PDA

View Full Version : It was this close! 13 Dems vote for National Reciprocity

Noodles
04-17-13, 22:59
Cornyn’s amendment today got 58-42, just two votes shy of the required 60 to make it to an amendment in the gun control bill.

Thirteen Democrats supported Cornyn’s measure, including, Sens. Baucus, Begich, Donnelly, Hagan, Heinrich, Heitkamp, Landrieu, Manchin, Pryor, Udall (CO), Udall (NM), Tester, Warner.

If it came this close in this climate, it's a pretty sure bet at some point it is going through.

Magic_Salad0892
04-17-13, 23:10
Cornyn’s amendment today got 58-42, just two votes shy of the required 60 to make it to an amendment in the gun control bill.

Thirteen Democrats supported Cornyn’s measure, including, Sens. Baucus, Begich, Donnelly, Hagan, Heinrich, Heitkamp, Landrieu, Manchin, Pryor, Udall (CO), Udall (NM), Tester, Warner.

If it came this close in this climate, it's a pretty sure bet at some point it is going through.

Wow. That's awesome that they voted for it.

SteyrAUG
04-17-13, 23:19
Maybe we can take this on the offensive now.

Jer
04-17-13, 23:51
Maybe we can take this on the offensive now.

Exactly. We need to keep this focus and intensity up to actually gain lost ground rather than just play defense.

fixit69
04-17-13, 23:58
Time to get sharp...

Armati
04-18-13, 02:43
There should be a constant and continuous full court press to add National Reciprocity to every bill that comes down the pike. In addition, amendments calling for the removal of the "sporting purposes" clause from the 1968 GCA. It would be just too simple to strike that clause.

My only problem with Cornyn's amendment is that it required you to possess a CCW licence from your home state. I would change that to allow the recognition of a CCW given by any state. Under Cornyn's amendment guys in NY, NJ, DC, MA, CA, MD and other such anti-CCW places would still be SOL.

chadbag
04-18-13, 03:35
My only problem with Cornyn's amendment is that it required you to possess a CCW licence from your home state. I would change that to allow the recognition of a CCW given by any state. Under Cornyn's amendment guys in NY, NJ, DC, MA, CA, MD and other such anti-CCW places would still be SOL.

I agree with you, but want to point out that Mass actually has a lot of CCW holders. Approximately 250k it's estimated. It is not shall issue but is an offshoot of the need to get a "pistol permit" to have a pistol or take it to the range and the permit also is a LTC.

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

----

platoonDaddy
04-18-13, 04:03
Was VERY surprised on how close the vote was, maybe there is hope!

Tokarev
04-18-13, 05:53
Baucus is a greasy worm who'll do anything to stay in office. He voted for the Clinton ban but then changed his tune to be more pro-gun when the ban didn't sit right with many Montana voters. He's been on shaky ground since and I'm hoping his support for healthcare reform will finally be what gets him out of office.

I live in AZ now and am glad I do, if for no other reason than to vote against McCain next election.

Point is we need to start paying attention and planning ahead. Don't let these fair weather pro-gun votes fool you.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

Noodles
04-18-13, 10:13
Baucus is a greasy worm who'll do anything to stay in office.

I'm confused.... do you not understand how a representative republic works? I want them to do my bidding, and in return they get to stay in office. I don't give a shit of what they personally believe, because no matter what, they will eventually sell you out on something... They're politicians. They are not to be trusted. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't recognize when they do something right.

Here is the breakdown for Y/N

Grouped By Vote Position

YEAs ---57
Alexander (R-TN)
Ayotte (R-NH)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Baucus (D-MT)
Begich (D-AK)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coats (R-IN)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Donnelly (D-IN)
Enzi (R-WY)
Fischer (R-NE)
Flake (R-AZ)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagan (D-NC)
Hatch (R-UT)
Heinrich (D-NM)
Heitkamp (D-ND)
Heller (R-NV)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (R-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lee (R-UT)
Manchin (D-WV)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Paul (R-KY)
Portman (R-OH)
Pryor (D-AR)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rubio (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Tester (D-MT)
Thune (R-SD)
Toomey (R-PA)
Udall (D-CO)
Udall (D-NM)
Vitter (R-LA)
Warner (D-VA)
Wicker (R-MS)

NAYs ---43
Baldwin (D-WI)
Bennet (D-CO)
Blumenthal (D-CT)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Coons (D-DE)
Cowan (D-MA)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hirono (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kaine (D-VA)
King (I-ME)
Kirk (R-IL)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Merkley (D-OR)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murphy (D-CT)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schatz (D-HI)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Warren (D-MA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

yellowfin
04-18-13, 10:15
Can anyone guess how much money is in my bank account now from almost made sales?

Noodles
04-23-13, 12:21
Baucus is a greasy worm who'll do anything to stay in office.

Don't let these fair weather pro-gun votes fool you.

COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/23/sen-baucus-not-seeking-a-seventh-term/?hpt=hp_t3

kry226
04-23-13, 15:44
While I haven't followed his voting record with a fine-tooth comb, I think this is the most I've ever agreed with him.

2nd Amendment Is Not a Take-It-Or-Leave-It Proposition

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution is not merely about hunting, recreational shooting, or marksmanship. Nor is it discretionary. It is not a take-it-or-leave-it proposition.

In order to bolster the freedom of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, I offered legislation that would allow Americans with concealed handgun licenses issued by their own states to exercise those rights in other states whose state law authorizes the issuance of a concealed handgun license.

If you're driving from Virginia to Texas, you don't have to obtain a separate driver's license for each state you drive through. But you do have to obey the speed limits and other laws of the state in which you are driving.

If this legislation becomes the law of the land, someone with a concealed carry permit in Texas would no longer have to worry about obtaining a separate one when he or she travels across the country.

For all of us who are worried and concerned about these episodes of senseless gun violence, I think we can actually find a solution, not by encroaching on the freedom of law-abiding citizens who are exercising their constitutional rights, but by focusing on the areas where we can actually make a difference.

MountainRaven
04-23-13, 21:52
Baucus is a greasy worm who'll do anything to stay in office. He voted for the Clinton ban but then changed his tune to be more pro-gun when the ban didn't sit right with many Montana voters. He's been on shaky ground since and I'm hoping his support for healthcare reform will finally be what gets him out of office.

Baucus could have voted whichever way he wanted to without concern for being re-elected. And he voted for our position four out of four times in this session of Congress.

Now maybe it's because he's retiring to a town not so far from where I live and he simply doesn't want to have to live with me harassing him everyday I happen to be in town after he retires. But I hardly think I am that important.