PDA

View Full Version : AAR: 914 Consulting VSM Carbine 07 April

mikejg
04-15-13, 19:31
I'll start this off by saying this is the 3rd VSM class I have taken from Chris (2 prior pistol and this carbine) and I really like his teaching style. He tells it like it is. If you are deficient in an area, he will let you know and what can be done to improve. I wouldn't hesitate to take another of his classes and would recommend it to anyone.

Prior to this I had never taken a carbine class before and my experience on the platform was limited. I was running a BCM 14.5" middy w/ Comp M2. The other rifles consisted of a Daniel Defense w/ T1, LMT w/ ACOG, a Sig .308 w/ Aimpoint PRO, and one other I don't remember. I don't think anyone had any issues with any of their rifles.

We started off zeroing at 25 yards to get on paper and moved back to 100 yards to verify our zero.

Chris went over proper stance, offsets, transitioning between targets, reloads, and malfunction clearance. I know I'm forgetting a few things, so if anyone can help out please post up.

As he does with the pistol classes, Chris brought burgers and his grill and grilled out for lunch. I've also emailed him a couple of times since the class with questions and he's been very helpful.

I learned a ton from this class and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone starting out on the platform or anyone just wanting some excellent training.

Thanks again, Chris!

chris914
04-15-13, 20:13
Thanks for the kind words Mike. Sadly I don't have any pictures of the carbine class as my grill worker/camera guy/general all around awesome bro was unable to attend following a stint with a vicious dog.

My goal in all of my classes is to impart some of the knowledge that has been shared with me by Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, David Pennington, Kyle Defoor and others that do what they do and have done what they have done. I appreciate everyone of my students and learn something new in each class.

Thanks again for the kind words and look forward to shooting with you again soon.

Chris

FozziestBear
04-16-13, 00:06
Another fantastic class. This could easily be a two-day class. The first day really works out a lot of the kinks and teaches good weapons manipulation tactics, especially trigger control and some shooting positions. The drills emphasize accuracy and give you a healthy respect for executing the fundamentals consistently and proficiently.

I also learned quite a bit about what kit works and what doesn't. I discovered that 100 yds and in an ACOG is more trouble than it's worth at double the price of an Aimpoint Micro. Terrible lesson to learn after the fact but nothing eBay won't remedy!

As with the pistol course, you learn a ton of dry fire exercises you can do at home -- especially the mag change, malfunction, and transitioning drills. Trigger control is obviously at a premium in these classes. As expected, everyone was shooting better at the end of the day versus the beginning.

mikejg
04-16-13, 06:35
Let us know how the Aimpoint works out for you.

This class was a great group of guys. Hope to shoot with everyone again at some point.

FozziestBear
06-02-13, 19:25
FYI, Mike, the Aimpoint was spot on. Really love it over the ACOG at 100m and in. Which is exactly what we expected!

mikejg
06-02-13, 22:33
Glad to hear it!