PDA

View Full Version : CONTOMS

TACJAKE
04-17-13, 20:02
Looking for a good CONTOMS course, travel is not a issue. Tell me where you took yours and why you liked that location. Thanks in advance. Just joined a TAC team and even though I did a lot in the past its just that. We are mainly doing high risk warrants and I can expect to make entries with the team. This is the first time this team will have a medic along. I was chosen because of my training, experience and conditioning assume those are appropriate to the task at hand. That said; I can not fail in this, if you have a recommendation on another course along these lines, please feel free to post at length.

chuckman
04-18-13, 10:51
CONTOMS has gone through a couple iterations and overseen by a couple different agencies over the years. I attached a link to what I found; it looks like the latest, and I imagine you may have this info. My class was a very, very long time ago and I doubt any info would be relevent.

http://www.nps.gov/uspp/faCntcntms211.htm

Aside from CONTOMS, google will show you about 25 different classes. The essentials in most of them are the same.

There is a lot of dialogue about "certifications", and honestly I don't know where the profession stands on a "national" certification, though many programs will 'certify' you upon completion.

The board that certifies critical care transport medics have come out with a "national certification" exam, but in my opinion (and my wife will tell you that is not worth much) it is a lot of self-stroking and back-patting. You will likely get what you need from any number of courses.

As for recommendations, I know NARP does a course that is pretty decently regarded, as does Deployment International (deploymentmedicine.com). Again, there are a bunch of courses, and most cover the same material; I can't speak to the quality of most courses.

TACJAKE
04-18-13, 20:25
Thanks Chuckman,I will continue to search, lack of some kind of standard makes finding a good course kinda sketchy. Right now word of mouth is the only thing to go off.

striker86
04-18-13, 23:05
International School of tactical Medicine has a really good two week class. The guys there are great.

chuckman
04-19-13, 06:54
TACJAKE, where are you located? We may be able to point some resources. I have heard some good things about the Intl. School of Tac. Med., too...I forgot about that one.

I hear you about being concerned about the lack of credentialing. It is an issue that has plagued our community since, oh, forever. It kinda follows the history of how paramedic programs first started back int he dark ages, everyone on their own script, etc. Most of the programs have a 'standard,' though, and follow a similar outline.

Do you want one that is tactics-heavy, medicine-heavy, or a combo?

Oh, and you won't fail, any of the programs....

TACJAKE
04-19-13, 10:17
Striker- Thanks I will track them down.

Chuckman- I live in Michigan, graduated from one of the first nationally accredited college based paramedic programs in the country (1990) I know what you mean about the profession in general. That's what you get went congress creates a profession ref. (Accidental Death). Anyway travel is not a issue, last year I went to Oregon for my UMBC Critical care course. If its a good course I will go. I really need a tactics and logistics heavy program, I have plenty of real world experience with trauma both military and civilian. Thanks for helping out on this, often there are people in our profession that are doing really progressive classes that don't get national exposure.

TACJAKE
04-19-13, 10:45
Striker- That is the course, thanks big time. Looking at the fall course, now I have to convince admin its the right course which should not be a problem. I see you can use HLS and FEMA grants so that should be a big plus. Thanks again for helping me out on this guys.