PDA

View Full Version : Redback One Sights

dmaxfireman
04-18-13, 12:44
I have these on my G19 and love them. I can acquire a sight picture with both eyes open much easier and faster than the factory 3dot night sights.

I want to convert my G30 to these sights as well but I am concerned with how far off my POI will be. Can anyone with more experience offer me some expertise or insight.

04-18-13, 16:14
The RB1 sights are simply a variation 10-8's Glock sight, which tons of people use, so there's a decent amount of data out there.

The RB1 front sight is .215 tall, which is the standard 10-8 height recommended for 9mm guns. Most people that use 10-8 sights on .45 Glocks use the .235 height, as the point of impact has the chance of being somewhat high with the standard .215 height.

However, there's lots of variation out there, and there's no one exact answer to the 'which sight height?' question. It comes down to slight variation in guns, as well as what your preferred sight picture is.

I personally have a Gen 3 G21 wearing 10-8s with the .215 height front sight. at 7 yards, it hits about 1.5" higher than the tip of the front post, and ~3" higher than the tip of the post at 25 yards. I actually kind of prefer this sight picture, as it allows me to actually see the area of impact at 25 yards, which makes hitting low probability targets at distance much easier. It's basically a slight 6 O'clock hold. ETA: this is with 230gr Gold Dots, and the ballistically identical 230gr Speer Lawman. POI obviously changes slightly when you shoot stuff of varying weights and velocities.

It's important to remember that the changes in front sight height affect POI very little (.007" of sight height = 1" change at 25 yards, per 10-8), so you're talking about fairly small differences.

I'm not sure if they sell an RB1 rear sight only, but you could potentially mix and match with a regular .235 10-8 front sight if you were really worried about a high POI. Though, then it wouldn't be an RB1 front sight, of couse... Just something to think about.

dmaxfireman
04-18-13, 17:42
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the input!