PDA

View Full Version : The RS AKR Picatinny Mount

96 SS
04-18-13, 07:52
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529842_511239738913082_226969907_n.jpg

After working for several years on the AKS dual 30mm ring mount and finding more problems than answers, we decided to move forward and produce the AKR Picatinny Mount. The AKR allows the mounting of any 1913 optics and would not restrict the user to a straight 30mm tube optic or to optics of a specific range of eye relief.

By making the AKR part of the AK-300 Modular Side Mount family we have multiple points of improvement, especially compared to the fixed AKS designs we had been working with.

The AKR is truly modular. Not only do you retain the ability to place the optic directly over-bore on any AK with a side rail, but you now can adjust the position of the optic front to back. This front to back adjustment is also now two fold. You can move the optic on the AKR for optimum positioning, and you can move the AKR upper on the AK-300 lower as needed.
The AKR is also universal in mounting practically any optic. One can now mount a 40mm objective lens scope as easily as a straight tube or even a micro optic such as a FastFireIII.
At 2.25 ounces with all hardware the AKR is light weight, and includes a channel in the mount to allow use of the iron sights if your optic allows for this option.
Being part of the AK-300 Modular Side Mount family also allows you to change your upper or lower as needed and as desired without having to repurchase the entire side mount, potentially saving you hundreds.

And as always, no modifications either permanent or temporary are required to use the AK-300 family. Installation and removal are a matter of seconds. Retains zero.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/44846_511239728913083_1042924050_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/72813_511239742246415_1848347068_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/392594_510347125669010_1076354882_n.jpg

In the Precision Semi-Auto forum we will be stretching the legs of the attached rifle, the Krebs DMR 54R with the AKR mount. More details on the rifle are included in that section.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=127887

mkmckinley
04-18-13, 08:19
That looks great. You guys are really pushing the envelope of AK optic mounting solutions. It looks like it will work with any of the AK-300 bases i.e. front, rear and full. Is that the case? Also, do you recommend a method for accurately centering the mount/optic over the bore on an AK? Given that Kalashnikov style rifles tend to flex a little what's your recommended clearance between the optic and the rear sight to avoid them hitting eachother under recoil?

96 SS
04-18-13, 08:35
For precision optics like scopes etc, it is best to use a laser initially like you would traditionally do when bore sighting. For red dots I use the front sight post.

I would not use the AKR with the AK-301 as the 301 was heavily sculpted to reduce weight, but the 303 and 302 would be good candidates.

As for clearances I suggest between 1/16" and 1/8" for reasonable cases. Higher end of that for .308 and 54R, lower for .223 and 5.45x39mm.

ChocLab
04-18-13, 13:00
96 SS,

Love your design and engineering on this scope mount. Awesome work.

Question.

Is it possible, with moving your mount to the rear, to mount say a low profile ghost ring toward the back then an aimpoint in front and still have some type of co-witness. My gut says no.

It would appear that the pic. rail portion of the mount is to high for that application or that the front sight would need to be mounted on a forward rail but that starts increasing the height over bore.

Also if the moveable pic. rail is move backward it would seem that it would be harder to get the top cover off.

The only way to accomplish that type of setup is with a TWS type top cover rail. I am just not sold on the stability of any top cover mounts and the ability to get them off to clear a malfunction.

Rear ghost type sights are not a need for me on an AK just letting the engineer in me think.

If this makes sense how I am explaining it, an all in one top rear sight mount with out the extra rail that attaches to your lower portion one would allow a person to shoot irons only. This imaginary device would have a limited market and potential top cover issues.

PS The current scope mount looks like a winner for a .308 Saiga type rifle :) great job again.

96 SS
04-18-13, 15:01
96 SS,

Love your design and engineering on this scope mount. Awesome work.

Question.

Is it possible, with moving your mount to the rear, to mount say a low profile ghost ring toward the back then an aimpoint in front and still have some type of co-witness. My gut says no.

It would appear that the pic. rail portion of the mount is to high for that application or that the front sight would need to be mounted on a forward rail but that starts increasing the height over bore.

Thank you.

It would depend on the individual rifle and the individual ghost ring to be used. The AKR would sit low enough for some rings, but checking on your particular rifle would be best first.

Also if the moveable pic. rail is move backward it would seem that it would be harder to get the top cover off.

Correct. You can move it forward for easier access/point of balance, or rearward for your desires. If full rearward on some rifles it might make pulling the dust cover difficult or impossible.
Knowing this possibility I designed the mounts to remove and re-install with no loss of zero.

just letting the engineer in me think.

Good to know I'm not the only one.
I love new ideas - so much so that some nights I don't get any sleep because the darn things won't stop swirling.

Campbell
04-18-13, 19:28
Very nice....business as usual.:cool:

ChocLab
04-21-13, 12:16
96 SS,

I wanted to ask your opinion of this mod to Tech Sights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvEg9rRWlQ

Any item that won't let you take the dust cover off to clear a malfunction is a no go for me. FWIW I don't own tech sights.

Looks like one could use your Aimpoint mount and do this tech sight mod and still get the dust cover off.

Feel free to PM if that is more appropriate and I will delete this post so as not to clog up your thread.

Part of me is glad I am an engineer with no CNC tools/machine shop available or I would be at it like an addiction ;)

96 SS
04-21-13, 21:49
I am not a fan of removing anything that has been proven through decades of combat.

Removing critical weapon components and replacing them is a no-go in my book. That is one of the main reasons I design with no modifications in mind.

ChocLab
04-21-13, 23:25
^ Thanks. Got it. Makes a lot of sense!

96 SS
05-08-13, 09:03
RS AKR ships today to dealers and distributors.

SPQR476
05-08-13, 09:19
Nice work, Scot. Really like it.