PDA

View Full Version : USGI mag spring info

Razorhunter
04-17-13, 11:47
What is a good source for USGI mag springs that will work with Magpul 3rd Gen followers?
I would like to replace the existing brownish-tan followers and the funky "one-way only", non-reversible mag springs in my mags.
I'm replacing with Magpul followers, and I would like to go with old school springs that can be reversed and used either way in the mag body.
Years back when I did this last, there were CS springs from ISMI, and there were SS springs also available (possibly from Wolff???)
Regardless, I would like to know if these are still the two main choices? Or have times changed thus meaning I need to get reacquainted with what's currently available???

discreet
04-18-13, 15:20
What is a good source for USGI mag springs that will work with Magpul 3rd Gen followers?
I would like to replace the existing brownish-tan followers and the funky "one-way only", non-reversible mag springs in my mags.
I'm replacing with Magpul followers, and I would like to go with old school springs that can be reversed and used either way in the mag body.
Years back when I did this last, there were CS springs from ISMI, and there were SS springs also available (possibly from Wolff???)
Regardless, I would like to know if these are still the two main choices? Or have times changed thus meaning I need to get reacquainted with what's currently available???

Not quite sure what your meaning about reversable. You mean flipping horozintally, or vertically? The magpul gen 3 followers only take the springs one way horozintally, and not seeing any reason to want to flip them vertically. Not like they will make the springs last longer.

Iraqgunz
04-18-13, 15:39
Get the red springs from Specialized Armament. I have used them with Magpul followers and USGI magazines.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Extreme_Duty_Magazine_Spring_5_56mm_10_Pack-1049-0.html

twistedcomrade
04-18-13, 19:14
When I switched to Magpul followers I used Wolff Springs for my old GI mags. I wasn't having any issues, just felt it was time to switch springs since I was going to new followers. This was about three years ago.

markm
04-19-13, 09:26
A mag spring should outlast the mag body. I mean... if you got 3000 cycles X 28 rounds, that's 84,000 rounds. :eek:

I guess there were some function issues with that stupid USGI bad ripoff of the magpul follower. I'd have not bought those mags in the first place.. but if you have them, I can't blame you for wanting to change them up.

Razorhunter
04-19-13, 21:25
IG, I've always wondered about the red springs from SAW (who makes them, how they differ from other springs, etc)

markm, yes, indeed this is what I'm doing - swapping out the latest military brown followers and springs, for Magpul followers and original type springs. I do not like the Brown followers, or the corresponding springs that go with them.

discreet, the military's latest generation Brown follower also has a spring designed to work with it, which can only be used one way, meaning the spring cannot be flippe. IOW's, only the one specific end of the mag spring will mate upto the follower, and the other end of the spring must mate up to the floor plate. The spring is not reversible, as the older, original USGI springs would allow. I prefer the old style springs, which can be installed into the mag body from either direction.

I'm just trying to determine who makes the best quality USGI mag spring??? That's all.

DBR
04-19-13, 22:19
Brownells sells good quality replacement springs either SS GI type or CS.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-springs/ar-15-m16-high-capacity-magazine-springs-prod41777.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=BROWNELLS

ZINCOGNITO
05-12-13, 19:11
IG, I've always wondered about the red springs from SAW (who makes them, how they differ from other springs, etc)

markm, yes, indeed this is what I'm doing - swapping out the latest military brown followers and springs, for Magpul followers and original type springs. I do not like the Brown followers, or the corresponding springs that go with them.

discreet, the military's latest generation Brown follower also has a spring designed to work with it, which can only be used one way, meaning the spring cannot be flippe. IOW's, only the one specific end of the mag spring will mate upto the follower, and the other end of the spring must mate up to the floor plate. The spring is not reversible, as the older, original USGI springs would allow. I prefer the old style springs, which can be installed into the mag body from either direction.

I'm just trying to determine who makes the best quality USGI mag spring??? That's all.

Excellent questions. Are red springs preferred over Brownells SS springs?

markm
05-13-13, 08:26
Excellent questions. Are red springs preferred over Brownells SS springs?

Those Red SAW springs have been around FOREVER... I think they were cryo'd or something strange. :confused: