convenience-store-robbery-try/article_11ea441e-a5a9-11e2-af0a-001a4bcf6878.html

http://www.nbc12.com/story/21977402/one-person-in-hospital-after

sjc3081
04-15-13, 11:45
"No guts no glory"

montanadave
04-15-13, 11:58
It's so tempting to try to Monday morning quarterback these incidents, particularly with the minimal amount of information available.

Couple of thoughts which occur to me:

1. I avoid being in convenience stores period and, after 8:00 or 9:00 at night, forget about it.

2. Two guys committing an armed robbery and I'm standing in the back by the pop cooler? I'm staying out of sight and letting them walk with whatever insured cash is in the till. Ain't my money and it ain't my job.

3. The ONLY time I would draw my weapon and consider engaging the robbers would be if they fired on the clerk, another customer, or myself and it was abundantly clear my life was threatened. I'm no hero and I just want to go home in one piece.

kmrtnsn
04-15-13, 12:32
It's so tempting to try to Monday morning quarterback these incidents, particularly with the minimal amount of information available.

1. I avoid being in convenience stores period and, after 8:00 or 9:00 at night, forget about it.

2. Two guys committing an armed robbery and I'm standing in the back by the pop cooler? I'm staying out of sight and letting them walk with whatever insured cash is in the till. Ain't my money and it ain't my job.

3. The ONLY time I would draw my weapon and consider engaging the robbers would be if they fired on the clerk, another customer, or myself and it was abundantly clear my life was threatened. I'm no hero and I just want to go home in one piece.

A wise and well thought out strategy.

Crow Hunter
04-15-13, 12:34

You and I think alike.

Except it is the coke cooler down here. :)

Failure2Stop
04-15-13, 13:07

Completely ridiculous.
Everybody knows it's the soda cooler.

Seriously, this kind of attitude while carrying a weapon in a non-official/non-duty capacity is good.
Glad to hear that no one lost their life in this altercation.

TAZ
04-15-13, 13:14
Why would anyone want to be standing anywhere near a dispenser that goes pop??

I'm of the same mentality. Stay the hell away from stop-n-robs as much as possible and if needed only insert yourself into a bad situation if life or limb are at risk. I'd like to hear the reason for the CHL guys involvement on e the dust settles. Unfortunately in sure his lawyer will tell him to STFU and say he was in fear for his life no matter what.

montanadave
04-15-13, 13:44
Why would anyone want to be standing anywhere near a dispenser that goes pop??

Excellent point. Standing near a can display or dispenser is inherently dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE