PDA

View Full Version : On the front line at Mass Gen in Boston

Canonshooter
04-16-13, 17:32
Our daughter was so very fortunate to be selected for the very first nursing resident program as Mass General hospital in Boston in 2010. She has been working there ever since as a RN in the ICU for post-op organ transplants. She very much loves her job.

As you might imagine, it was all-hands-on-deck yesterday, with all staff attending to the wounded. For the first time in her life, she was exposed to the kind of mass carnage that happens "someplace else" every day on this planet. Talking with her today after completing her shift, I could hear a profound sadness in her voice, as she spoke of what it was like working last night. I too was sad she has to be exposed to this, but at the same time, so incredibly proud of her.

Please say a prayer for not only the wounded, but for the care givers as well, who muster the courage to do what they do under the worst of circumstances.

On behalf of our daughter and all of those who care for the wounded, thank you.

jaxman7
04-16-13, 17:37
Will pray for her strength, and all the others giving their all to help our fellow Americans get through this tribulation. I bet you are very proud.

The more I hear the more angry and sad all at once I become.

Thank you for sharing bud.

-Jax

Magic_Salad0892
04-16-13, 17:39
You have a strong daughter. She has my sympathies for the things she has to see, but it sounds like she can handle it well.

Thanks for posting.

montanadave
04-16-13, 18:08
Please convey to your daughter my sincere admiration and respect for her dedication to her nursing profession. Her efforts on behalf of the wounded are deeply appreciated.

kry226
04-16-13, 18:11
Truly, our caregivers are too often overlooked. Much obliged for her service.

Crow Hunter
04-16-13, 18:16
Please thank her for her service from me and my wife.

Thank you for raising a daughter that would be willing and able to do such a thing, particularly in this day and age.

Moose-Knuckle
04-16-13, 18:48
CS, you have every right to be a proud papa. Good job on raising one of the good guys err girls! :cool:

One thing this incident showed is how Boston has their shit squared away. Right from the get go people acted and lives were saved. Boston Police, Fire, EMS, and hospital staff all showed true professionalism after the attacks.

Canonshooter
04-16-13, 19:30
Thanks to all for the good vibes. I am passing them on to Emily, which is certainly helping her, which in turn helps those she is caring for.

Good vibes are contagious, and there are plenty who need all they can get!

SeriousStudent
04-16-13, 23:03
Bless your daughter and all the other caregivers. May her hands be guided with knowledge and compassion, and may all those she touched receive comfort and strength.

A friend's sister is a nurse at Brigham and Women's, and was hard at work yesterday.

HES
04-16-13, 23:51
Kudos to your daughter. Nurse's IMO have one of the hardest jobs in all of healthcare. I see what it had done to my wife and yet they keep on pushing through, never once thinking of themselves.

Magic_Salad0892
04-17-13, 02:04
Any updates on how the work's goin'? Still hectic? (I'd imagine so, but still. Thought I'd ask.)

chuckman
04-17-13, 04:42
Make sure she stays 'OK'. The mil, cops, emergency services, we are all trained in what to expect mentally and emotionally (to some degree), hospital staff are not.

A MCI is a heck of a thing to throw on people who have never been there.

Best of luck to your daughter in her nursing career.

Canonshooter
04-17-13, 06:11
Any updates on how the work's goin'? Still hectic? (I'd imagine so, but still. Thought I'd ask.)

Em gets off her shift early today, will know more this evening after she gets rest.

Thanks again to all for your prayers and best wishes.

munch520
04-17-13, 06:14
Thoughts and prayers with your daughter. Good to be reminded of these behind the scenes heroes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Canonshooter
04-17-13, 06:14
Make sure she stays 'OK'.

My wife and I are passing on to her all of these good wishes. It has turned much of her sadness into determination and hope, and has served to keep her focused.

Thanks again!

montanadave
04-17-13, 11:31
I'm sure Mass General has the resources and personnel in place to provide "critical incident stress debriefings" (or whatever the current buzz word is) for their staff. Encourage your daughter to avail herself of those opportunities and to be vigilant about self-monitoring for signs of PTSD in the days and weeks ahead.

Caregivers, and nurses in particular, have a pronounced tendency to minimize their own care needs and ignore signs and symptoms which they would immediately identify and seek to treat in others (I know this well as I am married to one of the worst offenders).

Nurses need to be reminded, frequently, that they cannot meet the needs of the patients entrusted to their care if they do not take proper care of themselves. And, again, thank your daughter for her service.

Canonshooter
04-17-13, 20:15
Looks like they are setting up a new staff rotation to deal with the stress, our daughter has tomorrow off after only 2 days on. It's good they are aware of the toll it can take.

Thanks again to all for your best wishes.

sadmin
04-17-13, 20:21
Glad to hear they are taking care of her and prayers for her.

Canonshooter
04-18-13, 17:09
Obama visited the unit my daughter works in today, but since she works the night shift, she wasn't there. Even though she didn't vote for him, she was miffed she didn't get to meet the Pres (he met with one of the patients she is caring for).

Some day I think she will realize how she has been a part of history the last few days...

montanadave
04-18-13, 18:23
Some day I think she will realize how she has been a part of history the last few days...

Your daughter may not fully appreciate it yet, but her care for the critically ill and involvement with the families makes her a part of their history everyday and forever. It's easy to lose perspective when patients are there one day and transferred or discharged by the time the next shift begins. The faces and the names begin to fade and blur.

But for the patients and families, those times of crisis are a singular moment in time and the caring and compassion provided by people like your daughter leave an indelible impression which will stay with them forever.

Being a caregiver is more than a rewarding profession. It is a privilege.

SeriousStudent
04-18-13, 22:30
Your daughter may not fully appreciate it yet, but her care for the critically ill and involvement with the families makes her a part of their history everyday and forever. It's easy to lose perspective when patients are there one day and transferred or discharged by the time the next shift begins. The faces and the names begin to fade and blur.

But for the patients and families, those times of crisis are a singular moment in time and the caring and compassion provided by people like your daughter leave an indelible impression which will stay with them forever.

Being a caregiver is more than a rewarding profession. It is a privilege.

Very well said, Dave, and very true.

Canonshooter
04-19-13, 05:30

So true, my thanks for that perspective!

montanadave
04-19-13, 12:38
Canonshooter, make sure your daughter reads this article (if she hasn't already): http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/04/why-bostons-hospitals-were-ready.html

She and her colleagues did one helluva a job and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Canonshooter
04-19-13, 17:38
Canonshooter, make sure your daughter reads this article (if she hasn't already): http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/04/why-bostons-hospitals-were-ready.html

She and her colleagues did one helluva a job and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Damn, thanks for that link. It's overwhelming to be so sad and so proud at the same time....

Bubba FAL
04-19-13, 19:31
Kudos to your daughter and her colleagues.

I know the Comfort Dogs are there at Mass Gen. Make sure she and her co-workers take advantage of the dogs' presence. They are there for everyone - the staff needs to decompress after an incident such as this. I witnessed amazing responses to the dogs after the tornado that hit our town in 2011. I could see the stress just drain out of people's faces when they sat with the dogs.

Magic_Salad0892
04-19-13, 19:48
I hope she takes comfort in the fact that the guy who did it, is in custody now.

Canonshooter
04-19-13, 20:10
Thankfully, the murderers are now off he streets and the caregivers can focus on what they do best.

Kudos to the LEO who brought it to an end so quickly.

P2000
04-19-13, 20:32
Best wishes to your daughter.

I've spent a few amazing weeks in a few different ICU's rotating as a student. Nowhere else that I have experienced shows how fragile, and how resilient life (and humanity) can be. The ICU is a remarkable place to work and it speaks volumes about your daughter. Be very proud!

Canonshooter
04-19-13, 20:36
Scumbag #2 is being taken to Mass Gen. I hope my daughter doesn't have to deal with him.

P2000
04-19-13, 21:36
Scumbag #2 is being taken to Mass Gen. I hope my daughter doesn't have to deal with him.

Even if she does, comfort should be felt in that trash like him are pushed into our system of law and order. Not the other way around.

The bastard will have his day in court, and his life in the hands of the justice system. Boston will heal, and our nation will know why the trash must be taken out.

Canonshooter
04-20-13, 07:18
Update - looks like he was taken else where. :)

I'd rather her focus on the victims, and not be distracted by a monster in the midst. Also, imagine the apprehension of the victims in the same hospital that this criminal was taken to? Hopefully, they are able to move him to a detention facility ASAP.