PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle, One Part at a Time

Smitty79
04-16-13, 21:20
I am one of those guys who bought an M&P15 Sport when I saw one at the LGS at pre-crazy prices. It reviewed well on a few sites and I hadn't found this site. I would start differently today.

I want something better. But I am in no hurry. I want bomb proof reliability and a gun I can use for 3gun that will be better than I am.

As I buy parts, I will replace parts the parts on Sport.

For reliability, BCM Gunfighter charging handle. Then a Colt BCG.

Once available, a BCM upper. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

Then I work on a new trigger. Not sure which one. Maybe by then I will know some people with different triggers I can try. Then a stock and the rest of the lower.

Total cost about $1500.

Am I on the right track?

MistWolf
04-16-13, 21:24
What is the Sport not doing for you that the new set up will? For $1500, you can buy a complete rifle

crusader377
04-16-13, 21:43
What is the Sport not doing for you that the new set up will? For $1500, you can buy a complete rifle

+1, I would just save for a second rifle and use the Sport as a backup carbine. Prices are already going down and you can get a Colt 6920 for $1200-$1300 range online.

Smitty79
04-16-13, 22:00
I am going to upgrade the Sport as I buy new parts. Eventually, I will have all the leftover parts and rebuild the Sport. Then it will be the back up.

ac130usnsr
04-16-13, 22:31
The only thing I would do to the Sport is maybe buy a new upper with dust cover and forward assist, put the Sport's barrel, BCG and charging handle on it and press on.

Honestly, the BCG is made by MicroBest and although a semi auto bolt carrier it is of good quality and the Melonited 5R barrel is fine as well.

The only other thing I would want to change is the hand guard. Replace it with a Magpul or double heat shielded M4 hand guard. The rest of the Sport is good to go as is.

After that, I would either build the new rifle (without cycling parts through the Sport) or save to buy a factory rifle in the configuration you want.

steyrman13
04-16-13, 22:32
I would just do as others have said and save up for complete rifle. It will be cheaper in the long run and you wont mess up a factory built rifle. Maybe swap bolt carrier and possibly trigger on it

Smitty79
04-16-13, 22:47
Thanks folks. Guess I will save for new complete rifle

So I am looking for a good quality, flat top, 18in stainless barrel, rifle length gas system rifle with a great trigger.

BCM, Noveske, DD... Anyone else?

nml
04-17-13, 00:32
Nice upper: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=18rh-556&cat=124&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

Just change the trigger in the sport lower. Build another lower when you have $$$. Complete rifle just adds 11% to everything.

mrvco
04-17-13, 10:04
I'd get in the queue now for a DD custom build... just in case you decide to go that route.

Littlelebowski
04-17-13, 10:06
My 5.45 M&P gives me bomb proof reliability. Spend your money on ammo and training.

Grand58742
04-17-13, 13:11
Thanks folks. Guess I will save for new complete rifle

So I am looking for a good quality, flat top, 18in stainless barrel, rifle length gas system rifle with a great trigger.

BCM, Noveske, DD... Anyone else?

Just as a matter of asking, what's that 18 inch stainless barrel giving you that a good 16 inch hammer forged midlength system isn't? Drop an H2 or maybe even an H3 in and add a brake for additional help with recoil?

I don't pretend to know anything about 3 gun matches, but I do see the 18 inch stainless barrels being used a lot by those guys. Besides the rifle length gas system, is there really a remarkable difference?

Asking because I don't know, not to cause trouble.

Smitty79
04-17-13, 14:18
Just as a matter of asking, what's that 18 inch stainless barrel giving you that a good 16 inch hammer forged midlength system isn't? Drop an H2 or maybe even an H3 in and add a brake for additional help with recoil?

I don't pretend to know anything about 3 gun matches, but I do see the 18 inch stainless barrels being used a lot by those guys. Besides the rifle length gas system, is there really a remarkable difference?

Asking because I don't know, not to cause trouble.

I need a new barrel to get the rifle length gas system anyway. I want the 18 in barrel because I am not giving up anything significant over a 16 and it should be more accurate and reliable with a rifle length gas system. If I am going to buy a new barrel. A little more money for the stainless steel accuracy isn't a big deal. Ultimately, if I need a new barrel to get the gas system, why not get the one that is optimized for the shooting I want to do? Plan to get better spring and brake anyway. I want it to feel like shooting a cap gun. Still recovering from the 12gauge slugs I was shooting this weekend.

NML. The Noveske is a sweet upper. It's only a mid length gas system. I don't live that far from their HQ. Maybe I should take a ride down and see what it takes to get a custom gun.

Little: For rifles, 2 is 1 and 1 is zero. I have 2 shotguns. I have 2 pistols. Since my brother won the coin toss for my dad's M1 Carbine, I want a back up. After reading the threads on back up parts, I just want 2 rifles.

WickedWillis
04-17-13, 14:24
The only thing I would do to the Sport is maybe buy a new upper with dust cover and forward assist, put the Sport's barrel, BCG and charging handle on it and press on.

Honestly, the BCG is made by MicroBest and although a semi auto bolt carrier it is of good quality and the Melonited 5R barrel is fine as well.

The only other thing I would want to change is the hand guard. Replace it with a Magpul or double heat shielded M4 hand guard. The rest of the Sport is good to go as is.

After that, I would either build the new rifle (without cycling parts through the Sport) or save to buy a factory rifle in the configuration you want.

I completely agree with this. Listen to this man!

nml
04-17-13, 22:59
The Noveske is a sweet upper. It's only a mid length gas system.That is by design. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=961736&postcount=56) :) I assume Noveske is swamped as this setup was before everything, but it is also nice nonetheless: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111891

Smitty79
04-18-13, 09:49
That is by design. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=961736&postcount=56) :) I assume Noveske is swamped as this setup was before everything, but it is also nice nonetheless: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111891

This means that the rifle length gas system is not optimal for a fighting 18 in, but might be for 3 gun. So it looks like a Rogue Hunter is the upper to get to meet my needs. If I ever think I am better than the gun (unlikely), I can change the barrel and gas system.