PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote over NibX

Drecab36
04-16-13, 00:32
Anyone try this set up? My understanding is proper Cerakoting involves sanding the surface before the Cerakote is applied. Will that ruin the nickel boron? Are the two coatings duplicate and unnecessary? I like the NibX product on the inside of an upper but do not like the metallic color. Thanks for the feeback.

jeffk813
04-16-13, 05:22
The NiBx coating is there for its lubricity, more than for it's looks, though I admit I've not seen the inside of an upper coated with it. Cerakoting it will negate any benefit of the NiB coating IF you can get it to stick. Personally, I think it would be a giant mess, but that's just me.

Honorthecall81
04-16-13, 07:09
The NiBx coating is there for its lubricity, more than for it's looks, though I admit I've not seen the inside of an upper coated with it. Cerakoting it will negate any benefit of the NiB coating IF you can get it to stick. Personally, I think it would be a giant mess, but that's just me.

Yeah I agree. I can't think of a reason to do that. Both protect against rust and corrosion. The nib-x makes things easier to clean. That being said the inside of your receiver will be easier to clean if you just keep the nibx. It also doesn't matter about asthetics, because its on the inside.

thei3ug
04-16-13, 07:09
if it's on the outside of a receiver, it's for looks.
If it's on the inside of a receiver it's very dark.

it solves no problems on an Al receiver

Drecab36
04-16-13, 10:48
I would think applying NibX on the inside of an upper receiver would be great for cleaning maintenance and for extra lubricity. I don't know if WMD would take the time to do that or how they could cover up the outside. They do allow you to send in parts for NibX treatment and apply a "topcoat."

Does anyone know if this is a different type of Cerakote. From what I see in pics, its still has a metallic sheen.

Brahmzy
04-16-13, 10:54
I would think applying NibX on the inside of an upper receiver would be great for cleaning maintenance and for extra lubricity. I don't know if WMD would take the time to do that or how they could cover up the outside. They do allow you to send in parts for NibX treatment and apply a "topcoat."

Does anyone know if this is a different type of Cerakote. From what I see in pics, its still has a metallic sheen.

Just call 'em. 2 minutes. Done.

jeffk813
04-16-13, 10:58
If I had to guess (which I do because I don't know for sure) I'd say it's a plating process. But yeah, call them and ask.

Just my .02, Cerakoting the inside of an upper would be like painting the bottom of your boots. You can't really see it, it serves no real purpose, and it isn't going to last.

gatorfan605
04-16-13, 12:19
Cerakote requires media blasting down to bare metal prior to application. So you can't put cerakote over NibX (not that there is a reason for it). Cerakote is also a self lubricating finish, and the Cera-slick even more so. Do your research and choose the one that best fits your needs both are great products, but neither can stop friction from wearing through a finish. However both are more durable than a factory finish.

ETA. NibX and Cerakote are two different materials. It's general practice to apply to them to the inside of receivers as well.

TMS951
04-16-13, 15:10

I have had WMD do an upper for me, they strip and do the whole upper. You would need to then ceracote only the outside to get back the black finish.

Crazy Chuckster
04-23-13, 20:45
I was thinking the same thing today about cerakoating my Nib Mega Maten set to burnt bronze. A Little Google-Fu came up with this thread here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92829

Where WMD said they can cerakote over NibX