PDA

View Full Version : Side saddles; your preference?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-18-13, 02:15
I'd like to go ahead and pick up a side saddle for my M4, but I would like to know what you guys are running and why.

On my old 870, I used a 6 shot Mesa Side Saddle. It was very well built, and held shells tightly for the short time that I owned it. Mesa has a reputation for making quality gear, and I would have no problem buying another for my M4.

You also have the awfully expensive SideArmor setups (of $300++) and the awfully shitty Tacstar models as well.

The issue is that I am seeing alot of guys running velcro cards now instead of bolted on carriers. Esstac and RCS/Ares come to mind when talking about velcro cards. I like the idea of being able to run different cards for different ammo, and the ability to slap another card on when your current is dry. What I dont like is the thought of adhesive velcro coming loose on the receiver, the loops wearing out and not holding shells especially after prolonged time being loaded, and the hook and loop material on the actual card wearing out over time.

For guys that do run cards, what are you using and what have the results been? Is anyone using the RCS/Ares setup, and if so how does it compare to the ESSTAC Card system?

zen_grasshopper
04-18-13, 02:42
I use the ESSTAC cards and have used the heck out of them. Elastic is still holding rounds like they day I got the cards. Several of them have been on and off the gun hundreds of times. Both of my shotguns are in vehicles (patrol and personal) and see heat and cold cycles ranging from -10f to 100+f.

Use Industrial strength Velcro brand on the gun and degrease well (I used brake cleaner) and you shouldn't have any problems with the Velcro coming off the gun. And if it does start to go bad, you just replace it when cleaning the gun.

I have used TacStar's and Mesa's in the past and the ESSTAC is all that is on my guns now.

Jon

xrayoneone
04-18-13, 08:13
I avoid the bulk of the side saddle. I use the Davis Speed Stock. Although probably not an option for an M4.

IZinterrogator
04-19-13, 02:51
I have the Sidearmor setup. I got it for the rails so I can have a light where I want it, I have a true M1913 rail on top for an Aimpoint Micro H-1, and I can use their 2-shell holder right by the ejection port if I want to hold slugs. I have both the 6-shell and 8-shell sidesaddles since they can be swapped out with an allen wrench. Great for the modularity, but weighs a ton even when everything but the optic and light is taken off.

kjd2121
04-19-13, 15:42
I tried a 3gungear velcro side saddle on my M2 and while shooting 2 3/4 buckshot rounds the full card would rip off and fall on the ground. Of course the M4 doesn't recoil as much:)

Allen
04-20-13, 10:56
ESSTac cards. Like zen_grasshopper said: de-grease and use industrial Velcro on the gun. Put Velcro from where the stock attaches to the front of the receiver, so you are not trying to align the card perfectly under stress. Buy a few feet of the Velcro, replace it when you need to. If you're worried about the elastic wearing out, rotate the loaded cards once or twice a month. No problem with them coming off under heavy use- bird, buck or slug.

Replace when the elastic wears out. They're consumable. Subscribe to the SKD news letter, every once in a while they do a 4 for the price of 3 on the deal of the day.
Allen

RCI1911
04-22-13, 10:36
I've got a Mesa Tactical and it is a high quality piece of gear. Shells stay where they are suppose to and come out of the side saddle easily when feeding your gun. I've heard good things about the Vang Comp side saddles but have not personally used them. Just by looking at the two systems I think I would prefer the Mesa design.

zibby43
04-23-13, 00:36
I've got a Mesa Tactical and it is a high quality piece of gear. Shells stay where they are suppose to and come out of the side saddle easily when feeding your gun. I've heard good things about the Vang Comp side saddles but have not personally used them. Just by looking at the two systems I think I would prefer the Mesa design.

I had the Mesa Tactical side saddle for my Remington 870 Magpul Edition until I tried this:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/modular-carriers/ammo-carriers/shotgun-shell-carriers/shotshell-carriers

Don't get me wrong, the Mesa Tactical side saddle is a great product.

However, the Raven ModuLoader System is simply phenomenal. It's lighter and more durable than the Mesa Tactical side saddle. Weight savings are huge to me when running an already heavy platform like a 12-guage shotgun.

The ModuLoader system is also easier to install. Finally, I love the ability to quickly rip off an empty panel and slap a fresh one on.

I held on to the Mesa unit as a backup. Couldn't part with something that did in fact serve me well.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-23-13, 08:04
I had the Mesa Tactical side saddle for my Remington 870 Magpul Edition until I tried this:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/modular-carriers/ammo-carriers/shotgun-shell-carriers/shotshell-carriers

Don't get me wrong, the Mesa Tactical side saddle is a great product.

However, the Raven ModuLoader System is simply phenomenal. It's lighter and more durable than the Mesa Tactical side saddle. Weight savings are huge to me when running an already heavy platform like a 12-guage shotgun.

The ModuLoader system is also easier to install. Finally, I love the ability to quickly rip off an empty panel and slap a fresh one on.

I held on to the Mesa unit as a backup. Couldn't part with something that did in fact serve me well.

How is it more durable than the Mesa?

tpd223
04-23-13, 08:37
Replace when the elastic wears out. They're consumable. Subscribe to the SKD news letter, every once in a while they do a 4 for the price of 3 on the deal of the day.
Allen

He means like this;
http://www.skdtac.com/product-p/ess.106-0004.promo.htm

kihnspiracy
04-24-13, 03:34
I have the Mesa 6rd version on my 870P Max.

teflondon100
04-30-13, 21:27
I like the Velcro cards. I own several shotguns and it keeps things simple. No problem with Velcro coming off the weapon yet.

420ollie
04-30-13, 22:23
I use the Esstac shotgun cards. I like the symplicity of being able to have extra ammo on the gun itself and being able to switch them out faster compared to trying to back fill a side saddle. It also costs less.

jbjh
05-01-13, 00:32
Has anyone tried the HSGI cards?

kavants
05-01-13, 09:10
I have the Tacstar on my 870 and on an older Mossy. Never has failed me.

Moose-Knuckle
05-01-13, 15:59
I prefer ESSTAC (http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm) shotgun cards and industrial strength sticky back Velcro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IC2T/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/186-4173917-7526337?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0Z97EM441R63D0ZA0R4Y&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B00006RSP1).

nolt
05-01-13, 18:31
ive used a mesa tactical on my 870 for several years and its been fine.

it started out with a weak grip on the shells when i received it new, but MT sent me a bundle of their 'elastiomer' tube to cut and stick in there to replace what was obviously not up to spec.
dunno why the elastiomer in the new unit was weak but they were quick to send me more and it's held up well for several years.

i just pulled it off and velcro'd the receiver and i have to say i'm happier with the current setup. osoe, esstac cards both work well. great shell retention. the cards hold the shells closer to the receiver but they're not any harder to pull from when in a hurry, so there's that as well...

teflondon100
05-02-13, 06:22
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa213/cappyten/DSC04473.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/cappyten/media/DSC04473.jpg.html)

kdcgrohl
05-02-13, 08:15
I have a Mesa saddle on the 870 and esstac cards with 3M industrial hook & loop on the 500. The Mesa is no doubt more elegant, but I prefer the velcro cards.

nate89
05-07-13, 15:15
I just bought the industrial Velcro (about a 4 or 5 foot roll) and have it on both my 870 and 1100. The adhesive is very strong and I have not had any issue with it peeling or falling off. Even if you do, replacing it is simple. I like the SOE shotgun cards, but there are several good makers that have already been mentioned as well. I like using elastic holders over solid ones like from Mesa mostly because you can peel them off and replace them when empty. Also it seems (to me) a bit easier and faster to get the shells out.

cam68
05-13-13, 00:11
Hello Guys,
I'am looking to get a light for my 870 I have a MOE forend and I was looking at the Magpul Scout Mount could you please give me advice on a light and a mount. Thanks for your help.

nate89
05-13-13, 22:40
I just use a TLR-1 mounted on one section of the polymer MOE rail. It's lightweight and easy to operate with a thumb. I also like the momentary/constant on option.

Mr. Greene
05-18-13, 20:27
another vote for the Mesa Tactical, been using them for 4 years now no complaints. good people too met them at Shot show a couple years back very friendly

CDR_Glock
05-25-13, 20:13
I like my Mesa Tactical 6 shell/mount.

rubiconscott
05-28-13, 22:46
GG&G...I love it

streakpi
05-28-13, 23:10
I use the Mesa 6rd for my Remington 870. Was thinking of the cards. Would y'all use a different velcro than the stuff which comes with the cards via SKD? A "industrial" velcro/glue combo???

prc77
05-28-13, 23:49
Velcro and SOE cards,

The velcro, is far more versatile. Card goes empty, tear it off, slap another one on

wtheesfeld
05-29-13, 01:20
Another mesa6 here

currahee
05-29-13, 23:22
I have good luck with a couple of the TacStars over the years, to the tune of thousands of rounds fired in matches. I did have a screw work its way out on one and had to come back and lock tight it.

I am in the process of building a new 870 and will be going with the ESTAC Velcro cards though. I've mostly heard good things about them and the idea of the rapid change out, as well as cost sold me.

jahwarrior1423
05-30-13, 00:17
Anybody sell Velcro that's cut exactly the size of the receiver of a 870?...I can't find large pieces of Velcro any where...only tiny strips

titsonritz
05-30-13, 04:22
Anybody sell Velcro that's cut exactly the size of the receiver of a 870?...I can't find large pieces of Velcro any where...only tiny strips

No WalMart around?

kdcgrohl
05-30-13, 08:44

I used two 3M strips. One full strip and another partial.

Moose-Knuckle
05-30-13, 15:12

3 Gun Gear sells model specific die cut backers.

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Side-Saddle/Die-Cut-Backer-Replacment-p32.html

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-30-13, 20:56
Ive got a Ares Gear Side Saddle from RCS on the way. I will review it when it comes. BTW, Tom of RCS is just a legit dude.

Noodles
05-30-13, 23:47
3 Gun Gear sells model specific die cut backers.

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Side-Saddle/Die-Cut-Backer-Replacment-p32.html

These are the best.

I can't even begin to describe how much better the 3gungear backer with some good cards (I like the ares) are over a Mesa or other aluminum part. I can empty a side saddle so quickly I might as well be pocket loading, plus the Velcro doesn't drop rounds like aluminum WILL (even if it hasn't for you yet).

jb1911
06-02-13, 10:22
I've got a Mesa 6-shell holder on my main 870 now, but I use velcro and cards on another one I own:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8393/8676149248_2603621a86_b.jpg

I'm going to break the love train for the Esstac cards and recommend SOE cards.
The Esstac cards have a curve to them and when you put shells in
them, they curve even more. The SOE cards stay flat no matter
what you do to them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7126/7517558138_8bdc7d06bd_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7112/7517562034_ccb5083871_b.jpg

Here's a good place to get Velcro:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_184582-388-90593_5005562__?ipTrail=136.1.1.102&productId=1052627&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4024f424f4%5D&storeNumber=1601&UserSearch=industrial+strength+bleach&Ntt=industrial+strength+bleach&identifier=3&page=1&searchQueryType=1&rpp=32

hlpressley
06-03-13, 20:30
These are made by a local guy here in NC and they are awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7bDPuoOfaU

Miami_JBT
06-17-13, 00:07
Tac-Star works fine on my Remington 870 Express Magnum and FN SLP.

Shao
06-18-13, 08:54
I've gone through a number of side saddles before settling on a Mesa Tactical 8 round model. I use the rough half of Velcro tape reinforced with superglue to line the inside of the shell holders to keep the shells nice and snug.

RiggerGod
06-20-13, 04:24
I've had the pleasure of owning and using most of the products mentioned here: the tac-star, Mesa, and Raven/Ares side saddles.

The tacstar:
Well, they were my first. They work but have poor shell retention, are overly complicated, are easily misused, (stripping out threading on the aluminum back plate &/or pinching the receiver), covering the S/N (big deal for the LEO/MIL folks in the house), and have fortunately been improved upon.

The MESA side saddles
Are a step in the right direction. The T6 construction is much better, the mounting system is much better, shell retention still leaves something to be desired and they are kind of pricey. Better but not perfect.

Finally the Raven/Ares Gear card/side saddle.
I've only been using it for 6th months but so far it's about perfect. I like that it is cheaper (Sort of... one is cheaper, several can quickly add up!), can be tailored to magazine size (I run a 14" gun w/ a +1 extension so I like 5 round cards.), are quicker to "reload", I cut out a window for my S/N, and most importantly you can use the standard trigger pins which means that you can drop the trigger group to properly clean and lubricate it! I like this as this seems like an often neglected area of maintenance.
On the potential down side: I keep waiting for the velcro to fail and/or to drop a card, worse yet a full one when I need it!
But so far, like Mickey D's: I'm lovin it!

Will545
06-20-13, 16:06
Anyone know if there are 20 gauge velcro cards out there? If not, are any of the 12 gauge offerings tight enough to work with 20 gauge shells?

Noodles
06-20-13, 16:12
Anyone know if there are 20 gauge velcro cards out there? If not, are any of the 12 gauge offerings tight enough to work with 20 gauge shells?

I'm sure there are somewhere, although I haven't seen them.

DBR
06-22-13, 11:34
This is the best Velcro I have found for firearms applications:
http://www.itapestore.com/velcrotapehookloopacrylicadhesive.aspx

The 1 1/2" width fits my 870 receiver perfectly.

This outfit has reasonable prices and good service.

Genuine Velcro Brand hook and loop is generally quite a bit better than some of the off brands.