PDA

View Full Version : Finally fired my Sig Sauer M400 for the first time.

Yossi
04-16-13, 09:40
I've had my M400 unused for months and finally took it to the range for the very first time on Sunday. I got it shortly before the Sandy Hook massacre and that completely took the excitement out of my recent purchase. Then the weather was just too cold and so on.

I had already done a field strip and clean and lub so it was ready to go.
It fired flawlessly for all 80 rounds that I used. It was very accurate with the iron sights and I didn't make any adjustments to zero them in. I'm sure that there could be some room for adjustments but the closest distance that I shot was 50 yards and I was hitting the black each time from a supported, seated shot. I was also hitting the black at 100 yards.

Then I put on a scope that I got a Gander Mountain, sorry I can't recall the brand at the moment. So, to put it mildly, I know just how necessary it is to zero in the scope. At 200 yards, I didn't hit the target once!

There were a couple of young men at the range who offered their assistance to get the scope zeroed in at the 50 yard distance. The consensus is that that scope is not so great, because we couldn't get it to be adjusted after 20 minutes to hit the target at 50 yrds.

I tried one of the guys Trinitron dot scopes and , I really like that. I was very accurate at 50 yards. The fellow had a monocular and told me after my first shot that I was shooting a tad low, so I placed the dot right on top of the targets head and that did the trick. The sight was set at 100 yards.

I'm not sure just how critical a dot sight would be, but I'm open for input and suggestions.

TahoeLT
04-16-13, 10:43
I'd shoot it for a while with irons. Once you're good and comfortable with that you can look at optics (but you certainly don't have to!); but batteries can fail and scopes can get damaged, and if so iron sights will be your backup.

Spend your money on ammo first, trick out the gun later.

Yossi
04-16-13, 10:53
Thank you for the advice.

That's a good point about ammo. The best optics in the world are useless if you don't have any ammo to shoot.

The last I looked, I couldn't find any ammo in stock. Has that improved?

TacCommE21
04-23-13, 20:41
I tried one of the guys Trinitron dot scopes

I hope you mean Trijicon. If not, having a Sony TV attached to your rifle will make it a little heavy!:lol:

All jokes aside, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge, both in the threads and the membership.

Good luck!

Yossi
04-24-13, 09:24
I hope you mean Trijicon. If not, having a Sony TV attached to your rifle will make it a little heavy!:lol:

LOL! Yes. You guessed correctly. Trijicon it was.

I just purchased a Trijicon-TA31F ACOG scope for my AR. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it should be a nice one.

The dot sights without any magnification wouldn't be as helpful for the 200 and 300 yrd ranges as the 4X that I purchased.

It's very nice with the fiber optic source to illuminate the red chevron. Plus it has the markings for compensating for the drop in the bullet for greater distances.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31F

Thanks for the welcome!

TacCommE21
04-24-13, 10:54
The Trijicon is a fine choice and should serve you well. Have fun!

Yossi
04-24-13, 14:48
The Trijicon is a fine choice and should serve you well. Have fun!

Thank you. I'm hoping that it will stop raining and I'll get a chance to go to the range and try it out.

drice2
05-16-13, 16:19
I agree the trijicon is a great choice

filthy phil
05-16-13, 18:32
Thank you for the advice.

That's a good point about ammo. The best optics in the world are useless if you don't have any ammo to shoot.

The last I looked, I couldn't find any ammo in stock. Has that improved?

Oh theres ammo.
Check back here frequently
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/223-556

kirito
08-11-13, 10:16
nice combination you got there. welcome.

texasgunhand
09-04-13, 23:04
Stay with the irons for a while, more fun anyway...lol