PDA

View Full Version : Tore between 2 sights. Trijicons/Heinie. Then had a thought...

1_click_off
04-17-13, 21:02
I have been trying to decide between these two sights for a couple weeks (actually months) and then had a thought pop in my head.... What if I am with some of my friends or my bro-n-law and something happens that I am not able to be the one returning fire and they use my gun? Do I really want them learning a new sight system with the Heinie's under that situation? Nope, I will suffer with the 3 dots.

I might get the Heinie's and some new friends, kind of stuck with the bro-n-law though.

Thoughts?

mkmckinley
04-17-13, 21:06
Get what you're going to be most proficient with. You're over thinking this.

1_click_off
04-17-13, 21:15
You are most likely correct. If they can't figure the sights out, they won't hit anything if they have 3 dots. I might order both and someone will get a good deal on the ones I take off.

jck397
04-17-13, 21:18
I have been trying to decide between these two sights for a couple weeks (actually months) and then had a thought pop in my head.... What if I am with some of my friends or my bro-n-law and something happens that I am not able to be the one returning fire and they use my gun? Do I really want them learning a new sight system with the Heinie's under that situation? Nope, I will suffer with the 3 dots.

I might get the Heinie's and some new friends, kind of stuck with the bro-n-law though.

Thoughts?

If it's a Glock get Heinie 3-dots, or I had Tooltech install tritium lamps in a set of black sights for an M&P. Not cheap, but I got the sights I wanted.

Set up your gun how it works best for you--you being able to optimally run your weapon is more important than setting it for the possibility that someone else might have to use it.

gun71530
04-17-13, 21:26
Get Heine Straight Eights and be done with it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

G19 Driver
04-17-13, 21:26
What if your gun is a .40 cal and your inlaw and friends shoot 9mm better?

I prefer non 3 dot sights.

China boy
04-17-13, 21:40
OP- you crack me up. I'm torn what to toss in my glocks for night sites too, but your thought process never crossed my mind. What if the situation occurred if someone grabbed your gun. Wouldn't you want them confused by the irregular sites? Haha. I say get what works best for you.

1_click_off
04-17-13, 21:50
OP- you crack me up. I'm torn what to toss in my glocks for night sites too, but your thought process never crossed my mind. What if the situation occurred if someone grabbed your gun. Wouldn't you want them confused by the irregular sites? Haha. I say get what works best for you.

I like that response, your right. I set my car up for me to drive it and if I couldn't drive, I know most of my friends will not be able to drive it.

I think I will get both and sell the one that doesn't make the cut. I have a sight pusher, so it is no big deal for the swap...

GTDefense
04-18-13, 01:14
I like the trijicon HD night sights for my EDC glock 19. I use fiber optics on all my other handguns though.
check out the trijicon hd sights
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v_jwTV3XQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v_jwTV3XQY

lunchbox
04-18-13, 01:20
If you cant figure out the Heine Straight Eights, well then.....But get what gives you most comfortable sight picture (get the Heines:p).

99HMC4
04-18-13, 09:26
I've had/currently have both. I like the Heinies on my P30 best....

S. Galbraith
04-18-13, 10:07
Your gun is your gun. Maximize its potential for your hands, not someone elses.

As a regular civilian, your most likely scenario for a shooting is at under 7 yards with under 7 rounds fired. If you are a law biding citizen, who's family and friends are also law biding.......then you are HIGHLY unlikely to be involved in a shooting in your lifetime. Even less likely to need to pass your gun off to someone else to do the shooting for you.

So, my ultimate point is do not overthink such unlikely details, and prioritize your likely every day situations. Get a reliable firearm setup that you personally shoot very well, and then make sure that it is comforable and convenient so that you are likely to carry the pistol as often as possible. For me, that is a subcompact pistol in a standard service caliber.

RHINOWSO
04-18-13, 10:18
So you'll modify your performance for a "what if"?

Not to mention, unless it's dark out, you shouldn't be using the dots for anything.

Oh well, do what you will.

samuse
04-18-13, 11:34
I think you should put Ameriglo DeFoors on it because they're my favorite sights.

Because you might need me to shoot your gun for you in a gun fight if you ever come to South Texas.:D

Street Dog
04-18-13, 12:22
Your pistol is a personal item. Install the sights that work best for you. I would not buy my shoes in my brother-in-law's size because he "might" have to wear them.
My choice would be the Heinie's

Up1911fan
04-18-13, 16:27
I think you should put Ameriglo DeFoors on it because they're my favorite sights.

Because you might need me to shoot your gun for you in a gun fight if you ever come to South Texas.:D

Win. Just in case I have to use your gun as well.

1_click_off
04-18-13, 18:20
Ok ok, you guys are right. Way over thinking it. I ordered both. I will keep the set I like and EE will get the other set posted.

Rig in question is a HK P30 in 9mm, with a TLR-2s, in a Raven phantom carried daily.

Chrisfb
04-18-13, 23:53
I have the Heinie ledge straight 8s and like them a lot. Good daylight sightsand the 2dots work well in low light.

denn1911
04-19-13, 01:05
Althouh I like Heinie's, I have Trijicon HD's on several pistols with the yellow front sight. I'm a huge fan of the HD's. I dislike 3 dot sights emensely. Try both sight sets that you ordered and see which best suits you. You'll have no problem selling the other set here.

LibertyNeverDies
07-17-13, 21:47
Are there any manufacturing difference between the two sights? Is one machined vs. metal injection molded?

Vendetta
07-18-13, 00:01
I run Heinie Straight 8's with the ledge rear on most of my pistols. I use the ledge since I run them in a duty capacity and can use the rear sight to rack the slide if need be. They are by far the fastest sights for me. The only pistol I have that is different (that I carry regularly) is my G26 which has Hackathorn sights on it because I had them laying around and it was easier than spending another $140 on Heinie's.