PDA

View Full Version : Trading? AR for AK?

Beachboy
04-17-13, 22:25
Like many of the folks here I have a wide group of interests. I'm currently thinking about trading off one of my ARs for an AK of some type. I'd want 7.62 X 39.
Any major drawbacks or points to be aware of? I mean besides finding somebody who wants to trade an AK for an AR to begin with.:laugh:

Magic_Salad0892
04-17-13, 22:28
Any drawbacks?

5.56x45mm is a better round. AKs are heavier, and less accurate. ARs have better ergonomics, and it's easier to mount optics to them. AKs aren't really modular at all. Etc.

But AKs are cool, and as long as it's a good one, then at least you still have a good rifle. Just not as good as an AR.

Beachboy
04-17-13, 22:40
Thanks Salad. I've had a couple of AKs in the past, but before the parts + US parts hybrids. I should have been more specific. I'll still have several Colts and a BCM even after the trade. So more of an addition, no means a replacement.

RMiller
04-17-13, 22:55
Just remember an AK is an AK.

Only reason I have one is to have another platform besides 5.56. 7.62x39 can still be found regularly around me.

I just added a light, sling, and changed out the pistol grip for a US Palm. It does everything I want it to, points and goes bang. Accurate enough for within 100m.

wideglide
04-17-13, 23:44
I personally think the 7.62x39 is a better cartridge for intermediate or shorter ranges. Its hard to argue with a 30 cal. and a rifle that will feed everything reliably and cheaply. If you can find yourself a Krebs or Arsenal you would probably be pretty happy in a trade since you have quality AR's already. The great thing these days is that the short coming of the AK are pretty well taken care of with rail systems, better sights as well as improved safeties(Krebs for example). Companies have put time into developing this platform and done well doing so.
Its always nice to shoot something a little different.

Magic_Salad0892
04-18-13, 00:17
Thanks Salad. I've had a couple of AKs in the past, but before the parts + US parts hybrids. I should have been more specific. I'll still have several Colts and a BCM even after the trade. So more of an addition, no means a replacement.

Then you'll be expanding your skillset, at the cost of complicating logistics. You'd have to buy more magazines, ammo, pouches, etc.

The training part can be get past, but the financial cost is subjective.

I just took the 1911 plunge, so I know what it's like being in your situation. I was all Glocks, and ARs before, but I wanted to learn to shoot a SAO/Manual safety gun.

RearwardAssist
04-18-13, 01:06
I have always preferred a Norinco NHM-90 myself over most of the eastern bloc stuff, they are hard to find the the mak-90s are much more common. Arsenals are also good.

lunchbox
04-18-13, 01:34
Man I love my AK! That being said I'd still have to ask exactly which brand of AR for what flavor of AK. Get an AK but not at the expense of more valuable AR.

Beachboy
04-18-13, 04:35
Man I love my AK! That being said I'd still have to ask exactly which brand of AR for what flavor of AK. Get an AK but not at the expense of more valuable AR.

I can't decide which one to get rid of, my KAC or my Noveske?? :blink:

No, I'm just kidding, if this all comes together it will not be one of my mil spec. guns, instead it will be a commercial gun, all factory, like it was when it was on the dealer's display.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-19-13, 06:27
I think having both platforms would be good. We all know 7.62x39 is better anyway. ;)

Red falcon
04-20-13, 00:01
AKs were designed to be reliable, easy to make, and very cheap. The concept of "throw away" rifle comes to mind. But today's AKs are amazing as they are constantly evolving. There are many upgrades and modifications in making an AK similar to an AR, but they're very different beasts(:

twistedcomrade
04-20-13, 00:13
I love my ARs, but I also own two AKs. Every collection needs an AK. The ammo is generally cheaper and most of the time the guns run, even the cheap ones. They are more accurate than their reputation, just like ARs are more reliable than their reputation.

oef24
04-20-13, 00:40
Over the past few years, I have traded a few AR's for AK's. I am a huge fan of the AK platform because it runs anything anytime and is extremely proven. If I could only own 1 rifle, it would be an AK.

O

Beachboy
04-20-13, 02:53
Thanks for the responses so far.

