PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Bear1
04-17-13, 16:31
Hi all -

I am inexperienced with the AR platform, but looking forward to getting on board.

I grew up with bb and pellet guns, have experience with long-rifle, shotgun and handgun, but very little with semi auto rifle.

Quick question on buying my first AR ... how difficult is it to build an AR after buying a lower, LPK, upper, BCG, charge handle, etc? I'm not talking about doing any milling or anything. I am also looking at just using regular handguards for now ... not a free-float rail.

I ask because I love building things and see no better way to learn the platform than to build.

My rifle will be for range fun mostly... not a duty rifle. Hopefully this negates some of the response re: reliability of a frankenrifle vs manufacturer complete rifle.

Here are the components I am considering:
- BCM Mid LW Upper
- BCM BCG
- BCM Charge Handle Mod 4
- PSA Blem Lower
- PSA LPK w Geissele 2 stage
- Magpul MOE handguard
- BCM M5 SOPMOD Stock w H2 buffer

FlyingHunter
04-17-13, 17:30
First - Welcome to the forum!

My opinion. Buy your first AR from a Tier 1 manufacturer such as: Colt, BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense, FN, and others. Opinions on Tier 1 vary, I'm not the expert. Read the forum and you'll see alot feedback regarding advice on which rifle to get.

Then do a build like you want for your 2nd rifle. Take your time. You've picked a very good list of components. You'll learn from your first rifle what you like and don't like. That way your custom build will be just they way you want it! Good Luck.

Bear1
04-17-13, 21:48
Thanks!

If only I could be lucky enough to have my wife let me spend enough to build AND buy - now that'd be nice!

Bear1
04-22-13, 07:10
Question...

If I buy a BCM Mid 16LW upper, BCM lower, BCM BCG and the handguards and stock that come with a BCM Mid 16 LW, will it perform the same as if I buy the rifle completely manufactured?

Airhasz
04-22-13, 08:01
Question...

If I buy a BCM Mid 16LW upper, BCM lower, BCM BCG and the handguards and stock that come with a BCM Mid 16 LW, will it perform the same as if I buy the rifle completely manufactured?

Yes it will perform exactly the same. Building up a stripped lower is rewarding and not difficult, just read up and avoid scratching the lower as outlined in many build instruction videos online. Many times a complete lower can cost less than buying parts for a striped lower unless you find some good prices and then there is always shipping costs as not everything is usually available at the same time.

Bear1
04-22-13, 08:14
Thanks!

Couple more questions

- can I put a BCM mid 16 LW upper on the BCM stock 20" A4 lower (and keep the stock the same) and expect good performance? What else, if anything, would I need to change?

- what is different about the lower on the A4 vs the Mid 16? Vs the M4?

Bear1
04-22-13, 08:43
Disregard!
Just saw G&R has BCM lowers in stock ... ordered one. Time to piece it together!

TacCommE21
04-23-13, 20:32
Welcome to the forum!

Bear1
04-27-13, 07:56
Upper question
If I want a standard magpul MOE hand guard to start, why would I choose to buy the BCM mid 16 upper w BCG for 729 (no hand guards) when I can get the EAG upper package WITH the handguards, pat Rodgers DVD AND a $100 class certificate for the same price?

Bear1
04-28-13, 16:02
And it also comes with the mbus. Definitely going with this package whenever it comes back into stock.

Question about stocks: just confirming (new guy question, I know) -- I just purchased a new complete bcm lower... Comes with the tube and h buffer ... I only need to get the actual stock to finish the lower, correct? No nut or any other pieces?

Bear1
04-28-13, 16:29
Another question for when I get my upper... If I am only going to be shooting semi is it really worth getting a compensator to help correct muzzle flip? Asking bc being a 14.5 the install will be perm and I want to make the right choice

FloridaWoodsman
05-03-13, 23:55
I would encourage you to build. I built my first one and it was well worth it to know how every little part goes together. If you ever have to de-bug a problem, you'll have a feel for the workings. It does call for a little extra money for the tools, but then you're ready for modifications later. Between the various web forums and YouTube, the how-to stuff is well covered.

There is, though, a problem at the moment with the supply-demand situation. If you're eager to get shooting, go ahead and buy a whole one. If you are willing to wait many months, you can eventually pull all the parts together.