PDA

View Full Version : 226 maintence

kyler226
04-17-13, 22:30
When should I replace parts for 226r just for general maintence like recoil spring, guide rod, etc.?

El Pistolero
04-18-13, 19:27
This should help. Copied from sigforum.com:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/6801056451?r=6801056451#6801056451

Originally posted by sigfreund:
I believe this may still be of interest (original information from March 2008).

The following is SIG SAUER's current parts replacement schedule (numbers of rounds), with some comments of my own:

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000 †
Roll pins for breechblock retention (pins, HD): 5000
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever spring: 10,000
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

Mainspring (hammer spring): SIG SAUER evidently makes no formal recommendation about the mainspring, but lbj was told by customer service that guns with 40,000 rounds are still igniting their ammunition with the original spring. If ignition problems do develop and can't be determined to be due to other reasons, the obvious course would be to try a new mainspring.

* I also recommend replacing the magazine spring when ammunition is not held securely. This can occur before slide lock failures.

† I had seen an early recommendation here that the recoil spring be replaced after 3000 rounds, and that's what I follow.

For the armorers: SIG considers the extractor used in P220 stainless steel slides to be a "sacrificial" part, and that it should be replaced after it's removed from the slide.

Rana
04-18-13, 19:33
This should help. Copied from sigforum.com:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/6801056451?r=6801056451#6801056451

Originally posted by sigfreund:
I believe this may still be of interest (original information from March 2008).

The following is SIG SAUER's current parts replacement schedule (numbers of rounds), with some comments of my own:

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000 †
Roll pins for breechblock retention (pins, HD): 5000
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever spring: 10,000
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

Mainspring (hammer spring): SIG SAUER evidently makes no formal recommendation about the mainspring, but lbj was told by customer service that guns with 40,000 rounds are still igniting their ammunition with the original spring. If ignition problems do develop and can't be determined to be due to other reasons, the obvious course would be to try a new mainspring.

* I also recommend replacing the magazine spring when ammunition is not held securely. This can occur before slide lock failures.

† I had seen an early recommendation here that the recoil spring be replaced after 3000 rounds, and that's what I follow.

For the armorers: SIG considers the extractor used in P220 stainless steel slides to be a "sacrificial" part, and that it should be replaced after it's removed from the slide.

Pay attention to recoil spring, barrel, and trigger bar spring.

In my experience those are the first things to degrade with heavy use. The trigger bar spring being the most prevalent item in my experience.

It does take a lot of rounds to get there but you will know immediately when the spring fails and your trigger is like a wet noodle.

kyler226
04-18-13, 20:44
Thank you to both of you. This is my first firearm (obviously lol) and just making sure I take proper car of this gun. Let alone this handgun is a sweet shooter its also my EDC so it matters alot. Thanks again you two:D

El Pistolero
04-18-13, 20:53
No problem. My P226 was a police trade-in so I had the same questions too when I received it (what should I replace and when?). There's always someone on this board who will know more than you and be happy to help. It's great when the SMEs chime in as well as they are very knowledgeable and more importantly have real-world experience so their advice and/or opinions will carry more weight.

P.S.- If you are ever looking to upgrade your sights I personally recommend the Trijocon HDs. I have them in yellow on mine and they are fantastic.

Red falcon
04-19-13, 23:11
Thanks for the info! I was also curious about the lifespan of a sig as well. I'm debating whether to get a used W. German model or a new one, I think I'll get an older one and replace parts when needed.

El Pistolero
04-20-13, 04:28
From what I've gathered through extensive reading, the older German/West German SIGs have superior craftsmanship than the ones made in the USA but the newer milled slide models will be more durable. I went with a W. German one myself, I don't think I could afford enough ammo for durability to be an issue. I recall reading somewhere on another board where an active duty SEAL stated that the P226s were one of the more durable weapons in inventory and they were getting 60k rounds out of them. Maybe an SME here can chime in on that and correct me if I'm wrong but when I have time later today I'll dig for the info and see if I can find a link to the source as I read it second-hand and you know how that goes.

Gary1911A1
04-20-13, 07:04
Many Sig users recommend keeping the rails wet with grease or oil to prevent premature wear. Also the barrel where it locks into place on the slide and frame.

pat701
04-20-13, 18:45
If it slides grease it, if it rolls oil it.