Now, recommendations about manufacturers to seek / avoid? Gimmicks, offered as upgrades to steer away from? Suggested readings or forums?
I realize that adding a new platform requires additional support / logistics, so why not pick the collective brains of the members here?

96 SS
04-20-13, 06:34
If you want to start out with a bang so to speak: the new Krebs KV-13 rifle will be awesome! I know they are getting close to the releasing the first batch.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/b3049.jpg

Mauser KAR98K
04-20-13, 09:27
Try to stay away from the WASRs by Century (In fact avoid Century all together).

Check Atlantic Arms. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

I just picked up a Waffen Works AK-74 for 5.45.

If this is your first AK, I strongly recommend to get one chambered in 7.62x39 (you picked not such a good time to grab mags, though).

I will, however, and get flamed for it, recommend you to look for a Sig 556r. I was going to go the 74 route when I was first looking for AKs, but I had friends and instructors push me for a 47 variant. I then saw Saurez's videos on the Sig 556r and how they improved them (last I will mention him).

I bought one for the price I would have gotten a Arsenal for, I just hated that they sent a $100 RDS over irons and that you have to get them separately. Stocks are a little whobbly and plastic. But, it shoots very well, I have had no malfuctions, and its very accurate over most AKs and SKSs I have fired.

Just an option.

RMiller
04-20-13, 09:53
Try to stay away from the WASRs by Century (In fact avoid Century all together).

Check Atlantic Arms. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

I just picked up a Waffen Works AK-74 for 5.45.

If this is your first AK, I strongly recommend to get one chambered in 7.62x39 (you picked not such a good time to grab mags, though).

I will, however, and get flamed for it, recommend you to look for a Sig 556r. I was going to go the 74 route when I was first looking for AKs, but I had friends and instructors push me for a 47 variant. I then saw Saurez's videos on the Sig 556r and how they improved them (last I will mention him).

I bought one for the price I would have gotten a Arsenal for, I just hated that they sent a $100 RDS over irons and that you have to get them separately. Stocks are a little whobbly and plastic. But, it shoots very well, I have had no malfuctions, and its very accurate over most AKs and SKSs I have fired.

Just an option.

I wouldn't go as far as to say avoid Century.

Now, I wouldn't buy one without being able to inspect it first or fire it even. I bought a WASR underfolder by Century and it has been reliable, accurate......finish was decent, no horrendous mag wobble, and front sight was straight.

Now I've also seen some turds by century. Their problem is inconsistency.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-20-13, 09:57
An Arsenal in stock form would probably be your best bet. If you buy their SA-93 you'll have to get a stock from ironwood designs to fit it (if you want a traditional ak) WASRs have gotten a bad rep for canted sights, mag wobble, and some other things. If you find one, take along someone thats AK knowledgeable and have it inspected. If you get one thats built right, its every bit as good as the arsenal. The only other drawbacks is cosmetic. Avoid most Tantals (5.56 barrels were used on the early models). FEG AMD-65 are good if you can get past the stock. Hungarian AKs are pretty high quality in my opinion.
As with ARs, avoid like the plague Vulcan/Hesse crap.

MountainRaven
04-20-13, 10:38
Not that I necessarily recommend the caliber for the rifle, but K-Var and Atlantic both have Arsenal SLR-106s (5.56mm) in stock. And K-Var has magazines for the same.

If you want to stick with 5.56, it's a good gun. Just remember everyone's advice: Stick with the Bulgarian magazines with the black ones being better than the translucent ones.

Beachboy
04-20-13, 10:55
Definitely looking to go with a 7.62 X 39 gun. Yes I realize mags are now panic priced. In answer to one reply, no this isn't my first AK, so I some knowledge of them, but not to the level I have with the M4 / AR15 platform.

Peshawar
04-20-13, 14:10
I love AK's. By far my favorite platform. AR's are great, too. AR's are more accurate, a huge amount of accessories are available for them, they're more modular, and they have several other advantages. That said, when I think about what I personally want in a rifle, the AK fills the role better than the AR. For me. I say go for the trade. It's only money. :p

Beachboy
04-20-13, 15:16
Well went by a new lgs, now I'm in sticker shock. I looked at an Arsenal 7.62 AK, didn't make note of the model. All black with normal configuration stock, grip and forearm at $1695.00??

RMiller
04-20-13, 15:43
Well went by a new lgs, now I'm in sticker shock. I looked at an Arsenal 7.62 AK, didn't make note of the model. All black with normal configuration stock, grip and forearm at $1695.00??

Yea, I had to hunt to get the deal on mine and even then I over paid a little. It's just the climate.

MountainRaven
04-20-13, 16:07

K-var has the milled receiver 7.62 guns in stock for significantly less than that.

Caeser25
04-20-13, 16:27
I wouldn't go as far as to say avoid Century.

Now, I wouldn't buy one without being able to inspect it first or fire it even. I bought a WASR underfolder by Century and it has been reliable, accurate......finish was decent, no horrendous mag wobble, and front sight was straight.

Now I've also seen some turds by century. Their problem is inconsistency.

My wasr is gtg as well. But I'd never buy one sight unseen.

Beachboy
04-20-13, 16:33
K-var has the milled receiver 7.62 guns in stock for significantly less than that.

Thanks for the tip, yes they do.

The SAM7R-61 was listed at $1299.00 which still seems high for a $600 - $700 gun. I guess they've gone up considerably since I last owned one?

Beachboy
04-20-13, 16:52
Yugo M70 Series AB2 type AK 47 Rifle 7.62x39 caliber with reinforced receiver.
Semi-Auto , Underfold Stock , With 1- 30 round magazine.
At $899.00, plus shipping and LGS local transfer fee.

Good / bad / indifferent??

RMiller
04-20-13, 18:54
Yugo M70 Series AB2 type AK 47 Rifle 7.62x39 caliber with reinforced receiver.
Semi-Auto , Underfold Stock , With 1- 30 round magazine.
At $899.00, plus shipping and LGS local transfer fee.

Good / bad / indifferent??

A little high. But if you want an AK. I think the days of $400 WASR 10's are a thing of the past. That's about what I paid for mine, but I got quite a few more mags and some ammo with mine.

MountainRaven
04-20-13, 19:33
Thanks for the tip, yes they do.

The SAM7R-61 was listed at $1299.00 which still seems high for a $600 - $700 gun. I guess they've gone up considerably since I last owned one?

The prices for Bulgarian Arsenals haven't gone up much since last year, from what I can tell. IIRC, I paid $1000-1200 for a milled u/f from them five years ago.

$700 seems right for a Russian Arsenal two years or so ago. But the stamped Bulgarian ones are more expensive than the Russian ones and the milled Bulgarian guns are more expensive than the stamped Bulgarian guns. I think the milled Bulgarians were selling for ~$1200 last year.

96 SS
04-20-13, 20:29
Ill just repeat myself and tell you to look past those and focus on picking up a good one from the start.

The KTR-03 is considered one of the best "American" AK's ever made. The new KV-13 is the new and updated "KTR-03" and will most likely only appreciate in cost.

They can be had for less than what your local wanted for that Arsenal.

Having said that - any arsenal would work well.
Skip the WASR and the Yugo's.

Bret
04-20-13, 20:46
That being said I'd still have to ask exactly which brand of AR for what flavor of AK.
I have a pretty large AK collection. This is the question that needs to be answered. While most AK's are reliable, there are some that are hit or miss. Do not for a second assume that Arsenal AK's are top quality. Some work great and others don't. The monkeys that modify the Arsenal rifles are no better than those who modify the Century rifles. Of the four that I've owned, only one was flawless. This is an SLR-95MB which is 100% Bulgarian made. My SLR-107UR had to go back to have the FS/GB aligned properly. My SLR-106CR and SLR-106UR both went back several times because they were unreliable. Eventually, Arsenal simply refunded (most) my money for them because they couldn't get them to work reliably.

wideglide
04-20-13, 21:35
I personally would never support a company like Century by buying a Wasr with their horrible quality control. Most I've picked up were very poor. Rifle Dynamics, and Krebs are a couple that are at the top of my list. Red Jacket has earned a very poor reputation after initially having a great one until the show and expansion. I have heard very little negative about Arsenals and the polymer folding(not under folding) stock is supposed to be very nice, however the finish is know to not handle many solvents which I think is a joke but not a reason to give up buying one. Believe it or not if looking at used the Chinese Norinco's have a very good rep and I have a NHM-91 which has a receiver which is about 50 percent thicker than that of a standard AK. Russian and Bulgarian based guns have the best reputations for being quality guns other than the gold standard PolyTech but those prices are crazy and hard to find. There is a lot of info out their with AK based sights, check into it. I personally love the 7.62x39 its cheaper than 556 its a 30 caliber round via a .22 obviously and that is all that should need to be said about that in regards to stopping power. 7.62 is also an alternative when you cant find cheap 556, during this recent craze I was getting it for 6 bucks a box. Milled guns are not really an advantage and only weigh more by the way. Vepr's are also nice with 50 percent thicker receivers. Sorry for the ramble.

Beachboy
04-20-13, 22:22
This what I enjoy about this forum, there is a lot of information available if you just ask. The price and quality comparasions are very helpful. So are the mentions of various models.
So, there is not an advantage to the milled guns, versus the stamped ones? How about stamped with a reinforced receiver?

How about US Palm's AK30 magazines? Other AK accessory manufacturers to check out?

RMiller
04-20-13, 22:37
Palm mags have been known to still have problems.

The circle 10 mags are the best.

Surplus steel mags seem to be the best bang for the buck. I have 4 and they've ran flawlessly.

MountainRaven
04-20-13, 22:44
I personally would never support a company like Century by buying a Wasr with their horrible quality control. Most I've picked up were very poor. Rifle Dynamics, and Krebs are a couple that are at the top of my list. Red Jacket has earned a very poor reputation after initially having a great one until the show and expansion. I have heard very little negative about Arsenals and the polymer folding(not under folding) stock is supposed to be very nice, however the finish is know to not handle many solvents which I think is a joke but not a reason to give up buying one. Believe it or not if looking at used the Chinese Norinco's have a very good rep and I have a NHM-91 which has a receiver which is about 50 percent thicker than that of a standard AK. Russian and Bulgarian based guns have the best reputations for being quality guns other than the gold standard PolyTech but those prices are crazy and hard to find. There is a lot of info out their with AK based sights, check into it. I personally love the 7.62x39 its cheaper than 556 its a 30 caliber round via a .22 obviously and that is all that should need to be said about that in regards to stopping power. 7.62 is also an alternative when you cant find cheap 556, during this recent craze I was getting it for 6 bucks a box. Milled guns are not really an advantage and only weigh more by the way. Vepr's are also nice with 50 percent thicker receivers. Sorry for the ramble.

Ahem (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19885).

This what I enjoy about this forum, there is a lot of information available if you just ask. The price and quality comparasions are very helpful. So are the mentions of various models.
So, there is not an advantage to the milled guns, versus the stamped ones? How about stamped with a reinforced receiver?

How about US Palm's AK30 magazines? Other AK accessory manufacturers to check out?

The milled guns feel nice, look nicer, and maintain their value better than the stamped guns. That's it, as far as I can tell. The Finns and Israelis used milled receivers because they screwed their barrels into the receiver rather than pressing and pinning them. I'm pretty sure current milled Kalashnikovs (coming out of places that are not SAKO or IWI/IMI) are pressed and pinned, so the benefit there is null. I have noticed that many of the countries buying new Bulgarian AKs - to include Bulgaria - are buying the milled models and not the stamped models. I do not know what that's about. So there might be something there. Or maybe not. (Arsenal, the Bulgarian company not their US importer, does claim that the milled receivers are less likely to be damaged by a drop. This would also apply to the heavier stamped receivers.)

In any case, one definite advantage is that the Arsenal milled guns are the only Arsenals you can get with 14mm threads, allowing them to take the widest assortment of US-made Kalashnikov muzzle devices. (If you're not concerned with putting a can on your rifle and being limited to one or two brakes and one or two flash hiders or comps is not a problem, then it's obviously not an advantage for you.)

The heavier receiver stamped guns might give you a slight increase in accuracy from a bench rest as the whole receiver will be stiffer (this is also true of the milled guns). HOWEVER, it will also be heavier. Outside of RPKs and RPK-alikes, the only countries to build Kalashnikovs with the heavier receiver are PRChina (due to concerns about metallurgy with the first models) and the US (because we're crazy like that). So if you want to use standard AK accessories for the stock and/or foreend, you will have to machine them to work.

As for the US Palm mags, avoid the early ones. But even if you get early ones, they're good about swapping them for new ones. I am quite fond the US Palm's magazines (when I buy new 7.62 mags, they're US Palms), although there are some people who are not (with good reason, although most of those reasons are due to issues with the earlier production mags).

Bret
04-21-13, 08:08
The milled guns feel nice, look nicer, and maintain their value better than the stamped guns. That's it, as far as I can tell.
... and they tend to be heavier which may or may not be an issue for the buyer. It's necessary to consider the overall weight, not just stamped vs. milled. There are some stamped receiver AK's that actually weigh more than other milled receiver AK's.

I have noticed that many of the countries buying new Bulgarian AKs - to include Bulgaria - are buying the milled models and not the stamped models. I do not know what that's about.
I've read that it's a licensing issue, but who really knows? It is odd that Bulgaria has never made an AKM (stamped receiver 7.62x39 AK47), except for those models that have been imported to the US. They did make plenty of stamped receiver AK74's.

Here are a few pictures for the OP:
Milled Bulgarian 5.56x45 (not mine, stock photo)
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/2817/bulgymilled556x45fixed.jpg

Stamped Bulgarian 5.45x39 (not mine, stock photo)
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/954/bulgystamped545x39sidef.jpg

Chinese 5.56x45 stamped receiver Type 84
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/8628/84srightviewo.jpg

Israeli 5.56x45 milled receiver Galil
http://imageshack.us/a/img543/8996/aagalilright.jpg

Hungarian 7.62x39 AKM (stamped receiver AK47)
http://imageshack.us/a/img402/6958/pistolgripconfiguration.jpg

Romanian 7.62x39 AKM (stamped receiver AK47)
http://imageshack.us/a/img402/8562/wumwithironwoodstockset.jpg

Russian 5.56x45 stamped receiver Vepr (note bulged RPK receiver front)
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/4186/16inchveprii556x45.jpg

MountainRaven
04-21-13, 10:54
... and they tend to be heavier which may or may not be an issue for the buyer. It's necessary to consider the overall weight, not just stamped vs. milled. There are some stamped receiver AK's that actually weigh more than other milled receiver AK's.

All true. The only reason I did not bring it up was because the OP wanted to know what the advantages of the milled receiver were. I suppose additional weight can be an advantage for some people, but I assumed generally not.

;)

I've read that it's a licensing issue, but who really knows? It is odd that Bulgaria has never made an AKM (stamped receiver 7.62x39 AK47), except for those models that have been imported to the US. They did make plenty of stamped receiver AK74's.

That would be somewhat unique. I wasn't aware that but for the AK-100 series there was anything that could have been licensed.

bjfoien
04-21-13, 12:40
I just picked up a Gen 3 "O-PAP" : RPK receiver and Bulged trunion, Old 'cleaned up' surplus wooden HG and stock, optic mount on left side of receiver, double stack bolt and standard 'correct' feed ramp. It's built like a tank, accurate enough for me and the ammo is still cheap in my area.

I was also looking at a milled SAM7, but couldn't justify the $500 premium.

Bret
04-21-13, 13:03
The factory built Yugos are great rifles, just heavier due to their thicker receivers and barrels.

Beachboy
04-27-13, 22:12
Update. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Local there don't seem to be many AK's around. I found one yesterday, a Century for $999.00 with 2 mags.

MikeLima
04-30-13, 14:56
I assume from your posts (the OP) that you haven't been around the AK market for a long time. I personally wouldn't trade my used SLR-95 for a new LE6920 let alone some Bushy or other cheap AR. I've had a few different AK's and the Bulgy milled guns seem to be more accurate and definitely to me seem "tighter" than some of the stamped receiver guns I've had and shot. That being said, the stamped guns run fine and are battle proven.

Whatever you do, stay away from US made barrels and most US receivers. The worst shooting rifle I ever pulled the trigger on was a AK a friend owned with a US barrel that would spray rounds all over the place (like 6' groups @ 100m:eek:) with many different shooters.

Bret
04-30-13, 16:59
Whatever you do, stay away from US made barrels and most US receivers.
Having built several rifles, I can state that NoDak Spud and 74ULLC receivers are of good quality. As far as I can tell, they seem to be every bit as good as their foreign counterparts.

Beachboy
04-30-13, 17:42
I assume from your posts (the OP) that you haven't been around the AK market for a long time. I personally wouldn't trade my used SLR-95 for a new LE6920 let alone some Bushy or other cheap AR. I've had a few different AK's and the Bulgy milled guns seem to be more accurate and definitely to me seem "tighter" than some of the stamped receiver guns I've had and shot. That being said, the stamped guns run fine and are battle proven.

You would be correct, I haven't been around AK's for 15+ years. I'm still shocked at how much the prices have increased, but also have seen some pretty nice guns.
My purpose was to add another caliber, besies 5.56. But seeing the prices I may just re-barrel on of my AR's in .300 Black and call it a day.

MikeLima
04-30-13, 17:49
Having built several rifles, I can state that NoDak Spud and 74ULLC receivers are of good quality. As far as I can tell, they seem to be every bit as good as their foreign counterparts.

I agree Bret, that's why I used "most" for receivers. I haven't had the pleasure of using the NoDak or 74ULLC, but have heard good things about the NoDak. That being said, I've never heard ANY positive reports regarding US made barrels, and after having been around and having shot a few rifles equipped with them I felt I needed to warn him.

MikeLima
04-30-13, 17:58
You would be correct, I haven't been around AK's for 15+ years. I'm still shocked at how much the prices have increased, but also have seen some pretty nice guns.
My purpose was to add another caliber, besies 5.56. But seeing the prices I may just re-barrel on of my AR's in .300 Black and call it a day.

I'm in the same position, just with the guns reversed :D I'm looking at picking up an AR to get something in 5.56 and like the options available with the AR platform. That's why I took an interest in your thread as I just recently joined here and I'm trying to educate myself on the AR's and what would compliment my AK's. Best of luck with whatever you decide and please let us know if you pick one up.

Beachboy
04-30-13, 18:56
MikeLima,

Thanks and welcome aboard, M4CarNet. Good luck in your search also.
While re-barreling one of my AR platforms in .300 would give me a .30 intermediate carbine, it won't address the need for plentiful and inexpensive ammo like a 7.62X39 firearm would.
Since you're an AK enthusiast I may want to ask your opinion on possible trades in the future.

Beachboy
05-29-13, 07:50
Okay AK folk. Is this a good starter?

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/yugom70ab2

Bret
05-29-13, 11:13
Not for the money. It's likely a Century build with a US barrel and a US NoDak Spud receiver. If it's not a NoDak Spud receiver, definitely avoid it. For that kind of money I'd buy one of the factory built Yugo PAP rifles. I bought PAP M70 for about $550 before the panic, so the prices will come back down once demand goes back to normal. BTW, have you actually shot an AK with an underfolder? Of all the types of buttstocks, they're the least user friendly in my opinion.

Beachboy
05-29-13, 12:06
Not for the money. It's likely a Century build with a US barrel and a US NoDak Spud receiver. If it's not a NoDak Spud receiver, definitely avoid it. For that kind of money I'd buy one of the factory built Yugo PAP rifles. I bought PAP M70 for about $550 before the panic, so the prices will come back down once demand goes back to normal. BTW, have you actually shot an AK with an underfolder? Of all the types of buttstocks, they're the least user friendly in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. No, I haven't shot an AK with the under folder, only the wood and polymer standard configuration stocks. The stock wasn't important but the build quality is. However I'm not looking for a Krebs (yet), just a good quality, reliable shooter to add an optional caliber to my 5.56 rifles and carbines.

wideglide
05-29-13, 21:35
I do not like under folder stocks(look ok but function less than ideal ie cheek weld etc.), I agree I think you can find a better rifle for about the same amount or a little more. If I'm not mistaken your kind of stuck with that stock due to the way its mounted through the sides of the receiver.

Belloc
05-30-13, 15:35
If you want to start out with a bang so to speak: the new Krebs KV-13 rifle will be awesome! I know they are getting close to the releasing the first batch.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/b3049.jpg

What are your thoughts about the rear sight being mounted on the dust cover and the front sight being mounted on the rail system?

filthy phil
05-30-13, 17:01
Any drawbacks?

5.56x45mm is a better round. AKs are heavier, and less accurate. ARs have better ergonomics, and it's easier to mount optics to them. AKs aren't really modular at all. Etc.

But AKs are cool, and as long as it's a good one, then at least you still have a good rifle. Just not as good as an AR.

Better for what?
to shoot through cars, walls, ceiling, floors in a shtf scenario the 762 is the better rd.

96 SS
05-30-13, 17:44
What are your thoughts about the rear sight being mounted on the dust cover and the front sight being mounted on the rail system?

Marc has a tone of work into each one of those covers. They get hand fitted and reinforced. They hold zero quite well.
The new rail is also awesome! I would have no problems with that setup, in fact I really really want one.
Then I would add an AKML and a T-1 and be done.

Beachboy
05-30-13, 17:47
I want the versatility and simple reliability of the 7.62.AK. I'm already covered with several versions of the M4 /AR platform in 5.56. I see them as different, but complimentary.

filthy phil
05-30-13, 19:21
I want the versatility and simple reliability of the 7.62.AK. I'm already covered with several versions of the M4 /AR platform in 5.56. I see them as different, but complimentary.

Yeah if you want accuracy you got your ar
If you wanna do some damage go 762:D

Belloc
05-31-13, 01:01
Marc has a tone of work into each one of those covers. They get hand fitted and reinforced. They hold zero quite well.
The new rail is also awesome! I would have no problems with that setup, in fact I really really want one.
Then I would add an AKML and a T-1 and be done.

Thanks. That sounds good, but you would have to remove the dust cover in order to put on or take off the AKML.

96 SS
05-31-13, 08:21
On the first 60 or so guns yes.
After that the production plan for KV-13's was changed and you can install and remove the AK-301/AKML without removing the dust cover.

Belloc
05-31-13, 11:57
On the first 60 or so guns yes.
After that the production plan for KV-13's was changed and you can install and remove the AK-301/AKML without removing the dust cover.

Good to hear. Thanks.
Do you know of any photos of this newer revised KV-13 floating around?

96 SS
05-31-13, 21:58
I might be able to get one next week or the following.
Nothing much is changed, just a small modification to the side rail shape.

JusticeM4
06-01-13, 01:01

For an AK I always prefer milled receivers like the Arsenal. Polytech makes good ones too, and Saiga AK's are decent. IMO adding a good AK to your collection is a very wise move, considering that most AK ammo is cheaper and more available then 5.56.

Personally I own a Draco AK pistol and love that thing. Still accurate with proper hold within a short distance. With a stock (NFA) it would be an excellent shooter for sure.

I almost traded my brand new Spikes AR for a new Saiga AK, but decided my AR is more useful (and better) than the Saiga overall.

Belloc
06-01-13, 12:48
Nothing much is changed, just a small modification to the side rail shape.

Ah, I see. Then no bother. I thought that perhaps the rear sight had been moved.

The KV is an interesting rifle, I only wish one could find a good deal more info on it before tossing down almost 2g's on the counter. It will also be interesting to see what direction Marc takes if he cannot get his hands on any more AKs on which to build his products.

Beachboy
08-23-13, 22:24
Instead of starting another thread I will just pick up from here. I didn't trade any of my ARs, instead sold a FNX-45, added some cash an ended up with a new Zugo M70 with a fixed stock.
I understand it's not the best, but gives me an AK to start with, so now I've laid in some mags and ammo, and like it so far, no issues for first 1000 rounds.
So, now I'm looking at the Ace stock conversion to change it to a side folder. What do I need to know about the conversion and the stocks.
With this http://riflestocks.com/store/product2.html and an Ace Reciever Block, it'd be GTG? What's the "best" config? Shortest stock with the 1" pad? Some other combination?
Thanks!

BTL BRN
08-23-13, 23:24
Yeah, that's going to increase your LOP quite a bit; there really are no shortcuts to adding a folder, it typically requires removing the rear trunion.

Belloc
08-24-13, 07:22
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1094580_555787011152876_1493545541_o.jpg

Beachboy
08-24-13, 08:52
Belloc,

A couple of your AKs look a lot like 2 of my 6940s!!
One of mine wears a B5 and another a SOFMOD, with Insight and Surefire lights, FPG, RDS and one with a 3X scope and bipod.

Now I'm afraid my AK will grow into AKs, just like my ARs and 1911s and Lays potato chips.....you can't just have one!

Beachboy
08-24-13, 08:54
Yeah, that's going to increase your LOP quite a bit; there really are no shortcuts to adding a folder, it typically requires removing the rear trunion.

Thank you!

themonk
08-24-13, 09:22

They exist - http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24824

Bret
08-24-13, 09:29
ended up with a new Zugo M70 with a fixed stock.
I understand it's not the best, but gives me an AK to start with, so now I've laid in some mags and ammo, and like it so far, no issues for first 1000 rounds.
Best is a matter of opinion, but I think that you have a great rifle. The only negatives that I can think about the Yugo M70's is that they're somewhat heavier than a typical 1.0mm receivered Euro pattern AK and the barrel is not chrome lined. On the plus side, the parts are larger in general so it's overall stronger. A folder is not going to improve performance. On the plus side, it transports easier, stores easier, looks cool, and makes gun grabbers wet their pants. Personally, I'd leave it with the fixed stock and invest $$$ in another AK instead of spending it on a folding stock. That's just me. Whatever makes you happy. Where are the pictures?

Beachboy
08-24-13, 10:44
They exist - http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24824

So, if I am reading this correctly, this "Galil style" is a direct bolt-on, without requiring any modification to the M70's receiver?

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=25362

Beachboy
08-24-13, 11:29
Best is a matter of opinion, but I think that you have a great rifle. The only negatives that I can think about the Yugo M70's is that they're somewhat heavier than a typical 1.0mm receivered Euro pattern AK and the barrel is not chrome lined. On the plus side, the parts are larger in general so it's overall stronger. A folder is not going to improve performance. On the plus side, it transports easier, stores easier, looks cool, and makes gun grabbers wet their pants. Personally, I'd leave it with the fixed stock and invest $$$ in another AK instead of spending it on a folding stock. That's just me. Whatever makes you happy. Where are the pictures?

Here you go -http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/AlabamaBeachboy/image.jpg

themonk
08-24-13, 12:23
So, if I am reading this correctly, this "Galil style" is a direct bolt-on, without requiring any modification to the M70's receiver?

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=25362

Yes. Review here - http://fleetingsurvival.com/2012/04/tail-of-the-ak-part-5/

M4 stock but same knuckle

Beachboy
08-24-13, 13:37
Much obliged. Interesting. I know that I've got a SOPMOD, Rogers and Magpul stocks, all sized for mil spec tubes, hanging around, doing nothing. But think I'd prefer the Galil style.

alienb1212
08-25-13, 07:34
Any drawbacks?

5.56x45mm is a better round.

Can you expand on this?

Edit: I am assuming you are comparing it to a 7.62x39.

Crow Hunter
08-25-13, 12:25
Much obliged. Interesting. I know that I've got a SOPMOD, Rogers and Magpul stocks, all sized for mil spec tubes, hanging around, doing nothing. But think I'd prefer the Galil style.

See if you can try one out before you buy if at all possible.

I have owned a Polytech with that stock for a long time.

The folding advantages are outweighed by the poor cheek weld IMHO.

If you could get one of the Bulgarian type folders that are shaped like fixed stock, it would be better, I think.

I have tried wrapping it in different materials, but it is still a metal tube and it feels like it when you shoot.

I think I would go with a AR type collapsible stock over all of them. My 6920 is only a couple of inches longer than my Polytech with the stock folded and it is still shootable with a decent cheek weld while the folded Polytech is near impossible to shoot accurately with the stock folded. The added advantage of the collapsible stock is that you can adjust it to match what you are wearing or your position. I like to have the stock all the way out when I am shooting prone but 2 notches in when I am standing.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/IMG_0849.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/anewbill/media/IMG_0849.jpg.html)

No comments on my non-tactical socks. :D

Beachboy
08-25-13, 20:35
Interesting. Thanks.