PDA

View Full Version : FTF pre-cautions

ampfizo
03-24-08, 21:38
need some help...i found a buyer for my p22 (paying my asking price instead of the gun shop)

this is my first time dealing with a ftf firearm transaction...what pre cautions so i look for and what if any documents so i need from the purchaser???

DrMark
03-24-08, 22:04
Requirements vary by state.

What state are you and the buyer in?

rhino
03-25-08, 07:05
If private transfers are legal in your state, I would:

Get a copy (or at least see and record the numbers) of a valid license/permit to carry. That should be reasonable evidence that the people is not otherwise barred from receiving the gun from you.

Get a copy (or numbers) of a valid id (driver's license).

When I do such things, I draft a bill of sale including the information above with name, address, etc.

None of this is necessary (where I live), but it makes me feel better in a CYA kind of way (whether it helps or not is unknown to me).

tuff
03-25-08, 07:35
If private transfers are legal in your state, I would:

Get a copy (or at least see and record the numbers) of a valid license/permit to carry. That should be reasonable evidence that the people is not otherwise barred from receiving the gun from you.

Get a copy (or numbers) of a valid id (driver's license).

When I do such things, I draft a bill of sale including the information above with name, address, etc.

None of this is necessary (where I live), but it makes me feel better in a CYA kind of way (whether it helps or not is unknown to me).

Great advise.......

ampfizo
03-25-08, 09:11
im in texas....and the buyer is in texas....as far as DL id goes...how would you if the buyer has a conviction or not....i talk to the buyer and inform me he has no chl but can provide me with a copy of his DL...1st time in open water you know..wana take all the pre cautions i can...

and thanks for the advice...

Business_Casual
03-25-08, 10:40
I've often wondered about this myself, thanks for raising it for discussion. I don't mind showing ID but I am not sure what good it does.

I am not a lawyer, but I fail to see how getting a DL number or such would do anything to protect you (seller) more than the simple fact of how "reasonable" it is for you to look at a person and know they are not a criminal (buyer). Plus, how well qualified are you to determine if the DL or the CHP is not fake?

How could the law expect you (private citizen) to have the ability to evaluate documents for validity unless they are done with crayon and lint? I just find it hard to understand what you are trying to accomplish with that.

If they lie to you, how are you to know? If a gas station sells gas to someone with a suspended license, who is to blame?

A bill of sale I understand; that's only normal business practice.

M_P

Buck
03-25-08, 11:13
Dont' be a robbery victim... Meet in a public place that you feel safe at and bring a friend...

Just my .02

Buck

Voodoochild
03-25-08, 19:14
I second what Buck said and you might want to type up a form that says something like " I _______ do hear by attest that I am not a convicted felon and am legally allowed to own and posses a firearm in the state of Texas." Something along those lines.

rhino
03-25-08, 21:37
The idea behind getting the id numbers isn't to prove anything. It's to be able to the find the person if something bad happens (like the gun you bought turns out to be stolen).

Seeing a valid license or permit to carry is evidence enough to me that I'm not selling to or buying from a prohibited person.

Bulldog1967
03-25-08, 22:58
The idea behind getting the id numbers isn't to prove anything. It's to be able to the find the person if something bad happens (like the gun you bought turns out to be stolen).

Seeing a valid license or permit to carry is evidence enough to me that I'm not selling to or buying from a prohibited person.

A CCW permit sure, but I don't see how a DL proves anything other than the dude is legal to DRIVE.

LOKNLOD
03-25-08, 23:27
I've always been a proponent of the "only paperwork is green" style of business but when I made my last sale, it was a pistol I had purchased new so for a little extra security, I printed up a pair of sheets that stated that I was the legal owner of the gun, and I was selling it to the buyer, and that he was not barred in any way from having it. I included the serial # as well. We each signed and dated the sheets so we each had a copy, and I filed it away. I wasn't really worried as the guy was .mil but it was a bit of CYA for both of us to at least claim to be legit.

As far as asking for a carry permit as proof...Well, the idea of the gov't requiring a license to buy a gun seems to piss us all off, so why would I implement what I'm against? I'd just be validating the anti's argument for licensing and registration. There are lots of perfectly legit gun owners who don't have carry permits (even if they should).

Gunfighter13
03-26-08, 00:56
im in texas....and the buyer is in texas....as far as DL id goes...how would you if the buyer has a conviction or not....i talk to the buyer and inform me he has no chl but can provide me with a copy of his DL...1st time in open water you know..wana take all the pre cautions i can...

and thanks for the advice...

If they have no CHL, transfer it through a Local FFL. Get paid before the date that the transfer will be done. Certified Funds. Meet at the transfering FFL or ship it to the local FFL. You don't want to transfer a gun to someone that can not pass the backround check.

ampfizo
03-26-08, 20:15
If they have no CHL, transfer it through a Local FFL. Get paid before the date that the transfer will be done. Certified Funds. Meet at the transfering FFL or ship it to the local FFL. You don't want to transfer a gun to someone that can not pass the backround check.

yeap...talk to the guy (buyer) to set up a ffl transfer. told him that i would even pay the transfer fee (subtract the fee from the selling price and ship it)
after that he decided that he didnt want the deal anymore...

lesson learn here.......always listen to your second thought!