PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum

Racerboy80
04-16-13, 15:19
Have been a long time shooter and just started learning about higher quality AR's. Who knew there was a difference. :confused:

Love this forum and can't get enough of the learning opportunities it offers!

My first AR was a Rock River and has run flawlessly for 10 years. I use it at work and have never had a problem. After reading some of the Threads I have already went through and re-staked the parts where necessary and I am going to order a new extractor spring and buffer.

I just recently purchased a BCM SBR 11.5 from Grant's shop and can't wait to get it. Hate the waiting game, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Cheers!

Moltke
04-16-13, 15:24
Any BCM rifle is worth it. Welcome to the forum.

TacCommE21
04-23-13, 20:35
Sounds like you are well on your way. Welcome to the forum!

Bear1
04-23-13, 21:34
Welcome! You're in the same boat as me w regards to the BCM.

I will say I don't understand all the rra hate. I know many who have had your experience under heavy use

TacCommE21
04-24-13, 11:03
Not so much RRA "hate". A known quality AR can be had for the same price as a Rock River, so why buy a Rock River?

The consensus is if you have one, rock it. If not, there are better choices. Do what is right for you.

Racerboy80
04-24-13, 12:14
Thanks for the warm welcomes...

I do like my RRA and have never had a problem with it, but I also bought it when I was a new patrol officer and knew nothing of the quality differences in carbines. I took the advice of the shop where I bought it as they sale to a large number of LE's, and bought the RRA in a mid-length with the flat-top upper.

The first time I became aware of mil-spec vs. commercial grade carbines was when I went to purchase a CTR stock. I still did not understand the difference and life went on.

When I finally started to understand the difference was when a friend of mine became a member of his agencies SWAT team. They only purchase LMTs for the team. After a brief discussion of the differences, the consensus was my RRA would serve me fine on patrol, since I was not using it day in and day out.

The only problem I have ever had with the RRA, was when I went to mount my rear flip-up sight years after I had purchased the rifle, it would not slide onto the rear of the rail. The flat top was a thousandth off.

I contacted RRA about the imperfection and their customer service was great. They replaced my upper, gave me a discount on a YHM quad-rail and installed it for free. They also replaced my barrel with a chrome lined barrel, because they said my barrel had been "shot out". I'm not sure how that happened, because at the most the gun had through it at that point was around 2000 rounds.

That brings us to now...I decided I wanted to buy a new rifle and wanted it to be an SBR. I felt it would be more functional for my situation and it looks cool, right? I mean I heard chicks dig SBRs, so how can I go wrong?!?! :dance3:

In all seriousness, once I started to research rifles and learned about the differences in quality (I found a copy of "The Chart"), I decided I would either buy a Colt, LMT, or a BCM. In doing research here I happened upon Grant's store and found that he had the BCM in stock and the price was great! So, after consulting some of my friends who are gun Gods and explaining what I had found, I hurried back to the site to buy the rifle fearing that they would be all gone, but alas they were still available and I took the plunge.

Now I am looking forward to the approximately 8 month wait before I can actually take delivery of my rifle. :sarcastic:

In the end I kind of likened the quality issue to off-duty carry or wearing a seatbelt, both are precautionary and you hope you never need the use of either, but if you do, you will be happy you had them. I guess I feel the same way about the rifle, if it ever comes down to the fact that I end up on the two way range, I want my rifle to be the best it can be since failure is not an option at that point!

TacCommE21
04-24-13, 22:27
"I want my rifle to be the best it can be since failure is not an option at that point!"

This. And I want that whether I'm being shot at or not.

Does your agency provide you with an ammo allowance for practice?

thebarracuda
04-24-13, 22:48
Same here guys. This is terrible, my first ar was a dpms. Then I wanted a better ar, so I bought a Rock River. Joined m4c, did a lot of reading, and ordered a BCM middy. Am now happy and wondering why it took so long to see the light!

Racerboy80
04-25-13, 12:25
Yes, they provide practice ammo for when we have range, but not for use on your own, but then again nobody has ever asked for some.

I am one of the handgun instructors and if anybody asked for a box of ammo to use off duty to test out some new equipment or something, we would let them have a box without question.

We shoot every 8 weeks and qualify with the handgun and rifle each range day. Then we do skills and advanced skills and various drills. We also have steel, dueling tree, etc and the guys love having contests. We end each range day with a tactical shoot. Depending on the drill we include handgun, rifle, reloads, malfunctions, moving targets, running, cover, concealment, patrol cars, long distance shots, etc.

Then several times a year we also do live fire with sims in various structures. We try and be as realistic as possible.

We actually shoot more than any other agency I know. If you can believe it, some of the guys complain that we shoot to much! :blink: