PDA

View Full Version : Smooth trigger on G19-pros and cons

PLCedeno
04-18-13, 05:19
I recently swapped out the OEM trigger with trigger bar on my G19 for the smooth faced one that comes standard on the 17. I did this to have some consistency in the feel between the group in the stable. It feels better. How many of you have done this and does anyone see a con in this? BTW im not talking legalities here-just benefit or not of shooting characteristics.

Bodhi
04-18-13, 05:37
I recently swapped out the OEM trigger with trigger bar on my G19 for the smooth faced one that comes standard on the 17. I did this to have some consistency in the feel between the group in the stable. It feels better. How many of you have done this and does anyone see a con in this? BTW im not talking legalities here-just benefit or not of shooting characteristics.

I have had it on my gun for quite some time. I don't see any cons to doing this.

mikejg
04-18-13, 06:07
I recently did this as well. It feels 10x better IMO. Prior to the change I didn't think it would make much difference. I was wrong.

brushy bill
04-18-13, 06:53
Something I have done to my smaller Glocks as well. Worthwhile in my opinion.

mayonaise
04-18-13, 09:38
I always do this on the midsize and sub compacts. The only reason there are serrated triggers on them is for the ATF points system.

Littlelebowski
04-18-13, 09:39
There are no cons.

Up1911fan
04-18-13, 10:00
I've always done this with the compacts and sub-compacts.

sammage
04-18-13, 10:19
The only con is wanting to do it with your other compact and subcompact Glocks.

Spurholder
04-18-13, 10:23
Less than $20 of parts and 5 minutes of time to swap the parts out. No cons.

Failure2Stop
04-18-13, 10:24
I did it with my Gen 3s, but haven't bothered since going over to Gen 4s, mostly due to the desire to stay as stock as possible for the instruction aspect.

Rattlehead
04-18-13, 11:06
I do it to all of mine.
No cons IMO.

samuse
04-18-13, 11:31
I got into a kick a few years ago when I thought it was a great idea so I swapped mine out for smooth ones.

Since then I've decided that it absolutely does not make even a tiny little bit of difference.

No point.

Code3Patriot
04-18-13, 11:44
All seven of my G19s have G17 triggers.

There are no cons.

DBZ220
04-18-13, 14:43
I did the smooth trigger swap on my old G23 duty weapon. I don't use Glocks anymore, but that weapon had no issues in the 6K through it after the parts swap.
If I had to go back to the compact and subcompact models, I'd do the swap again with no reservations.

DBR
04-18-13, 17:40
IME with more than two dozen Glocks of various models, when you swap the trigger bar and/or connector you have to be sure the cruciform (sear) engagement is correct.

No matter what Glock says about interchangeable parts there is considerable variation due to frame tolerances and they have some way of allowing for it at the factory.

I have had a Glock 23, a Glock 32 and a Glock 27 that had problems with sear engagement after changing out trigger bars. The 23 and the 32 fired a second round on trigger release and the 27 had so much engagement it almost would not release.

These were Gen 2 and 2 1/2 guns. Maybe it is not an issue anymore.

twistedcomrade
04-18-13, 19:29
Now I know why my G19 and G21 triggers are different. Meh, I have no issue with my current G19 trigger.

CoryCop25
04-18-13, 19:44
My favorite mod. There are no cons. No legality issues either.

Spiffums
04-18-13, 20:31
My favorite mod. There are no cons. No legality issues either.

Ladies and Gentelmen of the Jury in CoryCop25's wanton blood lust he traded out the "target" trigger for the evil killing "combat" trigger!!!! :D

CoryCop25
04-18-13, 20:34
Ladies and Gentelmen of the Jury in CoryCop25's wanton blood lust he traded out the "target" trigger for the evil killing "combat" trigger!!!! :D

Don't forget the minus connector and the polish job on all the parts! :dirol: Even if this was my duty gun, NO ONE around here anyway would ever know that there was anything different than a bone stock Glock if it came to that.... And I think the smooth one is the "target" trigger.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/Guns/D7864947-1CD3-4F89-9A94-D4BD3590410F-2782-00000166C6865D89.jpg (http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/CoryCop25/media/Guns/D7864947-1CD3-4F89-9A94-D4BD3590410F-2782-00000166C6865D89.jpg.html)

AFCATM
04-18-13, 20:43
I was bored and sanded off 90% of the serrations off. I then stippled it slightly. Just enough texture to keep my finger glued on the trigger when I shoot rapid follow up shots. From time to time if I was shooting fast follow up shots and trying to go for a good reset I found my trigger migh slip just a little if I had sweaty or wet hands. Not now it is like I velcroed my finger to the trigger. Safety still good to go. I was going to do what you did but figured I would try this first since it was going to go bye bye anyways.

tony413
04-18-13, 20:52
how much have you actually shot the gun with the serrated trigger??? personally i have a G22 with smooth trigger and a G23 with serrated trigger and use them equally as much and guess what??? my shooting groups do not change

cktenders
04-18-13, 21:06
Nothing to do with group size. Has to do with comfort while shooting high round counts or consecutive days (of shooting.)

tony413
04-18-13, 21:53
thats understandable do whats comfortable to you i still havent been able to tell the difference :meeting:

Vlobb
04-18-13, 23:14
IME with more than two dozen Glocks of various models, when you swap the trigger bar and/or connector you have to be sure the cruciform (sear) engagement is correct.

No matter what Glock says about interchangeable parts there is considerable variation due to frame tolerances and they have some way of allowing for it at the factory.

I have had a Glock 23, a Glock 32 and a Glock 27 that had problems with sear engagement after changing out trigger bars. The 23 and the 32 fired a second round on trigger release and the 27 had so much engagement it almost would not release.

These were Gen 2 and 2 1/2 guns. Maybe it is not an issue anymore.

I'll second this. It pays to order an orange slide cover plate also to check for proper engagement after installation.

A minimum of 2/3rds of the surface area of the back leg of the trigger bar should be in contact with the firing pin lug when the action is set and the slide is fully forward. (Proper Engagement)

denn1911
04-19-13, 01:10
I've swapped all of mine to the smooth triggers. In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to swapping for a smooth trigger.

Michael2007
04-19-13, 01:47
I enjoy the smooth trigger much more than the serrated one. It's also a great reason to get on YouTube and break down your gun beyond field stripping.

kantstudien
04-19-13, 02:35
The grooved trigger is only for ATF importation points on the smaller size Glocks since they don't have enough points due to their size, unlike the full-size models. The grooves make it a "target trigger."

If you plan on doing any high-round count shooting, then swapping for the smooth trigger is almost a must in my opinion.

Mak8080
04-19-13, 10:08
I do this mod as well. There are no cons on my end.

Spiffums
04-19-13, 13:52
Don't forget the minus connector and the polish job on all the parts! :dirol: Even if this was my duty gun, NO ONE around here anyway would ever know that there was anything different than a bone stock Glock if it came to that.... And I think the smooth one is the "target" trigger.

NICE!!

I thought the 'target' trigger were in the compacts and sub for the points with ATF.

CoryCop25
04-19-13, 14:23
I thought the 'target' trigger were in the compacts and sub for the points with ATF.

You are correct. I was not.

rauchman
04-19-13, 14:29
Yup, both my G19's and G23 have the flat faced trigger. No con's that I've ever experienced.

Failure2Stop
04-19-13, 14:58
I was bored and sanded off 90% of the serrations off. I then stippled it slightly. Just enough texture to keep my finger glued on the trigger when I shoot rapid follow up shots. From time to time if I was shooting fast follow up shots and trying to go for a good reset I found my trigger migh slip just a little if I had sweaty or wet hands. Not now it is like I velcroed my finger to the trigger. Safety still good to go. I was going to do what you did but figured I would try this first since it was going to go bye bye anyways.

This is usually the exact opposite of what you want on a Glock trigger.
The most successful trigger manipulation technique with Glocks is to allow the trigger finger to lead the press with the tip of the finger with the trigger placed on or near the first joint of the trigger finger. For it to work the best, the finger needs to slide a little over the face of the trigger during the press.

Surf talks about it in a decent video he put together on trigger control. I'll see if I can dig it up.

ETA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_878576&feature=iv&src_vid=MxEhXOQbrUc&v=4nlAmKLDT0E

Here's a more recent one isolating the trigger finger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxEhXOQbrUc

ETA 2:
It's important to remember that different triggers benefit from different trigger manipulation techniques. What works on a tuned 1911 is different than what works on a Glock if you are doing anything other than slow-fire.

NYH1
04-19-13, 19:55
I put smooth triggers in all my glocks that didn't come with them. I've never had any trouble with them.

NYH1.