PDA

View Full Version : Styptic pencils vs quick clot, etc

ThrowingLead
04-16-13, 00:00
I met a hemophiliac today who was telling me that he loves styptic pens over quick clot, etc.

Have you ever used styptic pencils? If so, whats your opinion on them?

SGTMAJ
04-16-13, 08:41
Only when I used to use razor blades for shaving. However that's a great idea for small cuts and abrasions and I will go get some to throw in my first aid kit Thanks

TahoeLT
04-16-13, 10:45
+1. If it's something you could just put a bandaid on, a styptic pencil would work; more than that and you'll need something heavier. Doesn't take up much room and so is maybe worth throwing one or two in the aid bag, but it's a limited-use thing.

ThrowingLead
04-16-13, 13:14
After doing some more research I kind of realized the same thing. Seems like its limited to cuts, might be good for a long laceration on an arm or an injury where the width of the hole/cut is small.

Guess I'll stick with QC

starlight_cdn
05-01-13, 10:05
Yeah, they have two different roles. Quickclot Combat Gauze is a penetrating trauma hemostatic packing. Silver Nitrate sticks are for owies that won't stop bleeding with a bandage; use them all the time in a clinical setting for wart paring.

In a first aid kit, on the fence about that. For minor injuries (boo-boo, owie), superficial lacs and abrasions, a little bleed ng will assist in the cleansing and bring WBC to the area. Simply cleansing them, bit of antibiotic cream and a breathable cover will do for most of them. Why take up the room in a kit?

In a static treatment kit, sure...